Ryan Boatright: "Now I know how Shabazz felt" | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright: "Now I know how Shabazz felt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't really like him saying this to the media, as some may take it the wrong way. But you can't say it's not true. Boatright has played great for this team. They've just gotten next to nothing out of everybody else.

Just a side note, I think we beat Houston by 16 on the boards, but only forced a single turnover (as in 1 for the whole game). Can't remember a UConn defense only creating one turnover in a game ever.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just a side note, I think we beat Houston by 16 on the boards, but only forced a single turnover (as in 1 for the whole game). Can't remember a UConn defense only creating one turnover in a game ever.

Yeah that's crazy regarding the 1 turnover which I believe was an unforced one. Houston had zero turnovers at the end of the half. If UConn could just limit the dumb turnovers that repeat every game, minimize the offensive fouls, and convert a bit better at the free throws ...... and that's not asking alot.

Reaction Score
lets see......the kid is a senior, was the one person who left it all on the floor, was visisbly frustrated and was asked a question moments after an embarrassing team performance. i think i will give him a pass on this one.

Reaction Score
He has played very well but doesn't deserve to say that, sorry!

He doesn't need to but I would love to hear from RP, OC, Facey. Dham and by the way our other captain. Are they taking responsibility (accountability) for their performance. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Reaction Score
Just be thankful we even have the guy on our team. If he left for the NBA like he wanted to for awhile imagine how rough this season would be

Reaction Score
Boat has been a great scorer, but not a good point guard or leader. His negative body language is not helping the young guys.

Reaction Score
Boat has been a great scorer, but not a good point guard or leader. His negative body language is not helping the young guys.
I do agree with you that it's not beneficial for our young guys. Who will be a captain next year with Amida, anyone? I wouldn't mind it being Nolan, give him a defining role on the team as a leader and a little confidence since he definitely has none at this point.

Reaction Score
lets see.the kid is a senior, was the one person who left it all on the floor, was visisbly frustrated and was asked a question moments after an embarrassing team performance. i think i will give him a pass on this one.

You can, but it shouldn't be said. Didn't say he's a jerk but DHam with 14 rebounds feels like he played hard too and didn't leave him alone I'm sure. Agree on the timing but it shouldn't be said.

Reaction Score
You can, but it shouldn't be said. Didn't say he's a jerk but DHam with 14 rebounds feels like he played hard too and didn't leave him alone I'm sure. Agree on the timing but it shouldn't be said.
I hear ya. Boat is a reactionary guy. He plays like that on the court and clearly talks like that right after a bad loss. It wasnt the best thing to say and I'd hope if he was asked today he wouldnt say it, but I have to believe it was the timing of it all.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let him say the obvious if he wants. Anyone who can't see it isn't worth listening to. Whatever stats anyone else is putting up, it's not helping to win games, so I don't care about DHam and his 14 rebounds. UH shot under 40%, there were plenty of rebounds to be had since AB wasn't getting any.

They lost because of too many empty trips. Tell who was taking bad shots that had no chance of going in and I'll tell you who lost the game.

Reaction Score
There were some cringe worthy quotes from Bazz the year after Kemba left remember? I know he was a sophomore but this is Boat's first year at the helm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There were some cringe worthy quotes from Bazz the year after Kemba left remember? I know he was a sophomore but this is Boat's first year at the helm.
The biggest weakness the Boat-Bazz teams had imo were that Boat and Bazz were too similar, with largely overlapping skill sets. I know I'm not the only one who saw them scrapping at each other, in ways both spoken and unspoken. The reason we were successful in overcoming it last season was that Boat finally agreed/learned to sublimate his alpha dog ego to Bazz's, and to complement him rather than overlap and compete with him. I give Boat and Ollie a lot of credit for managing that--as much as I give Bazz. And to Bazz's credit, he delivered when the stage was set.

But yeah, a lot of people forget the bumpy ride with Bazz at times too.

It's not a competition with me. They both won me over a long time ago, and I feel fortunate that we are all alumni of the same university.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ollie's comment about not running an AAU system is refreshing. This team probably could have won more games this year by playing street ball.
But Ollie is forcing the new pieces to form a team and develop basketball skills. Sucks for this year, but the pieces are being formed for next March. Players still hesitating and thinking because they are still learning how to play team ball. It's affecting all phases of the team's game.

Reaction Score
Ollie's comment about not running an AAU system is refreshing. This team probably could have won more games this year by playing street ball.
But Ollie is forcing the new pieces to form a team and develop basketball skills. Sucks for this year, but the pieces are being formed for next March. Players still hesitating and thinking because they are still learning how to play team ball. It's affecting all phases of the team's game.
Great, great post. Nice to see some perspective on this board.

Hopefully these struggles will help the team enough to make a run during the conference tournament. There's not a team in the AAC we're not better than based on pure talent. I've still got faith they'll figure out how to put it together over the next 4 weeks, and that Boat will hoist at least one more trophy before he's gone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just be thankful we even have the guy on our team. If he left for the NBA like he wanted to for awhile imagine how rough this season would be
I like Ryan and really appreciate all he's done for us...especially championship #4, but he didn't leave because no one wanted him. He's a very good college player, but that doesn't necessarily translate to playing in the NBA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I kept going over, talking to K.O., he did a great job of helping me stay in the game, staying mentally tough, keep playing. Even though you’re getting hit, you’ve got to play through it, you can’t dwell on it.”

“I’ve just got to continue to lead, continue to play UConn basketball. I never set out to play outside of the system. Today I shot 26 shots, I didn’t even know that. I don’t like shooting that much, personally. But it was called for.”

“I’m trying to play within the system and let everybody eat.”

“Now, I know how Shabazz felt last year in some games. I can honestly see what he was going through sometimes.”

I have no problem with any of that.

Reaction Score
Exodus 4:15, "THOU shalt speak ... I will be with THY mouth...and will teach YOU what YE shall do."

---By Bazz & Kemba

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Exodus 4:15, "THOU shalt speak ... I will be with THY mouth...and will teach YOU what YE shall do."

---By Bazz & Kemba
bazz talked more than anyone in recent years

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
completely agree, ollie is trying to find guys who play in his system. Some kids are great in high school and get noticed bc they get a lot of points but there is no structure for them. They continually drive to the hoop like a freight train without developing a jumpshot, ollies system needs players who can handle the ball and shoot. Boat is the only one who has ever played screen and roll, pick and pop, etc. yeah this year sucks but it isn't for a lack of talent or effort. systems need time and players for it to work.

Reaction Score
Let him say the obvious if he wants. Anyone who can't see it isn't worth listening to. Whatever stats anyone else is putting up, it's not helping to win games, so I don't care about DHam and his 14 rebounds. UH shot under 40%, there were plenty of rebounds to be had since AB wasn't getting any.

They lost because of too many empty trips. Tell who was taking bad shots that had no chance of going in and I'll tell you who lost the game.

You don't care about 14 rebounds but you're in love with the guy who shot the ball 26 times and made 10? Why, explain that to me? How many guys did Boat turn someone over on defense which is his specialty? Just saying, it's a team not just Boat played hard and his body language wasn't much better than anyone elses.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think there has been a reinvention of what Bazz was like as the verbal leader of the team. I'll bet players had more hurt feelings with Bazz than Boat by far. Look at the 2 on-court, national tv incidents Bazz did with Boat. Please.
Boat should not have said it publicly. OK. But will it mess up the delicate chemistry of this team? No, because they don't have chemistry. There needs to be a little anger between them for change to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom