Rutgers | The Boneyard

Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the first school to depart that I will really miss. I liked the rivalry, and even if this week works out as we all hope, there is nothing in the new league that will replace Rutgers. Both UConn and Rutgers' fanbases looked forward to the annual game, but it was fun, not vitriolic.

UConn is going to lose something intangible, but still important, when Rutgers leaves.

Reaction Score
images

I will miss Rutgers

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
meh, not so much.

Reaction Score
If you don't count us, when Rutgers leaves, then the last old Big East football school will have left the conference. If that's not an indication of a complete failure of a conference then I don't know what is.

Reaction Score
Big East added football in 1991, only Rutgers and Temple remain from that first season. UConn joined for football in 2004.

Reaction Score
Big East added football in 1991, only Rutgers and Temple remain from that first season. UConn joined for football in 2004.

Temple doesn't count. They weren't a member continuously and they were only an associate member for football.

Reaction Score
I believe we'll still play Rutgers.

IF they do get a B1G invite, good for them. But they couldn't win the Big East, I'm going to enjoy seeing them in the basement of the B1G for decades to come.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you don't count us, when Rutgers leaves, then the last old Big East football school will have left the conference. If that's not an indication of a complete failure of a conference then I don't know what is.

Or success since every team landed in another big league. Failure would have been the MWC or CUSA, where a couple of programs will get saved and everyone else is screwed. All 7 of the original Big East wouldn't have landed on their feet, at least temporarily, if the league wasn't successful.

Reaction Score
Or success since every team landed in another big league. Failure would have been the MWC or CUSA, where a couple of programs will get saved and everyone else is screwed. All 7 of the original Big East wouldn't have landed on their feet, at least temporarily, if the league wasn't successful.

Speaks to mismanagement of the league docent it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Speaks to mismanagement of the league docent it?

Speaks of bad timing of TV contracts. Going last every time turned out to be a huge disadvantage.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Rutgers will succeed in the Big Ten. I hope they stay on our schedule, we do well against them, and they help us get an invite.

Reaction Score

No. The mission of the Big East was not to matriculate its members to other conferences.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I like playing Rutgers. I like their fans - from RutgersAl to the younger Berra. We have more in common (as a football fanbase) with Rutgers than most here want to admit. If we are in different conferences, I want them on the schedule.

Reaction Score
No. The mission of the Big East was not to matriculate its members to other conferences.

Actually, the mission of a membership corporation is to improve the lot of its members. Not to be focused on self-sustaining growth and power.

Reaction Score
Actually, the mission of a membership corporation is to improve the lot of its members. Not to be focused on self-sustaining growth and power.

I literally almost confused you with Waylon there. Stop doing that.

I think the implied condition is that they improve together, not screw each other over with uncoordinated departures!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree with most of this. I will miss Rutgers the most. The games are usually good, competitive games and I think both fanbases get a little extra excited when the two teams play. I'm happy for them if they can get into the B1G. They're really an untapped program in a good location for both TV viewership and recruiting. I'd love to continue an annual game with them...maybe play it at Yankee Stadium every year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn BS degree, Rutgers PhD. If there's any shot at UConn landing a Big Ten invite I hope Herbst moves heaven and earth to get it (though it sounds like other schools might be in line before us). I said this before, I'll be relieved if UConn goes to the ACC, but it would be slightly less attractive than an ACC with both Rutgers and Maryland in it - two driveable road games and important recruiting grounds for UConn FB.

Reaction Score
I literally almost confused you with Waylon there. Stop doing that.

I think the implied condition is that they improve together, not screw each other over with uncoordinated departures!

I am not arguing that the Big East did a good job. I am just pointing out that in a non-profit membership organization, the goal is not to strengthen the organization and the support staff that runs it. Practically, that is what happens but theoretically, that is not the goal. If members are better suited not being in the organization, the organization shouldn't be holding them there.

Reaction Score
I am not arguing that the Big East did a good job. I am just pointing out that in a non-profit membership organization, the goal is not to strengthen the organization and the support staff that runs it. Practically, that is what happens but theoretically, that is not the goal. If members are better suited not being in the organization, the organization shouldn't be holding them there.

That is probably true. But I am still pretty sure that the Big East mission wasn't to place its most valuable members in better conferences. Although if it were, we would be the best at it for all of time.

Reaction Score
the biggest lie going today. The athletic departments, bowls, the conferences themselves, and everything else is to do with the universities is done under the guise of 'non-profit'... People/organizations are making a lot of money off this, hence the blatant money grab and typical elbowing and positioning at the trough...

Reaction Score
the biggest lie going today. The athletic departments, bowls, the conferences themselves, and everything else is to do with the universities is done under the guise of 'non-profit'... People/organizations are making a lot of money off this, hence the blatant money grab and typical elbowing and positioning at the trough...

No, I think this is not correct. They are LOSING money. The money grab is the smart thing to do precisely because of the money losses. If you were losing money, wouldn't it be your duty to staunch those losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom