RV Trip (GA, NC, VA) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RV Trip (GA, NC, VA)

Reaction Score
Theres this place called Bennys in Radford and in Blacksburg. They have decent pizza for VA, but theyre massive slices. But if youre up for a challenge, if you can eat a 28” pizza you get $500.
FYI: There's also a Benny's location in the NODA neighborhood of Charlotte which would be an infinitely more enjoyable stop than Radford/Blacksburg
Thx...I've been to Charlotte for work several time...nice city. Wife went to Radford so since its on the way, she wants to check it out.

I'm having really weird feelings right now.

I live in Charlotte, my girlfriend went to Radford. Obsessed with Bennys (both locations.)
Also...Wilmington is another great spot on the NC coast to check out...

Reaction Score
In NC I would meander from Highlands NC (by the Georgia border) up to Asheville, then head to Blowing Rock.

Reaction Score

I live in Charlotte, my girlfriend went to Radford. Obsessed with Bennys (both locations.)
Just got back from spending a week in Oak Island, North Carolina. A friend of mine has a place there. It was my first time in the state. Very nice area, Southport has some great restaurants. We went to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach for a day. I was impressed. We drove down from CT and its amazing how much different the state is on the coast compared to inland.

Reaction Score
Just got back from spending a week in Oak Island, North Carolina. A friend of mine has a place there. It was my first time in the state. Very nice area, Southport has some great restaurants. We went to Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach for a day. I was impressed. We drove down from CT and its amazing how much different the state is on the coast compared to inland.
I’m biased because I live here, but I feel like NC is often overlooked. Some of the best hiking/scenery/mountains on the East Coast and a solid coastline as well. Sprinkle in Charlotte and Raleigh as pretty livable cities and it’s a nice state. Some rural parts id stay out of, but lots to enjoy here.

As someone that travels to Asheville and the western part of the state pretty regularly, I’m seeing some Meh suggestions on this thread (not you) lol. I’d definitely recommend for anyone reading or the poster, Brevard hikes, like Johns Rock at the entrance to Pisgah or any hike in Pisgah really. Linville Gorge is beautiful, that’s a must see, just do your research before and know what you can handle distance wise when you pick a hike there. Lake James, Blue Ridge Parkway, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain (highest point east of the Mississippi) many more great sites out that way. Asheville is awesome, worth spending time in the town for sure, so much great food in that town. Check out Rankin Vault Cocktail Lounge in downtown Asheville for a great burger and head to Burial for some tasty brews. I’d skip the Biltmore if you’re on a time crunch tho, it’s cool, but there’s better stuff out there. Overall, just depends on the time you’ve got. But if you’re out that way, at least seeing the blue ridge parkway and Linville Gorge I think are absolute musts.

edit: Mount Mitchell is the highest, not Grandfather. Both are beautiful and worth seeinghowever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I’ve probably shouted you out before, but I tend to like posts and comment when I see another Queen City resident on a thread :)

Reaction Score
Linville Gorge is beautiful, that’s a must see, just do your research before and know what you can handle distance wise when you pick a hike there. Lake James, Blue Ridge Parkway, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain (highest point east of the Mississippi) many more great sites out that way.
Isn't Mount Mitchell higher than Grandfather Mountain? I've heard both are great places.

Reaction Score
I managed to get Masters tickets once...and a conference I had to attend was the same time. Head bang
Can you see much of the course or is it too far from the road?
Any thoughts on Athens, Ga?

Thx for the info.
Can’t really see much of the course. They keep expanding the property. But the course is for members and guests only.
Athens is all about UGA. You have the stadium of course. Plus it’s a nice campus and has some good restaurants.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
Hot springs NC is a fun spot and the drive on I77 from Charlotte up to I81 in Virginia or Blue Ridge Pkwy are a nice scenic drives. The park on the Reedy River downtown Greenvile SC is a Great stop for lunch and of coarse Shenandoah.

Reaction Score
Isn't Mount Mitchell higher than Grandfather Mountain? I've heard both are great places.
Yikes, yes it is. I typed that as i was falling asleep. Don’t boneyard and sleep yall. Both are amazing indeed.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
If you care to see some military sites, the Mighty 8th Museum is on 95, just north of Savannah. It's a nice museum that honors the 8th Air Force and is easy on and easy off 95.
After that you can detour to Beaufort, SC, to visit Parris Island, the Marine Corps Training Facility, which also has a small, but interesting, museum and if you're there on a Friday you can see the latest class of recruits graduate. Beaufort is a pretty town, with a number of nice restaurants in the downtown area and Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort is the sole training facility for the F35's. They also have F-18's there and we locals hear "the sound of freedom" pretty much daily as both planes regularly fly all over the surrounding areas.
That's a great museum. I visit my son in Savannah at least 3 times a year. Each time I visit it. they were rebuilding a bomber. Probably done by now.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Waffle House at every possible opportunity
I eat at the Waffle House near the Savannah-Pooler line. By the airport. It's a real greasy spoon. That's why I go there. A little over 6 years ago, visiting my son, I took a chance and went across from my motel to have breakfast. When I opened the door, everybody, and I mean everybody, cooks, servers, manager, custodian all turned around and looked at me and said "Good Morning". I turned around thinking it was somebody behind me. That started my love for the Savannah area which I will be moving to shortly.

Reaction Score
im glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, just 30 minutes inland, and you could be in a different country lol.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I eat at the Waffle House near the Savannah-Pooler line. By the airport. It's a real greasy spoon. That's why I go there. A little over 6 years ago, visiting my son, I took a chance and went across from my motel to have breakfast. When I opened the door, everybody, and I mean everybody, cooks, servers, manager, custodian all turned around and looked at me and said "Good Morning". I turned around thinking it was somebody behind me. That started my love for the Savannah area which I will be moving to shortly.
Every time I travel to the South, Waffle House is the first place I go. It's like eating with family. Plus the waffles are really good. I wish we had them in CT but the closest ones are in southeastern Pennsylvania. It takes close to 4 hours to get to the closest one, so I only make the trip once per month. You do stupid things for love.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Going up 81 halfway in VA, 64 cuts through. Charlottesville VA is less than an hour from there and is a beautiful area. Lived there for a year after college. There are like 30+ vineyards in the area, great breweries and of course the UVA campus and Monticello. Not sure if any of that is open with Covid situation, but if it is open, it would be a nice 1 or 2 day detour just off your route.

Reaction Score
edit: Mount Mitchell is the highest, not Grandfather. Both are beautiful and worth seeinghowever.
Been to the top of Mt. MIitchell. It is ~6,600 feet high give or take a few and is the higest point east of the Mississippi. It is one heck of a paved grade to get up there from the parking lot but oh so worth it. Great views from there. Oddly enough, I just saw the pic I have of me at the Mt. Mitchell sign atop the mountian a couple days ago. Well worth the ride out of Asheville and on the Blue Ridge to get there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every time I travel to the South, Waffle House is the first place I go. It's like eating with family....
Gaffigan does a great bit on Waffle House, "though seeing a guy in a t-shirt cooking eggs with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth does remind me of my Dad." The one time I went and sat at the counter, my potatoes came covered in that Mercurochrome-colored cheese instead of the onions I had ordered. I mentioned that to the server and she shoots me this look, picks up my plate and knife, and scrapes all the potatoes in to the garbage can then shoves the plate and knife back at me. A few minutes later some new potatoes showed up. That's Waffle House!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Yes. Thx. Signed up for it. Is it easy to get a spot last minute since you can’t reserve?
The web site said 24 hrs. But we often called only a few hrs prior.

Almost got shut out at a distillery in Idaho, but we were small and they were able to fit us in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom