Rx for next season | The Boneyard

Rx for next season

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mixed in among threads today are many different theories about what went wrong and why. Want to positively look forward to next season. By all measures UCONN had a dominating season which did not result in a National Championship. Ideally this prescription will result in a UCONN NC at this time next year.
Rx
A more reliable game manager with defense on ball presence must emerge from the G position. UCONN must get more rugged, bigger, shot changing,tough rebounding presence in the post. Simple right? Get Moriah Jefferson and Stephanie Dolson back in uniform and UCONN will be all set.
UCONN three newly minted WBCA all american (KLS, Napheesa, & Gabby) really play the same position as do the three most talented additions to the roster (Azura, Megan, & Lexi). Depending on who you believe will start, next year ALL 5 UCONN starters could be playing out of position.
This prescription bodes well for two players (Batouly and Mikayla), and to be clear I'm not projecting either to be starters. Mikayla seems the best equip to be a defensive on ball pest & Batouly could provide that more rugged inside presence because she has done it before.
images

Your Rx goes here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting that we have so many wing forwards especially when think of just offense. What I do like is that we have significantly more height and strength defensively, and a wide assortment of interestingly talented guard/wings from which to find contributors. That with a significant increase in depth (unless all the freshman freak out!)

Reaction Score
Mixed in among threads today are many different theories about what went wrong and why. Want to positively look forward to next season. By all measures UCONN had a dominating season which did not result in a National Championship. Ideally this prescription will result in a UCONN NC at this time next year.
Rx
A more reliable game manager with defense on ball presence must emerge from the G position. UCONN must get more rugged, bigger, shot changing,tough rebounding presence in the post. Simple right? Get Moriah Jefferson and Stephanie Dolson back in uniform and UCONN will be all set.
UCONN three newly minted WBCA all american (KLS, Napheesa, & Gabby) really play the same position as do the three most talented additions to the roster (Azura, Megan, & Lexi). Depending on who you believe will start, next year ALL 5 UCONN starters could be playing out of position.
This prescription bodes well for two players (Batouly and Mikayla), and to be clear I'm not projecting either to be starters. Mikayla seems the best equip to be a defensive on ball pest & Batouly could provide that more rugged inside presence because she has done it before.
images

Your Rx goes here.
I agree that they need at least one real banger inside and maybe Camara can bring that plus Stevens' length and rebounding will help a lot. The defensive boards were definitely a problem against the ranked teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Batouly will add rebounding for sure along with rugged defense. Azura will add several things, including scoring and shot blocking. Megan is between 6'0" and 6'1" and plays at the rim level. She'll add height and length. The following year, Charli will add some nice size.

Based on her stats and performance in limited minutes, Mikayla may have the ability and inclination to be an elite defensive player. She's not too shabby on offense either,

Reaction Score
Both Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara will bring athletic, aggressive, skilled, to an already talented returning crew for UCONN WBB! I watched them play at their past institutions, Duke and KY, respectively, and both are excellent athletes that "bring it" every day!

Reaction Score
Both Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara will bring athletic, aggressive, skilled, to an already talented returning crew for UCONN WBB! I watched them play at their past institutions, Duke and KY, respectively, and both are excellent athletes that "bring it" every day!

A lot of people here ooh and aah about Nat when she first transferred, and even thought she will become AA at UConn. You just never know until they hit the floor at UConn.

Reaction Score
They lost by a last second basket in overtime. The team will certainly benefit from the additions to the roster. I'm excited about the added size, athleticism, and competition to address some of the limitations of this year's roster, but Geno didn't talk about that after the game. The thing Geno talked about was maturity. Even with size and depth disadvantages if they had just handled the moment a little better they would have won. Gabby has eloquently talked about how the Stanford loss motivated her. Lou and Napheesa have never experienced that at UConn. I think it will also be an important part in the growth of their maturity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both Batouly and Azura played much tougher competition in their pre-UConn days than Nat, but Nat did have nice stats. We haven't seen Batouly or Azura play with UConn. Rumors are that they did well at practice, especially Azura. We'll know better in mid-Nov. Keep in mind that Azura was an AP Honorable Mention All-American in 2016.

Reaction Score
Both Batouly and Azura played much tougher competition in their pre-UConn days than Nat, but Nat did have nice stats. We haven't seen Batouly or Azura play with UConn. Rumors are that they did well at practice, especially Azura. We'll know better in mid-Nov. Keep in mind that Azura was an AP Honorable Mention All-American in 2016.

I'm a bit concerned about all of the expectations that we are putting on Azura Stevens for next year.........all of this talk (which Geno kind of started) about her being a candidate for POY before she ever stepped on the court as a UConn player is a lot to live up to.............if she just plays to the numbers she had at Duke I will be a happy camper as that will take some of the stress and strain off of the other starters leading to an almost unguardable starting five..............

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I thought what Geno said was that if she stayed for two years she would be an NPOY candidate. I thought that was not counting the transfer year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a bit concerned about all of the expectations that we are putting on Azura Stevens for next year....all of this talk (which Geno kind of started) about her being a candidate for POY before she ever stepped on the court as a UConn player is a lot to live up to...if she just plays to the numbers she had at Duke I will be a happy camper as that will take some of the stress and strain off of the other starters leading to an almost unguardable starting five....
If she plays to her numbers at Duke she will be an All-American and a NPOY candiate similar to the way Napheesa played this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno said Z would be the number 1 draft pick in 2019 (assuming she stays for both years).

I also think that Doris Burke and someone at ESPN.com (maybe Graham Hayes) said she would have been the best player in the country this season if she had played.

That's not purely Boneyard speculation.

We saw that she was impressive against UConn. We also know that she averaged almost 19 and 10 as a sophomore, earning AP Honorable Mention AA status. We know that she has practiced with UConn for about 10 months now, and some reports have said that she looks really, really good. I honestly don't expect her to be any better than Pheesa was this year. But if she is about as good, that would be wonderful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
lets be humble about next year... anything can happen. its not an automatic championship
Let's be humble about every year. Yes, nothing is automatic, and nothing his easy, even if the Huskies often make it look so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom