S16: Who will be least likely to return ? | The Boneyard

S16: Who will be least likely to return ?

Who is least likely to be back in the Sweet 16?

• Oregon

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Maryland

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Louisville

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Oregon St

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Stanford

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Florida St

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other 8 (UConn, UCLA, Baylor, Miss St, ND, Ohio St, Texas, SC, )

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Last year's Sweet 16 included:
UConn, UCLA, Oregon, Maryland
Baylor, Louisville, Washington, Miss St
NDame, Ohio St, Texas, Stanford
So Car, Quinnipiac, Fla St, Ore St

I would say Quinnipiac and Wash longshots to return to the Sweet 16.
Beyond that, who is least likely to be back?

Reaction Score
To the person who voted "Other": which team? Or is just picking the "field" over the others?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sad beaver.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I voted "other" - just voted, so not the one you're asking about - but I'll answer. I'm thinking that at least one of those teams (I think 3 have at least a chance of not making it) vs. having to choose among the others - where I also think there are 3 possibilities, but I would have to choose one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Oregon St. (I'm assuming that's what this is a reference to) is much more likely to return to the Sweet 16 than Washington. UW is basically starting from scratch. OSU will miss Wiese but they have quite a few experienced players returning and I think they'll surprise some people.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good thread! Hard question. Speculating without knowing matchups are tricky but I chose other--tOSU.

I'm intrigued how they will look with a potential roster of 9 players. They didn't sign a 2017 unless it's a walk on or late sign. Yes they have Mitchell but she is so hot/cold.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I said Louisville. I don't think they're as strong next year without Moore, and I think Walz is one of the more overrated coaches out there. I also think Maryland will be a lot better than most are expecting, and teams like Florida State, Oregon State and Stanford is have better coaching the Louisville. Oregon has too much going for them....and the other all *should* all make it. Ohio State I'm not sold on though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I voted for the Beavers, but the true answer could be "more than a few." Looking at the players that each team lost last year, only Texas, Oregon, UCLA and of course the Huskies appear to be clearly more talented than last season. While I would expect traditional powerhouses like SC, Baylor, ND & Stanford, along with MS St to make it back to the Sweet 16, those teams, along with the others listed, are all vulnerable.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My vote is Maryland.

Between graduation and transfers, the Terps lost a very large portion of the offense. I don't think Brenda has the horses this coming season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I voted other. Washington.

They were gutted this off season.. it's essentially season 1, episode 1 for them..

Reaction Score
I voted for the Beavers, but the true answer could be "more than a few." Looking at the players that each team lost last year, only Texas, Oregon, UCLA and of course the Huskies appear to be clearly more talented than last season. While I would expect traditional powerhouses like SC, Baylor, ND & Stanford, along with MS St to make it back to the Sweet 16, those teams, along with the others listed, are all vulnerable.

I agree with almost every word your write--I'm a follower/not a leader.
My slant on Miss St bends greatly to the left--It is easier the first time to break into the big dance than it is to return (My personal opinion). Teams that took them lightly last year-won't do that again. A slight change in their personnel--MAY-not serve them well. But as the man says: Who knows??
FYI--I consider the NCAA tourney past the 64/32 clean out--the big dance.

Reaction Score
I voted other. Washington.

They were gutted this off season.. it's essentially season 1, episode 1 for them..

I had removed Washington (& Quinnipiac) from the discussion since those are no-brainers. You were supposed to pick from among the rest. :)

Reaction Score

2017 was indeed an outlier with 12 returning teams. The norm is around 9.

upload_2017-7-27_12-53-45.png

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A few of the teams did lose a lot. SC lost three of their top players. I think they still will be alright. I will say Ohio State. Is the team listed I pick. I think Texas may be the most dangerous team of the ones listed.

Reaction Score
A few of the teams did lose a lot. SC lost three of their top players. I think they still will be alright. I will say Ohio State. Is the team listed I pick. I think Texas may be the most dangerous team of the ones listed.

Tenn lost a lot as well how do you think you guys will fare? Sweet 16 or bust?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oregon St. (I'm assuming that's what this is a reference to) is much more likely to return to the Sweet 16 than Washington. UW is basically starting from scratch. OSU will miss Wiese but they have quite a few experienced players returning and I think they'll surprise some people.

Well Washington wasnt an option. I tried to decide between the Beavers and the Turtles.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I think Oregon St. is going to surprise a lot of you. They shrugged off the loss of Weisner and Hamblin the year before like it was nothing. I think Rueck has established a system that works and a winning culture there and they will continue to thrive.

Washington and Quinnipiac not being options threw me off, even though both seem unlikely.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I think Oregon St. is going to surprise a lot of you. They shrugged off the loss of Weisner and Hamblin the year before like it was nothing. I think Rueck has established a system that works and a winning culture there and they will continue to thrive.

Washington and Quinnipiac not being options threw me off, even though both seem unlikely.

I am hoping that the Beavers do well this season...... before and after November 25 :D

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I don't know how well they will do this season exactly, but in principle I agree about Rueck and his system. Thriving just may not mean Sweet 16 every year. For a very long time Jim Foster made the S16 almost every year, but never did better. Thriving might just be E8 one year, round of 32 one year, and final 4 the next. As a Pac12 fan, I really like how virtually all the programs are stepping up in the coaching department. Look for Arizona to enter the mix in a couple of years - solid recruiting and impressive coaching.

I don't think simply consistently making the S16 is necessarily thriving. Then again, I'd take it in a heartbeat for Rutgers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom