Ryan Segalla (puck) | The Boneyard

Ryan Segalla (puck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

salisbury school kid. if we can get kids from those types of boarding prep schools we will be ok. new england puck at that level is strong. there are about 15 other schools i would also follow in the northeast. fairfield prep, hamden, bchs, delbarton, seton hall prep, malden, st johns, springfield memorial, bishop hendry, lasalle and maybe a few others

Reaction Score
The hockey development chain has changed significantly in the last 15 years. Very few top kids go directly from the above schools directly to Division -I rosters. Increasingly they leave to play in the USHL for 1-3 years before moving on to college. Even boarding schools like Kent, Avon, Berkshire, Salisbury, etc. are seeing top graduates go on to the USHL or Junior A leagues in Canada (the BCHL is the strongest) for a gap year or two. The test of UConn's recruitment will be how many of its players come from the top junior leagues - specifically, the leagues above and some of the better Ontario/Alberta Junior A leagues as opposed to lower level competition such as the NAHL and EJHL that have fed the Huskies' Atlantic Hockey rosters.

Reaction Score
salisbury school kid. if we can get kids from those types of boarding prep schools we will be ok. new england puck at that level is strong. there are about 15 other schools i would also follow in the northeast. fairfield prep, hamden, bchs, delbarton, seton hall prep, malden, st johns, springfield memorial, bishop hendry, lasalle and maybe a few others
Don't ignore Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury, St Sebastians and Cushing Prep. The latter two regularly send players to D1, CM does it but not quite as often. But good to hear that UConn is starting to recruit at that level, even if they have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
Segalla was drafted into the QMJHL. The major juniors are above the USHL.

http://stationnation.blogspot.com/2012/06/phoenix-take-two-us-prep-school.html

That's true, although the difference between the leagues is less than their nominal levels would imply. A large percentage of USHL players could play in major juniors, some as top line players, but doing so would take away their eligibility for college. The difference is not so much one of talent as it is the player's preferred development path. The overwhelming majority of USHL players will ultimately enroll in college, most with D-I scholarships.

In any case it's a good indicator that Segalla was drafted by a major junior team. Hopefully he won't be talked into joining the team that now holds his rights. I noticed that Chris Heisenberg's recruits list (probably the best single source on the Internet) lists him as a '14 recruit. That would make sense because he would graduate from Salisbury and then play a year or two in the USHL before enrolling. Given UConn's needs, however, they may have told him to come in early and they'll live with his growing pains in exchange for getting a more talented player than might otherwise be available. I've seen other programs in the building stages do that when the powerhouse programs tell the kid he'll need a year or two of junior (20 and even 21 year old freshman are not unusual in D-I) before they'll give him a scholarship.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
anyone got info on Brendan Shane? sounds like hes a 2014 commit!

Reaction Score
Here's what U.S. Hockey Report said about him at a 2011 U16 tournament:

Brendan Shane, ’96 (Toronto Nationals) 5-9/162, F — An American (Rochester, NY) playing in the GTHL. Was up against a weak opponent the first time we saw him, so his skills were really on display. Just a beautiful skater that gallops around the ice. Made plays and was the top forward in the game. In the second of his games we saw him against a much stronger LI Royals team (predominately all 95’s) and they kept him pretty quiet. Nonetheless, he is a DI prospect -- if he decides against the OHL route.​
2014 is a generally a little early to bring in a '96, but again, UConn may be offering early playing time to high ceiling kids that would otherwise have to wait a year or two more to get a scholarship to one of the traditional powers. If so, there will be significant HE growing pains, but the payoff by their 3rd and 4th years may be worth it.

Reaction Score
kibblesnbits, I think that is exactly the route UConn is pursuing with its recruiting. The other option is what Pecknold does at QU, to go out and bring in a bunch of older Canadians. I think that gets you competitive more quickly, but it might limit the long term upside. The UConn approach could result in some early struggles but I think has more long term potential as you become established and can fall back on a more "traditional" approach to recruiting.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
sounds like jason salvaggio has committed. also some 1 check on the name anthony siderio, possible commit also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom