Ryan Boatright tweeted this right before UK champ game | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright tweeted this right before UK champ game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't think of a UConn player I wanted to make it to the NBA more than him.

IMG_1150.PNG

Reaction Score
Nice find. I see the word finna quite a bit on tweets and posts. Always wondered what it meant, just realized he meant gonna but hit the two letters closest to the g and the o :)
finna=going to

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
of all the things to respond to, I'm going to: I heard, and only a few years back, so I kinda am on both sides, but I heard it's the sane as "going to" = gonna, but that it's "fixin' to" = finna, but meaning of course the sane thing.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
When he ended up with the ball as the clock expired in the championship game all I could think about was how proud he must have been to do it in a year when he lost one of his best friends. Boatright is playing for more than the win. He's playing for people who can't play ever again. Can't wait to see what the lion does this year.

Reaction Score
kid has the heart of a lion...just like every other uconn guard that has taken us to the promise land...i think this is gonna be another special year....its amazing that we consistently have people that are smart enough to realize that they not only need to try and win something in that season, but pass down greatness to the next. i think thats why we've frequented FF's and NC's so much over the past 20 years. And jesus as if we don't give this guy credit enough, KEMBA really instilled that "passing the torch" continuation to our future. I swear, without Kemba, we could have been in some trouble....he is and always will be a HUGE part of our history. and i hope he realizes that. I'm sure he does.

Reaction Score
"finna" is a shortening of "finally" it means the wait is over. It's go time.

Reaction Score
of all the things to respond to, I'm going to: I heard, and only a few years back, so I kinda am on both sides, but I heard it's the sane as "going to" = gonna, but that it's "fixin' to" = finna, but meaning of course the sane thing.

Urban Dictionary confirmed this, and also that I'm incredibly out of touch.

Reaction Score
"finna" is shortened "fitting to" which means "going to"

So "I'm going to get a soda" = "I'm fittin' to get a soda" = "I'm finna get a soda"

Reaction Score
Yep.

It mean exactly the same thing and that's where it came from.

That doesn't make sense, gramatically, in any usage I've seen, including the one in Boatright's tweet. It being a contraction of "fixing to" both has citations and makes sense in the context I've seen it everywhere.

Reaction Score
Yep.

It mean exactly the same thing and that's where it came from.

It's derived from "fixing to" and it means, basically, "about to." You're just wrong on this one, and somehow debating it makes a lame discussion even lamer.

Reaction Score
"finna" is a shortening of "finally" it means the wait is over. It's go time.
No. As stated above it's derived from fixing to or fixin' to which you hear mostly in the South, fixin' to is the same as going to.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It's derived from "fixing to" and it means, basically, "about to." You're just wrong on this one, and somehow debating it makes a lame discussion even lamer.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

Because Pal is always right. Even when he's not.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You ease up jackhead. You're the one who was condescending in the first place.
I'm an old guy too and could give a rat's what the damn slang means but why don't you two be finna to stop the petty name calling and arguing

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
When he ended up with the ball as the clock expired in the championship game all I could think about was how proud he must have been to do it in a year when he lost one of his best friends. Boatright is playing for more than the win. He's playing for people who can't play ever again. Can't wait to see what the lion does this year.
kid has the heart of a lion...just like every other uconn guard that has taken us to the promise land...i think this is gonna be another special year....its amazing that we consistently have people that are smart enough to realize that they not only need to try and win something in that season, but pass down greatness to the next. i think thats why we've frequented FF's and NC's so much over the past 20 years. And jesus as if we don't give this guy credit enough, KEMBA really instilled that "passing the torch" continuation to our future. I swear, without Kemba, we could have been in some trouble....he is and always will be a HUGE part of our history. and i hope he realizes that. I'm sure he does.
the only two comments that didnt write about a word boat used...thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger