OT: - Ryder Cup Scoreboard | The Boneyard

OT: Ryder Cup Scoreboard

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

The above link should take you to an updated scoreboard once the action starts Friday at 8:00 AM

Schedule
Friday Golf Channel 8:00 all morning and afternoon
4 best ball matches...then 4 alternate shot matches

Saturday
Golf Channel 8:00 to 9:00
NBC 9:00-7:00

Format....same as Friday

Sunday NBC 12:00 to 6:00
12 single matches.

The Euros have dominated of late...won 9 of last 12....4 of last 5.
Americans won the last time it was held in the USA....2016...in Minnesota. It's at Whistlling Straits in Wisconsin this year.

6 of the 12 Americans are first time Ryder Cuppers.
Does this mean no scars from previous losses...extreme nervousness....a changing of the guard?
By world rankings the Americans have a decided edge.

Whistling Straits is a gorgeous piece of property...next to Lake Michigan. Kind of an inland Pebble Beach.

Odds-makers have the USA as a solid favorite. I think we win...but that it is basically a pick'em.
Fans are allowed....not sure how many.

Reaction Score

The above link should take you to an updated scoreboard once the action starts Friday at 8:00 AM

Schedule

Saturday

Format....same as Friday

12 single matches.

Americans won the last time it was held in the USA....2016...in Minnesota. It's at Whistlling Straits in Wisconsin this year.

Does this mean no scars from previous losses...extreme nervousness....a changing of the guard?

Whistling Straits is a gorgeous piece of property...next to Lake Michigan. Kind of an inland Pebble Beach.

Odds-makers have the USA as a solid favorite. I think we win...but that it is basically a pick'em.
When have the Americans not been favored? The Euros have Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia, and the Americans don't.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When have the Americans not been favored? The Euros have Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia, and the Americans don't.
Should be very interesting, especially with the Bryson and Brooks show.

Reaction Score

Schedule

Saturday

Format....same as Friday

12 single matches.

The US always has the very real pressure of playing for their country while the Euros play for an economic union they would never consider giving their lives to defend.

To me it's a great competition with some of the ugliest shirts I ever saw. I think the person who chooses them is the same one that designs the US Olympic clothing. :confused:

Reaction Score
Should be very interesting, especially with the Bryson and Brooks show.
Yes, the Americans are all caught up with the Bryson-Brooks drama( courtesy of the American sports writers), while the Euros are sitting back enjoying their Guinness, red wine, and favorite Single Malt. The pre-game goes to the Euros.

Reaction Score
The US always has the very real pressure of playing for their country while the Euros play for an economic union they would never consider giving their lives to defend.

To me it's a great competition with some of the ugliest shirts I ever saw. I think the person who chooses them is the same one that designs the US Olympic clothing. :confused:
I think the "pressure" that these multi-millionaires are supposedly feeling in playing for country is a bit overdone. But a convenient excuse.

Reaction Score
I think the "pressure" that these multi-millionaires are supposedly feeling in playing for country is a bit overdone. But a convenient excuse.

There's a huge psychological difference. All of the players on both sides play all year for themselves. The Euros still play for themselves and for each other while all the US players hear is that the pride of their country is at stake.
Golf is 90% a mental game.

Reaction Score

Euros already won the fashion battle with green and gold (Packer's colors) and actual foam cheeseheads. Apparently they won over the crowd too.

Reaction Score
There's a huge psychological difference. All of the players on both sides play all year for themselves. The Euros still play for themselves and for each other while all the US players hear is that the pride of their country is at stake.
Golf is 90% a mental game.
Well, I've always wished for some gutsy American player, when the wackos start chanting "USA", to turn to them, hold up his arms, and yell," will you just shut up, we're trying to play golf here"!

Reaction Score
Euros already won the fashion battle with green and gold (Packer's colors) and actual foam cheeseheads. Apparently they won over the crowd too.

The Euros seem to have more fun while the Americans walk around with furrowed brows. Every interview starts with "How does it feel to have the weight of your country on your shoulders?"
Another factor that has helped the Euros; when it's in Europe they play one of their tour stops while the US picks courses that their players have little or no experience with.
My cynical view is that the Ryder Cup is intended to promote the European PGA and is and has for decades been all about $$$ despite all the red white and blue flag waving that is shown to the public.

Reaction Score
There’s a dynamic that I don’t quite understand about the difference between the teams. One team seems to be there for the fun and the comradery. The other for their country and that’s too serious to be fun. Maybe the Euros don’t feel the pressure because it’s not their country only being represented.

Just my opinion but I think there are U.S. players who would just as soon skip the Ryder Cup. Not all of them….some of them. They are just not in to the “team” concept. I always thought that Tiger Woods would rather have been on his yacht after the PGA season ended.

it just seems that one team looks at it as an opportunity to get together and enjoy the experience and the other looks at it as a responsibility that they must comply with.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Europeans grow up playing all formats of tournaments at their local courses - four ball, better ball, alternate shot, scramble, etc. and they continue playing those in recreational setting as pros. In the US almost everyone is playing stroke play all the time. The foreign idea of teamwork and the pressure of not letting a partner down is why the US usually finds itself down entering the 12 singles matches which they usually play well.

Also, the world rankings in golf favor the US tournaments, so the US players are playing on their home turf, while the Europeans are playing away for the majority of the world ranking points. Suspect that over-inflates the rankings of the US team vs. the Europeans.

I agree that the emotional make-up of the teams are very different, but think it doesn't have a lot to do with playing for their country for the US and more to do with constantly playing as the underdog for the Europeans - no expectations, more relaxed and having fun as a team. Not as many private jets, private estates, private coaches either for the Europeans.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Note: they have apparently switched the order of the Friday matches.
Alternate shot first....best ball in the afternoon. Same switch for Saturday??

Reaction Score
While I would never bet against either Poulter or Garcia, both are older and not having great years. Both have missed more cuts this past year than in the past and rarely have finished in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Cantlay and Schauffele win the first 4 holes vs Poulter and McIlroy !
On edit:
Make that the first 5 holes.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Morning alternate shot matches are done.

USA 3 Euros 1

Excellent start for our guys.
4 points available this afternoon in the best ball.

Only Euro point came from match 1
Rahm and Garcia beat Thomas and Spieth. Thomas and Spieth played well...Rahm and Garcia played great.

No match went to the 18th.
The Ryder rookies for us played very well.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Excellent first day for the USA.

3-1 in alternate shot.
3-1 in best ball

Lead 6-2.
Same format today...with 8 points available
Sunday 12 singles.

Several tight matches in the afternoon session going to 18. Americans in general dominating the par 5's.
Hold a 4 point lead going into Sunday? USA in good shape. Expand it...in great shape.
Our rookies doing just fine.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
rvwsleep: true enough.

BTW: In Vegas on Tuesday evening....presumably on the Golf Channel....the National
Long Drive Championship is being held....live I think. Normally even the longest drivers on the tour do not
enter this...frankly they are not long enough to compete.

This Tuesday is different. DeChambeau is not 'normal' and he will be in it. The long drive contestants typically have violent swings...maybe not fundamentally sound. They only count your best one...wild ones don't matter.
Bryson's driver swing is very similar to a Long Driver swing...his occasional efforts into trouble on the tour won't affect him here. Will he be competitive? Possibly win? I am positive that the other contestants simply LOVE to have him there....much much more attention will be on the event. They are not tour level players but the top ones can make a very nice living in the regular competitions and in exhibitions...pretty fair appearance money there.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
2 fantastic shots.
the best part? when mr spieth hit the 'stairway to heaven' one, the crowd, en masse, broke out into our USA! USA! chant. i figger they read this thread, and responded with a delightful 'up yours' rebuke. awesomesauce.
no comment on the '420' drive. what's there to say?
youse watch for ur reasons, we'll watch for ours.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Saturday alternate shot:

one more time: USA 3 Euros 1

Score now 9-3.

4 points available in best ball this afternoon....12 tomorrow.

Euros need a sweep or close to it this afternoon or Sunday may be a walk in the park for the USA.
The 'youngsters' in this very young team are showing up bigtime.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Some very tense matches in the 4 ball.

USA 2 Euro 2

Score 11-5.

12 singles tomorrow....USA in great shape....an even split did not help the Euros a bit...some clutch shots on 18 got them a full point in one match...reactions in big moments in the Ryder Cup are simply entertaining no matter who you are rooting for.

Bryson DeChambeau...a very talented, controversial player has done himself and his image
a favor over the last 2 days. Erratic but at times brilliant play....great interaction with his partner and overall
enthusiasm as a teammate. Capped off a late win to get that 6 point margin with some great putting and iron play on the back nine.

Reaction Score
Some very tense matches in the 4 ball.

USA 2 Euro 2

Score 11-5.

12 singles tomorrow....USA in great shape....an even split did not help the Euros a bit...some clutch shots on 18 got them a full point in one match...reactions in big moments in the Ryder Cup are simply entertaining no matter who you are rooting for.

Bryson DeChambeau...a very talented, controversial player has done himself and his image
a favor over the last 2 days. Erratic but at times brilliant play....great interaction with his partner and overall
enthusiasm as a teammate. Capped off a late win to get that 6 point margin with some great putting and iron play on the back nine.
Europe has to win 9 of the 12 matches (9-3-0) tomorrow to retain the Cup. Or go: 8-2-2 (ties) or 7-1-4 or 6-0-6. Not gonna happen. Americans usually thrive on Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom