OT: - Sabrina Ionescu drops 33 in debut | The Boneyard

OT: Sabrina Ionescu drops 33 in debut

Reaction Score
KLS went 4-5 and 2-3. Her +/- was +20 in 19 min
I've seen any number of games where KLS doesn't get many shots up - pass before shoot or not getting the ball when she would have a good look. Getting eight shots in 20 or so minutes is not bad and (hopefully) indicates Dallas wants her in the offense.

Going 6-8 lifts the spirits of a shooter wonderfully. Katie Lou needed a good game and I'm happy to see her get it.

Reaction Score
And that would be the first thing she would tell you.
More importantly, it shows Liberty can’t play as a team and if Ionesco scores 33 every game, they will lose every game.

Reaction Score
KLS went 4-5 and 2-3. Her +/- was +20 in 19 min
Her coach learned from his mistakes in first game, kept Arike in check, and better used his bench. KLS needs to have more plays designed to take advantage of her excellent three point shooting, though she also cut well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
More importantly, it shows Liberty can’t play as a team and if Ionesco scores 33 every game, they will lose every game.

They are going to lose most of their games regardless of how much Ionescu scores or doesn't score. They don't have a roster built for winning WNBA games.

edit--Bonner scored 34 but the Sun is about to lose to the Sparks. Must be Bonner's fault for scoring too many points. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They don't seem to have the talent to compete with the better teams. Sabrina's frustration could be seen at times. She will probably go through the same things Tuck, Jefferson, and Stewart went through in their rookie year. They were not used to losing so much. It's likely that when her team surrounds her with better talent, she will accomplish as much in the WNBA as she did in college, minus the triple doubles, and the team will start competing for championships.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They don't seem to have the talent to compete with the better teams. Sabrina's frustration could be seen at times. She will probably go through the same things Tuck, Jefferson, and Stewart went through in their rookie year. They were not used to losing so much. It's likely that when her team surrounds her with better talent, she will accomplish as much in the WNBA as she did in college, minus the triple doubles, and the team will start competing for championships.

I love her competitiveness. You could see the steam rising from her head. Early in the game, she was making full court passes that the Liberty players were fumbling out of bounds. Should have had > 10 assists. And her game was very diverse. Tough driver and finisher. I am embarrassed that I had anointed Chennedy Carter ROY after 1 game :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are going to lose most of their games regardless of how much Ionescu scores or doesn't score. They don't have a roster built for winning WNBA games.

edit--Bonner scored 34 but the Sun is about to lose to the Sparks. Must be Bonner's fault for scoring too many points. :rolleyes:
I am still amazed at the mindset of people in sports. Why is it that no one seems to be focused on the TEAM as a whole? 1 outstanding performer does not make a team. You build a team around athletes that know each others likes / dislikes / skill sets and you work together to improve (as a team). If they can stay together long enough w/o being traded or leave for 'greener pastures' they WILL excel, as a team. That's why UCONN WBB is so successful. Geno knew this way before any other teams did and he has a legacy to prove it. Remember too, scoring is just 1 asset. To be a great player you need defensive skills as well!

Reaction Score

It isn’t one person just scoring a lot of points. It is a question of how those points are scored. Is it one person taking off on their own or is it a designed team plan? I also take issue with overall team quality. We see that only 144 women make WNBA squads, drawing from Ionesco’s class back to Sue Bird’s. That should mean parity. It doesn’t, of course, because there are people called coaches who apparently can make a difference, right Geno? True, Liberty boxed themselves into a rookie trap. It may pay off in the future but a wheeling and dealing management ought to be able to put together a winning team now given the talent pool. Again, great players will score, no one can argue against that, but are they outriders or part of a scheme? The Mystics lost their big guns. The Mystics are undefeated.

Reaction Score
I've seen any number of games where KLS doesn't get many shots up - pass before shoot or not getting the ball when she would have a good look. Getting eight shots in 20 or so minutes is not bad and (hopefully) indicates Dallas wants her in the offense.

Going 6-8 lifts the spirits of a shooter wonderfully. Katie Lou needed a good game and I'm happy to see her get it.

Lou got up five shots not 8, she was 4 of 5 not 6 - 8.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I am still amazed at the mindset of people in sports. Why is it that no one seems to be focused on the TEAM as a whole? 1 outstanding performer does not make a team. You build a team around athletes that know each others likes / dislikes / skill sets and you work together to improve (as a team). If they can stay together long enough w/o being traded or leave for 'greener pastures' they WILL excel, as a team. That's why UCONN WBB is so successful. Geno knew this way before any other teams did and he has a legacy to prove it. Remember too, scoring is just 1 asset. To be a great player you need defensive skills as well!
Isn't that what nwhoopfan's post is saying?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Lou got up five shots not 8, she was 4 of 5 not 6 - 8.
That is probably my fault. In my post I wrote that she went 4-5 and 2-3. So if @and one just added the two sets of figures the result would be 6-8. I should have made it clear that she 4-5 from the floor overall and 2-3 from 3 point range. BTW she added a pair of freebies to finish with 12 points total. Sorry for the confusion!

Reaction Score
That is probably my fault. In my post I wrote that she went 4-5 and 2-3. So if @and one just added the two sets of figures the result would be 6-8. I should have made it clear that she 4-5 from the floor overall and 2-3 from 3 point range. BTW she added a pair of freebies to finish with 12 points total. Sorry for the confusion!
Yes, I thought this might have confused people doing a quick read. Still, 4 of 5 is good. Coaches are reluctant to implement game plans for long distance bombers. If KLS were in a Mystics uniform, she would have score 24.

Reaction Score
Thanks for coming to my defense Bama. The "and" did lead me astray, but going with the convention of total shots/shots made and 3 pt shots/3pt shots made would have been the better choice there on my part. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

That's 100% on her teammates. Sabrina didn't take bad shots and would've had 10+ assists if her teammates could finish open looks. New York roster wise just looks awful this year with Charles/Durr out and Nurse twisted her ankle but has been a no show so far.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I think with Charles and Durr out the team may struggle all season. If her teammates don't play better I think Sabrina will have a hard time winning any individual awards because teams will start double and triple teaming her. However, I believe the team will get better.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I really felt like this would be the proving ground for Ionescu.....and boy did she prove herself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom