OT: - Ryan Newman | The Boneyard

OT: Ryan Newman

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had a rougher President's Day than most. Incredible how technology and safety allows someone to survive a crash like that.

b115fa10-fd1c-43e7-a619-dc2578b901b0-USATSI_14056657.jpg

Reaction Score
Saw that last night. Didn’t like the hard drivers side door impact he got from the car that rammed him when upside down.

Really didn’t like how nothing was being said about his condition post-accident by the announcers. In NASCAR broadcasting, that’s usually an ominous sign of a potential fatal accident (like w/ Earnhardt at Daytona).

Encouraged by that press release. Newman is a tough sonofabish but toughness doesn’t matter in those crazy restrictor plate crashes. Hate the plate races.

Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope he has a full recovery. Years ago, my buddy and were in Vegas wrapping up the weekend and I mentioned I was betting $20 on the NASCAR race. Ryan Newman I said, his teammate was favored at 7/2 so I'm taking a flyer on him at 30-1. We went a gambled some more and was getting ready to head to the airport when we noticed the race had just a few laps left. Newman was 5th but he wasn't going to win, some other guy was way out in front. Whadda y'know, the patented, NASCAR late-race caution for "debris" on the track! Newman exits the pits in 2nd, wins the restart and breezes to victory! I said to my buddy, "Not bad, $600 on the way out the door and no time to blow it!" He says, "I had $50!" "Fifteen-hundred bucks!, that has to get you into the black" "Well..."

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just a brutal crash. I hope they don't use this as a reason to lower speeds again.

Yeah, no matter what speed they are driving, when you make drafting in pairs or groups the way to max out on speed and someone needs to breakaway from the draft to make a move, things get squirrelly real fast.

Blaney was the middle man in a threesome twice as Newman and Hamlin both used Blaney's position to sling shot around.

Reaction Score
I was confused - went out to dinner at like 7pm last night and saw the race on - didn't realize initially it was postponed and live. That was the craziest ending I've seen to a race. Hope he is ok. Wow.

Reaction Score
Yeah, no matter what speed they are driving, when you make drafting in pairs or groups the way to max out on speed and someone needs to breakaway from the draft to make a move, things get squirrelly real fast.

Blaney was the middle man in a threesome twice as Newman and Hamlin both used Blaney's position to sling shot around.

It's the same thing with Indycar. It's usually the decisions of drivers that cause the crash. Not the speeds. Lowering the speed seems like it would mitigate the risk but often artificially reducing the speed is a result of some sort of method like a handford device or a restrictor plate just causes cars to run closer together and it increases the risk.

Make the cars have more horsepower than mechanical grip and aerodynamic grip will allow and make them harder to driver. Cut down on the massive pack racing and separate the men from the boys.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ryan Newman and his wife announced last week they were splitting amicably after 16 years of marriage.
After crash his wife tweeted "OMG".
Do you think the OMG was because of what happened or because she thought he may have had her removed from insurance????

Reaction Score
It's the same thing with Indycar. It's usually the decisions of drivers that cause the crash. Not the speeds. Lowering the speed seems like it would mitigate the risk but often artificially reducing the speed is a result of some sort of method like a handford device or a restrictor plate just causes cars to run closer together and it increases the risk.

Make the cars have more horsepower than mechanical grip and aerodynamic grip will allow and make them harder to driver. Cut down on the massive pack racing and separate the men from the boys.
Make them do some right turns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom