Ryan Boatright is now shooting over 43% from three | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright is now shooting over 43% from three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the untold stories of a mostly disappointing season is Boatright evolving into a f'in sniper from behind the arch. He's converting at that clip on a fairly large volume of shots, too. He's putting up nearly six a game, right in line with Shabazz's output from last season.

That he has become this automatic from back there is quite the testament to his work ethic and development over his four years here. He's not quite in Shabazz Napier or Ben Gordon territory, but he's close.

I will say this, though: on a team that struggles this much to score, nobody has the right to be shooting it that well from three. I appreciate his selflessness, but it's probably better for the team at this point that he take even more shots than he's currently taking.

Reaction Score
One of the untold stories of a mostly disappointing season is Boatright evolving into a f'in sniper from behind the arch. He's converting at that clip on a fairly large volume of shots, too. He's putting up nearly six a game, right in line with Shabazz's output from last season.

That he has become this automatic from back there is quite the testament to his work ethic and development over his four years here. He's not quite in Shabazz Napier or Ben Gordon territory, but he's close.

I will say this, though: on a team that struggles this much to score, nobody has the right to be shooting it that well from three. I appreciate his selflessness, but it's probably better for the team at this point that he take even more shots than he's currently taking.

The Houston loss sucked and he started 2-14 so I understand nobody making much of a fuss. But we could watch UConn for a long, long time and never see anyone drop 26 points in seven minutes again. Too little, too late, yeah - but he came up only one possession short, and if we played D closer to our norm and kept the game in reach, who knows. Seen lots of basketball games where the best player struggles for the bulk of the game, and then catches fire late to will his team over the finish line.

As we were closing in, I was thinking to myself that maybe this could be the win that turns the season around if we could pull it off. Sometimes that's all it takes. But between the finish on Sunday and the first half today, I admit I was feeling pretty discouraged that we couldn't even see the corner any more, much less have a chance of turning it. But some signs of life at least got me off the ledge. We'll need more than a good second half at home against ECU, but the way we came out with some abandon in the second half and just simply played basketball and stopped looking so damn passive and afraid to miss shots - well, maybe it was the start of something, anyway. Just have to hope that the next time we take a punch, we punch back before we are down double figures.

Reaction Score
Boat has been terrific from downtown. As a side note...Check out what Derrick Marks (leading candidate for MWC POY) is doing at Boise State this year form 3 land. The guy went from .288% in 2013-14 to .547% this year to I believe lead the Nation. That has to be 1 of the biggest jumps in 3pt % in the modern era of college basketball. Marks has been lights out this year.

Reaction Score

Interestingly Boat shoots better beyond the arc than inside the perimeter, even though he is one of the quickest guards in the nation.

One solution to scoring at a better rate inside the perimeter is if he learns how to draw contact with the defender while driving as opposed to always relying on his speed and athleticism to separate himself. When he tries to avoid contact while driving to the hoop he takes off balanced shots and makes himself more susceptible to block shots as he adjusts in midair, if he goes into the defender's body he can draw a number of fouls (he is the best player in the AAC therefore if there is contact he will get the benefit of the call more often than not). This would not only get him to the charity stripe more often (where he is shooting close to 85%), but would also make defenders more wary of playing tight and physical defense (to stay out of foul trouble), giving him even more room to get off his shot.

Once he starts getting to the free throw line on a consistent basis while shooting this hot from beyond the arc he will set a few more career bests before this season finishes.

Reaction Score
When he's set and not forcing he looks really good. A testament to his hard work because he was a streaky shooter coming in, mostly having a decent perimeter game every 3 or so but now when they leave him alone he is very good. Actually has not pulled up enough as of late for the mid range jumper and forced too deep more than he should. Maybe the injure which doesn't allow the rise he had is the reason, might not be fully there yet and hence the lower % from inside the arc.

Reaction Score
Every game is a mixtape, the kid is a baller! He does have to find a way to score inside on his drives, its disheartening to see his drives getting blocked.

Perhaps a scoop shot or floater to add to his arsenal would help. It will be necessary on the next level.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yeah, he's become an absolutely terrific player. There are two things, in my mind, separating him from Napier: (1) the ability to create for others; and (2) the ability to create a 3-point shot for himself. Napier's ability to get off a 3 at any moment was such a unique skill for a short guy. Minutes after that thought went through my mind, Boat hit that 3 after losing the ball momentarily -- so he's not just a catch and shoot 3-point shooter anymore. Still, Napier was better at that, due to his incredible stepback move, but Boat's ability to rise up is much better (although that's more effective inside the arc). As for passing, I don't think he'll ever be as good as Napier, but I'm sure Boat's assist numbers would be a lot better if he had Giffey on one wing and Deandre on the other...

Reaction Score
nomar said:
Yeah, he's become an absolutely terrific player. There are two things, in my mind, separating him from Napier: (1) the ability to create for others; and (2) the ability to create a 3-point shot for himself. Napier's ability to get off a 3 at any moment was such a unique skill for a short guy. Minutes after that thought went through my mind, Boat hit that 3 after losing the ball momentarily -- so he's not just a catch and shoot 3-point shooter anymore. Still, Napier was better at that, due to his incredible stepback move, but Boat's ability to rise up is much better (although that's more effective inside the arc). As for passing, I don't think he'll ever be as good as Napier, but I'm sure Boat's assist numbers would be a lot better if he had Giffey on one wing and Deandre on the other...

Boat's passing comes and goes, but Napier was more consistent. Some of it is the speed at which they play (Boat attacks fast and can get out of control, Bazz relied more on shiftiness and change of direction) and some of it is their natural instincts. Boat was a 30 ppg, 3 apg guy in high school, so he tends to default to shooting mode, especially when he's attacking off the bounce (the exception being when he gets too deep, he often tries whip it back outside - such as the one to DD late in the NC game). When he reels in his aggressiveness and tries to run halfcourt sets, he's a good passer - particularly good at finding Hamilton in the middle or shooters in the corners (I also still love his lob to DD against Florida last year - where he just subtly flicked the ball up there), but when he's aggressive and attacking hard, he's shoot first. Since Napier was a little more shifty off the bounce than he was explosive, he saw the whole floor better and recognized passing angles.

Boat does take so long to elevate and release his J that he has a harder time than Bazz did when guarded (Bazz had an unreal quick trigger). Lately Boat has been more successful making them when not perfectly vertical - while drifting to his left or rocking back a little, which helps compensate. He rocked back a little on that play you're talking about and that gave him just enough room to squeeze it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom