Rutty gets 2 primetime BTN games | The Boneyard

Rutty gets 2 primetime BTN games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://btn.com/2014/04/22/btn-releases-2014-prime-time-slate/

Delany comes out firing as he tries to get the BTN on basic in the NYC demo.

I guess we'll know pretty quickly how this is going to go. Our best bet is that the reception is lukewarm. This gives Delany the hope that adding UConn can push it over the top.

Here is the description of the Rutgers/Michigan game: The “birthplace of college football” will play host to the all-time winningest college football program in the first meeting ever between these schools. Having a storied program like Michigan playing in the shadow of New York City in prime time is what this “new” Big Ten is all about. It’s also a great chance for the Scarlet Knights to measure themselves vs. a Big Ten standard bearer. Without Big Ten membership, no way, no how, does a program like Michigan visit Rutgers. Win (or at least make a game of it) and it will go a long way toward helping Rutgers build its program and brand.

Hammering away at the Michigan in the shadow of NYC theme. We saw the ABC ratings we had when they were here on a Sat nite. Interesting to see how this game does on the BTN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm still not sure whether it's best for us to RU succeed, fail or turn in a middling response in terms of ratings...or if it matters at all.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would imagine we would want Rutgers games to do well in NYC ( meaning higherthan say Michigan/ Michigan state would in a similar time spot).

If B1G sees one ratings driver in NYC doing well, it would make more sense to add a second I would think( in addition toour new England presence).

pj

Reaction Score
We certainly don't want Rutgers to fail. That reflects badly not only on Rutgers, but also on expansion.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
And what is the super-duper top secret plan for content from November - April? We have so much more content than Rutgers that it is laughable.

And we hope they fail, absolutely miserably. Why, because fuc& them, that's why.

Reaction Score
University of New Jersey sucks.

God damn, it pisses me off and turns my stomach that we gave up the game against Michigan last September. 21-7 we were up in the 3rd. FAAAAHHHHHQQQQQ.

Strangest little things will start getting me ready for football. I want football right now. That game right there, shows that we can compete - we just need to play with fire and intensity. Aug 29 can't come fast enough.

Oh yeah - Rutgers... I mean UNJ sucks.

Reaction Score
No, we root for them to win, but for us to also win and to continue to outdraw them in NYC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To clarify I think we root for them to continue to suck (I.e. be Rutgers) but get big ratings.

If they don't draw ratings why would the B1G even consider doubling down?

Reaction Score
To clarify I think we root for them to continue to suck (I.e. be Rutgers) but get big ratings.

If they don't draw ratings why would the B1G even consider doubling down?
Provided we're outdrawing them still, with athletic success to boot, I think their success could only help.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Provided we're outdrawing them still, with athletic success to boot, I think their success could only help.

I think to Rutgers credit they do have something like 4 of the top 5 highest rated college football games in the NYC DMA in ESPN history.

I'm not sure how we fare compared to them in ratings for football or how high our basketball ratings compare but the more dent Rutgers makes I think it makes UConn the tipping point to make NYC officially B1G territory.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't want the BTN on in NYC. If the BTN wins that battle against cable with just Rutgers forget it.

The idea that content matters is funny. Getting carriage is what matters. If they are in the tier they want to be in they can broadcast test patterns.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You don't want the BTN on in NYC. If the BTN wins that battle against cable with just Rutgers forget it.

The idea that content matters is funny. Getting carriage is what matters. If they are in the tier they want to be in they can broadcast test patterns.

You don't get carriage without content that people want, and demand. You make it sound like you can just start a station and TimeWarner will start throwing money at you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think whaler is saying who knows if it gets on the tier they want, but once they do, it doesn't matter how Rutgers performs ( on the field or ratings wise).

Anybody know where this stands? I mean Rutgers joins in a couple months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think whaler is saying who knows if it gets on the tier they want, but once they do, it doesn't matter how Rutgers performs ( on the field or ratings wise).

Anybody know where this stands? I mean Rutgers joins in a couple months.

Ding ding ding ding. This isn't complicated: If the BTN gets on the NYC cable systems in the tier they want at the rate they demand UConn has almost no chance of joining the league.

UConn needs a drawn out battle that the BTN loses - where UConn's becomes potentially much more valuable if they push the BTN over the hump.

I don't think people get how lowly rated non-football games are on these networks.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know it appears BTN seems well positioned to get what they want with Fox also having a large stake in YES and leveraging the Yankees with the negotiations, but NYC DMA cable battles are insane.

The Yankees and the Knicks have both been off the air with certain providers through the years over disputes.

Just have to hope it's really close to getting it on and UConn bumps it over. I think if that were the case, B1G would just take UConn for now and then grab a Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas later.

I think they see how initial negotiations go ( hopefully bad) and then reassess with a potential UConn add. They'll want to do this asap as the longer UConn is in the AAC the less likely we are to move the needle.

Reaction Score
Brian from Iowa writes: For a long time now, teams like Iowa and Wisconsin have supported the B1G unconditionally, even when there has been a perceived league bias towards teams with richer histories. While I would have thought the question ridiculous a year ago, is it possible that Jim Delany's greed will eventually drive fans away? They already have trouble engaging students (future donors) and nothing endears current Big Ten boosters like a night game played at a mediocre stadium in New Jersey.

Rittenberg: Brian, I understand your anger about the prime-time selections, but you might have the wrong target. Jim Delany doesn't make the prime-time schedules. The league's television partners, along with the individual school administrators, are the power players here. Each school has its own preferences and constraints. A lot of things need to match up for a night game to work. If my team is left off the prime-time slate, I'm taking it up with my athletic director. Delany's recent expansion moves have turned off some Big Ten fans and he'll be judged appropriately. But his role in the prime-time schedule isn't as significant as many believe.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/99520/big-ten-tuesday-mailblog-18

Reaction Score

I can't wait for Time Warner to drop it when it's contract negotiation time. We will get the radio ads that will go something like this:

Time Warner Cable is shutting you out of Rutgers Football! To get your Rutgers Football and the BTN back on in NYC, call 800-B1G-S8CK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom