Sabrina Ionescu to return for senior season with Oregon women’s basketball | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu to return for senior season with Oregon women’s basketball

Reaction Score
7V66OAT7XJEYBM4DEF5QPXKNQA.jpg

Letter to Duck Nation

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Bad for Stanford, great for the PAC-12, great for WCBB in general. Glad we'll have her in the game one more year. And solves Vegas's problem of not needing another point guard but having the #1 draft pick.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ha..... seems like alot of people thought it was a done deal she's be in the WNBA this season.

Reaction Score
I honestly thought she was gone. She obviously wants to leave with a championship.

Oregon should be preseason #1 next year with Baylor at #2

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Gonna pat myself on the back. I heard she was more willing to come back then turn pro. Many here thought otherwise. I feel differently about Young— i think she goes! It would be her team if she stayed and a definite All American if she stays which i hope she does.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ha..... seems like alot of people thought it was a done deal she's be in the WNBA this season.
People were projecting their frustration at Azura having gone pro last year.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Kudos to her for staying. I thought for sure she would go on to the WNBA. Oregon will be a force next year, for sure.

Reaction Score
I think Young will stay, she could have a chance at a 3rd straight championship, and would have to play like the NPOY for that to happen, an award she could win, she would also improve her draft stock.

Reaction Score
Oregon and Baylor will be the favorites next season despite what happens tonight. Cazorla will be tough to replace but if the younger Sabalay is healthy then the Ducks could win it all. Ionescu is very, very talented and the supporting cast isn't bad at all.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
After reading the Players Tribune article that Sabrina penned, I'm not surprised. There's a lot more she can do to improve her game and prep for the WNBA and international leagues. If you listen to what other pro players say about the transition from college to pro, many of them long for the days of structure, the family atmosphere of college programs, and how everyone is expected to commit at the same level. As a pro, you are mostly on your own regarding your training and preparation.

I also enjoyed her realization about her current skills and needed improvements via Kobe's video. He's a keen mind, and sees the little things. Remember, he sat with Katie Lou last year after the ND lost and convinced her to watch the tape, and pointed out many things beyond what she was doing on the court, to help her see a bigger picture.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
And I think when the best WCBB players transition to the W and then flounder, it doesn't make the sport look good (I'm thinking of folks like Kelsey Plum, who really struggled in her first year.) If an extra year helps make Sabrina an instant start in the W, it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I've always said to the hubby, just because you are a prolific scorer in WCBB, it won't make you a good/great pro. You have to do other thing well. DT could have been a higher scorer in college, but it wasn't needed, however, she could also play defense, and most importantly, IMHO, she has a hoop brain. If you aren't properly prepared for the WNBA, you will disappear quickly.

Even in the men's game, high scorers aren't a lock. Remember Jimmer Fredette (BYU)? He beat Kemba Walker for POY in 2011, however he's wandered around the NBA (and China). And yes, I know that this was a collegiate award, but I appreciate when players are evaluated on entire body of work, not just one facet. Kemba, OTOH, has turned into pretty good pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom