Ryan Griffin and the draft | The Boneyard

Ryan Griffin and the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I normally don't pump my son's tires on the internet, but with the draft approaching quickly I have been scanning the web for draft articles. I came across this one, and I think if you know football, and you watched my son play, you will appreciate this. So I posted here, mostly to share what I thought was valuable insight, you don't get too much of that on most football blogs.
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/16/no-huddle-series-uconn-te-ryan-griffin/

Reaction Score
He might not be known well on the Boneyard, but the author of that article, Matt Waldman, is a fantastic evaluator of players. And I would encourage any fan of football to download his scouting reports. The guy actually watches the game, and breaks down games. Refreshing to read.

Glad to see Ryan get a nice write up by Waldman.

Reaction Score
That's a great analysis of Ryan's play. If I may help pump his tires the play against Pitt when he hurdled the defender is I e of my all time favorite uconn plays

Reaction Score
Excellent, glad to hear some good press. Really hoping Ryan gets a shot somewhere.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Like the writer of that article, I also don't understand how he gets no publicity. I thought he was the best receiver on this team last year and wished they had the time (O-line dig here) to throw to him some more. I'd love to see him in a Steeler uniform with our top TE trying to come back from an ACL injury. He will be wearing someone's uni, he's too good not to.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing Joe... if you can't pump your son's tires - who can!

Good luck this weekend. Deep breathes!

Reaction Score
There were 29 teams represented at pro day. There is zero chance he did not make an impression on someone.

If Tyler was able to get a paycheck for a year or two Ryan will easily exceed that.

He gets drafted in round 7. He will play in the NFL.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
He's gonna impress for years to come got that gut feeling.

Reaction Score
Ryan was always a favorite of mine, I thought it was unfair that he didn't go to the combine, he's tremendously athletic and smart, he'll get drafted late and make a team IMO. Best of luck to Ryan.

Reaction Score
Nice write-up. I was so frustrated with how poorly we used ryan his junior year I actually wrote to coach and suggested that he be split out on a cornerback occassionally if our wideouts were having trouble getting open. I really felt he was such a weapon and unfortunately we just weren't effective enough to utilize his talents. Some of the better college teams could have and certainly pro teams will recognize his tremendous talent and prototype size and speed and will utilize it effectively. I would love to have my Giants give him a shot. Eli would love having him to throw to. Thanks for sharing - it's great to see some validation of what we knew all along.

Reaction Score
I was watching the CBS Draft special tonight on Diamonds in the Rough. They listed the top 20 prospects at each position. Ryan was not on the TE list. It was a freaking joke. Some of the guys on that list were slower and had many fewer catches than Ryan. NFL scouts and GM's are savvy enough to know about Ryan's skills and, as importantly, what he needs to work on to hone his talents. The play he made vs Cincy where he outran the DB's was duly noted on somebody's NFL dance card. I'm with Sportsart. I see him being drafted. All Huskiy fans will be rooting hard as Ryan and his teammates have their names called this weekend. Best of luck to Ryan!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess it has a lot to do with the lack of offense last year from UConn and all the publicity going to the defense.
I have a feeling that Ryan will get drafted and have a better career than a number of the players ranked higher.

Reaction Score
I normally don't pump my son's tires on the internet, but with the draft approaching quickly I have been scanning the web for draft articles. I came across this one, and I think if you know football, and you watched my son play, you will appreciate this. So I posted here, mostly to share what I thought was valuable insight, you don't get too much of that on most football blogs.
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/16/no-huddle-series-uconn-te-ryan-griffin/

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. If the playcalling were different, it would be a question of where and not if, when it comes to the draft.

Reaction Score
Thanks Joe good read. Best of everything to the whole clan.

Reaction Score
"BIG PAPA PUMP" gonna miss watching the games with you behind the blue line.
Better pumping tires than pumping brakes!
I can hear the roar of the Hienz Field crowd..."GRIIIIFFFF!!!"
Too bad Lawrence Timmons is wearing #94.

Reaction Score
#94, is a player that has high value, at low cost. To the NFL is a head of cattle that's clearly worth purchasing, the onlyl question is how much to pay. It's that simple. The only unknown, at this point, really, that can , change anything in the next days to weeks, is how many teams are actually interested in this particular head of cattle, and whether or not they have talked to each other about it. Those types of things are secrets that are kept very secure.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
its a crime that uconn is not doing more to pum him. tell the espn bloggers to oo a interviw with him all the local mdias etc etc. we hve 4 kids ocked i for the draft. w should bworking our asses off for ryan to e a 5th. pump pump pump. instead we sit quiet. when he didn' get to te combine there should hae bee artiles from the ny, boston globe and every t paper about the snub. pump this man i beg u uconn u stupid fuc*ing helpless AD employees.

Reaction Score
very happy for Ryan & dad -- would have liked to have seen some TE bubble-type screens to him -- hopefully TJ has that in his quiver.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Very excited for Ryan and his family. Has to be an incredibly exciting time in their lives. Cognrats to all the Huskies who got the call today. I'm sure there are quite a few more who are being contacted right now about UFA opportunities.

Reaction Score
There were 29 teams represented at pro day. There is zero chance he did not make an impression on someone.

If Tyler was able to get a paycheck for a year or two Ryan will easily exceed that.

He gets drafted in round 7. He will play in the NFL.

Round 7??? Why so pessimistic? :)

Seriously, congrats to the Griffins!!! And looking forward to any updates on Ryan's future endeavors!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Joe,

Congrats to Ryan! The Texans got a steal (they are now tied with a couple other NFL teams as my second favorite).

Reaction Score
Just read a texans article that stated they didn't know who he was but after looking at some film are very impressed with his blocking and catching abilities. They also loved the film when he hurdled the db

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom