s Kemba's tourney run the best of the 2000's? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

s Kemba's tourney run the best of the 2000's?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He was no Kemba, but does anyone here remember John Wallace from Syracuse? He was years ago (a senior in 1995), but he literally put the Orange on his back. They lost to Kentucky in the Finals, but man - what a player, and what a run.

Reaction Score
That run is legendary. To me its the foundation for him being an NBA All Star.

It did for Kemba what Michael Jordan's game winning shot against Georgetown in the Championship did for his career.

Life changing moments like that puts your confidence level at a point where self doubt is permanently eliminated. Few get that, but Tiger, Brady and others had their own moments.

If Kemba would have been eliminated in the first round, I'm not sure his career would have been like it is now. Its the moment when destiny and purpose are confirmed. Its the moment when the 'beast' was created/born so to speak.

Just saying Kemba has more than talent, that run was his destiny. He was not going to miss that Pittsburgh shot and he knew it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He was no Kemba, but does anyone here remember John Wallace from Syracuse? He was years ago (a senior in 1995), but he literally put the Orange on his back. They lost to Kentucky in the Finals, but man - what a player, and what a run.
Second is the first loser

Reaction Score
Buzz’s run was just as good, arguably less talent and had to go through the #1 overall seed. Never trailed in the finals.

Reaction Score
Considering the OP was asking about the best run of the 2000's, I don't think Manning qualifies.
Yeah I was reading about Alcindor in this thread so I thought it diverged. True to the Boneyard mantra...

Reaction Score
Buzz’s run was just as good, arguably less talent and had to go through the #1 overall seed. Never trailed in the finals.
The only difference was the 5 in 5 BE run. But that was a huge factor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And Sparty who everybody was picking to win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had forgotten Wichita State thought he couldn't take contact and played bump-a-Kemba in that Maui game, so he killed them from the line.
IIRC, Shocker fans think they got jobbed late that game. I watched the game but I forget why. If they won they would have made the dance.

Reaction Score
Kemba's run was definitely more impressive no doubt. Just casually pointing out we had two amazing runs.
It’s a fair comparison. Lamb is flourishing in the NBA and Kemba also had Bazz (though obviously just a freshman). Bazz had a bunch of role players. Many of the shots he took, never mind made, in that run were just ridiculous. Yes Boat and Daniels were solid, but Kemba’s supporting cast was better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bazz's run was the better feat. 2011 was a three seed and everyone new they were dangerous but Kemba was a better player in 2011 than Bazz was in 2014 and carried more of the load. 2014 was more about defense and FT shooting than the impact of their trancendent player.

In terms of best run:
2014>2011
Kemba>Bazz

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah I was reading about Alcindor in this thread so I thought it diverged. True to the Boneyard mantra...

OP was based on question of whether Kemba's run was best of the 2k years tourneys. To that I say an emphatic yes. And the gap between Kemba and #2 is greater than the ga between 2 and 3.

Someone then added a Tony K question of whether Kemba is the best tournament Ayer ever. I would say no. Kemba had one great run where he absolutely put a team on his shoulders but several others have had multiple great tournament runs and accompliments. So, if you look at the totality of a player's entire NCAA tournament history, no I don't think Kemba is the best. If you go to a more general "best player to play in any tournament- Conference, Maui, the old Alaska Shootout" whatever, I still there are others more accomplished.

Reaction Score
Bazz's run was the better feat. 2011 was a three seed and everyone new they were dangerous but Kemba was a better player in 2011 than Bazz was in 2014 and carried more of the load. 2014 was more about defense and FT shooting than the impact of their trancendent player.

In terms of best run:
2014>2011
Kemba>Bazz

I don't see how anyone can be better than Bazz in 2014. We just need to say Kemba (2011) and Bazz (2014) were equals, both were perfect, you can't be better than perfect.

To those who say 2014 was more talented than 2011, Phil Nolan was our starting center in 2014.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can be better than Bazz in 2014. We just need to say Kemba (2011) and Bazz (2014) were equals, both were perfect, you can't be better than perfect.

To those who say 2014 was more talented than 2011, Phil Nolan was our starting center in 2014.
they were more talented

Reaction Score

but bazz And boat were known as a dangerous backcourt. remember charles saying ain’t no way uconn beatin michigan state and kenny smith said he’s going uconn because guard play wins every time and those are two great guards. boat is way underrated for his role in 2014.

Reaction Score
It’s a fair comparison. Lamb is flourishing in the NBA and Kemba also had Bazz (though obviously just a freshman). Bazz had a bunch of role players. Many of the shots he took, never mind made, in that run were just ridiculous. Yes Boat and Daniels were solid, but Kemba’s supporting cast was better.
Boat and Daniels were better than solid.

Reaction Score
but bazz And boat were known as a dangerous backcourt. remember charles saying ain’t no way uconn beatin michigan state and kenny smith said he’s going uconn because guard play wins every time and those are two great guards. boat is way underrated for his role in 2014.
Bazz was awesome and hit all the big shots when we needed them and was an amazing leader but the reason they won the whole thing is Boat could also iso and score at the end of shotclock situations and he became a defensive beast in the tournament and Daniels became that go to second or third scorer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom