Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. What do you recommend? | The Boneyard

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. What do you recommend?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will be going this weekend for the first time. Anyone have any recommendations?

Reaction Score
Filet on the bone, 3 inches thick ...medium / medium rare ....$65.00 worth double that compared to NY steak houses...Makes Outback, Longhorn's ect seem like a 1/4lb at Mcdonald's ... Enjoy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Filet, NY strip, even a sirloin if you don’t want to break the bank. Baked potato side. Cabernet Sauvignon. And money, you will need that.

Reaction Score
Had Japanese A5 Miyazaki Wagyu for 50th birthday recently. Cooked it at home with the wife. All other streaks bow down. Very rich, but the best steak in the world. Had US and Australian wagyu many times but the Japanese A5 is on another level. Pricey but worth it for a special occasion if you have some disposable income available.

Reaction Score
Just get your favorite cut of steak. It will be amazing. People say the filet there is great, but it's not my favorite cut on the cow so I couldn't tell you.

Personally, I'm a ribeye fan. The cap of a ribeye is, imo, the best steak on the animal. Sometimes costco sells wrapped ribeye caps that I reverse sear--life-changing kind of good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody does the filet better than Ruth’s. Don’t touch the plate because its sizzling hot. Ask for sautéed spinach and add your favorite type of potato. House cab is fine
Haven't been in years but I still remember loving their filet. In fact, I would just follow Gabbyfan here.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I’ll echo everyone else and say the Filet, if that’s your thing. Of the chains in that price range (Ruths Chris, Morton’s, Hyde Park, etc.) I prefer Ruth’s Chris, so hopefully you enjoy!

Reaction Score
You will have a first class meal, but of the chains I prefer Capital Grill myself. Best and most consistent service.

Grill 23 in Boston though -- as much as I'm not a fan of Boston love that place. Some great bar meeting dinners there and the best beef tartar I've had in decades.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You can't really go wrong with any steak. Go classic with creamed spinach as a side.

On the wine, Cabs pair well with any well marbled cut due to tannins, but if you're going filet, you might want to consider a Malbec.

Reaction Score
You can't really go wrong with any steak. Go classic with creamed spinach as a side.

On the wine, Cabs pair well with any well marbled cut due to tannins, but if you're going filet, you might want to consider a Malbec.
Depends on the sauce(if any) and the veggies on the plate. Asparagus is not a wine-friendly veggie --as an example.

Could see Malbec with mushrooms

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Why?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Depends on the sauce(if any) and the veggies on the plate. Asparagus is not a wine-friendly veggie --as an example.

Could see Malbec with mushrooms
Well, if you're going out to enjoy a great bottle, you don't order asparagus.

A good high altitude Malbec is a delight with leaner cuts like filet. But I did check the Ruth's menu here in Pgh to see what Malbecs they offered to make a specific recommendation, and the two from Argentina are not particularly great specimens.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why?
At the risk of sounding stuffy and derailing the thread, my thought process is that filet is a leaner cut while also being less "beefy" tasting. A big cab from one of the iconic CA producers could easily overwhelm it. But, see the post immediately above this one as the Malbecs offered at Ruth's are OK but nothing to write home about. And you could buy them at Total Wine for $25 or less.

That said, years ago wife and I had chateaubriand at the Cleveland Ritz-Carlton with a bottle of 1987 Silver Oak Bonny Doon, which was at that time the most expensive bottle I'd ever ordered and it was a wonderful pairing. Which also sent me down a rabbit hole for a few years collecting Cali cabs before I realized they had limited appeal for me, especially for the prices. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm opening the last of that expensive hobby in a few weeks for our 20th anniversary, and honestly I'll be glad to be rid of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom