Rutgers update re BOT | The Boneyard

Rutgers update re BOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Thanks. Always nice to have new information posted. Keep up the good work.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Signs of some leadership afoot by someone in that article.

I like our road trips better.
Hate to not play WVU every year.
Houston is a better program right now than SMU.
The author seriously needs to look up the definition of "perennial" because Boise isn't perennialy anything except cold and distant aorn.
The ninth paragraph is what should have happened in 2003. #spiltmilk

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A lot of posters sequenced these events. They are the only logical options if the BE decides to do something instead of just waiting for events to happen.

These two things are significant:

But adding Boise State for football only remains an option the league is aggressively pursuing, despite some resistance from certain Big East factions. (I wonder which football schools are against this choice. I don't get the impression the bb schools are choosing the football side of the conference)

In addition, the Big East’s long-term goal is to create two separate leagues under one umbrella, with the 12 football schools having a separate commissioner from the eight basketball schools.
The sides would offer a united front during all future TV negotiations.

Reaction Score
Seems like Rutgers moves slowly. Herbst took the bull by the horns and researched our options. Rutgers is just getting around to it by putting someone in charge.

Reaction Score
"Rutgers’ Board of Governors is expected to give athletic director Tim Pernetti the authority to pursue conference options during a regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday."

Does this mean RU is in talks with somebody? Why now, after all this time?
Could as simple as this is the first regularly scheduled BOG meeting for Rutgers since all this realignment took over. Or, could be things are developing. Not really certain.

Reaction Score
Signs of some leadership afoot by someone in that article.

I like our road trips better.
Hate to not play WVU every year.
Houston is a better program right now than SMU.
The author seriously needs to look up the definition of "perennial" because Boise isn't perennialy anything except cold and distant aorn..

I don't know where this Boise St. bashing comes from. Some are acting like they have had just a couple of good years and could be an awful team when their QB graduates. Since 1999 Boise has a record of 121-14. Think about that for a minute. That is an 11 year stretch with 14 losses. This was done with 3 different head coaches, so you can't sit back and say it was just the coach.

Yes, their academics is nothing to brag about, but that is why the BE wants to bring in stellar academic programs like Air Force and Navy. I will gladly take some academic ribbing from others if it means the BE keeps the millions associated with being a BCS AQ league. Hopefully, the ivory tower residents of the hoops schools can see this also.

Getting Boise, Air Force, SMU and Houston would be a home run in my eyes. SMU and Houston are old Southwest Conference teams that were kicked out in 1996. They are not starting from scratch as they have the tradition and fanbase to rekindle some great football in the Big East, but more importantly they have the money to finance facilities and programs that would make most current BE teams envious

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hoophound, The "Conference Options" alluded to in this article are about the BE configuration imo. They have given him the authority to choose the teams, the commissioner for the football side of the conference, and the negotiations on how to split media contracts between the two divisions.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't think this isn't new news or isn't a new development? At the same time UConn was looking at its options, Rutgers was doing the same, and it was mentioned in the press. This is just flyonthewall trying to further get under our collective skin.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My guess is that USF and Cincy would.be the most against BSU as not wanting to be stuck travelling in the event more teams leave and BSU drops off. I think that is the thought of any schools FB or BB that isn't intent on leaving if asked.

Not trashing BSU, they would be a top team on the BE. The problem is that six years does not a perennial power make. I give them since 2005 as a top 25 team and the last two as a top ten team. Kudos for keeping it going through a coaching change (even with his record at CU) and finding a better QB mid-run.

If they can dominate pacific northwest in recruiting and keep their coach they.can make it. To equate them with.our BB team's rise, they are 1994-95. They could just as easily be UMass from that period. Is it worth it to reach that far. Boise is plain tough to get to and it has nothing to do with mileage. is a necessary pick if you want Navy as FB only.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who doesn't think this isn't new news or isn't a new development? At the same time UConn was looking at its options, Rutgers was doing the same, and it was mentioned in the press. This is just flyonthewall trying to further get under our collective skin.
The new news is the sequence of targeted schools. The new news is a football conference of twelve teams with its own commissioner in affiliation with eight basketball teams with its own commissioner, acting in tandem for media contracts. That is significant. The only reason it seems old news is because a lot of people proposed hypothetical scenarios to the one taking place. This article is more likely an insight of the actual process as opposed to all the theoretical proposals by outsiders.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My guess is that USF and Cincy would.be the most against BSU as not wanting to be stuck travelling in the event more teams leave and BSU drops off. I think that is the thought of any schools FB or BB that isn't intent on leaving if asked.

Not trashing BSU, they would be a top team on the BE. The problem is that six years does not a perennial power make. I give them since 2005 as a top 25 team and the last two as a top ten team. Kudos for keeping it going through a coaching change (even with his record at CU) and finding a better QB mid-run.

If they can dominate pacific northwest in recruiting and keep their coach they.can make it. To equate them with.our BB team's rise, they are 1994-95. They could just as easily be UMass from that period. Is it worth it to reach that far. Boise is plain tough to get to and it has nothing to do with mileage. is a necessary pick if you want Navy as FB only.

Thanks for the response. Those are legitimate concerns and you are probably correct which teams are most concerned, those with the least likely opportunity to leave the BE conference.

Reaction Score

Just because I do not drink the Kool-aid and proclaim UConn as the absolutely best choice for every conference does not make everything I post an attempt to get under people's skin.

As far as the article being old news you should take that up with the author because it was published last night at 10:48PM and further updated this morning at 2:38AM. Says that right up there at the top where a careful read would have seen it. Apparently a major newspaper in NJ, the Star-Ledger, thought it newsworthy enough to publish as far as containing new info and the comment about the supposed Temple BOT action is also something not seen elsewhere.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The new news is the sequence of targeted schools. The new news is a football conference of twelve teams with its own commissioner in affiliation with eight basketball teams with its own commissioner, acting in tandem for media contracts. That is significant. The only reason it seems old news is because a lot of people proposed hypothetical scenarios to the one taking place. This article is more likely an insight of the actual process as opposed to all the theoretical proposals by outsiders.

Yes, this moves away from the hybrid model that failed to this date. Having a 12 + 8 configuration with separate commissioners but maintaining a relationship with the basketball schools is win-win, IMO. I'd like to see Temple be added for all sports. Nova may not be crazy about it but Temple would be a nice hoops addition. Heck, if some of the more easterly teams complain about travel, I'd offer financial compensation and scheduling to accommodate the student's as much as possible.

The longer this has gone on, and the more that has come to light, the more I do not want to be a part of the ACC

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Just because I do not drink the Kool-aid and proclaim UConn as the absolutely best choice for every conference does not make everything I post an attempt to get under people's skin.

As far as the article being old news you should take that up with the author because it was published last night at 10:48PM and further updated this morning at 2:38AM. Says that right up there at the top where a careful read would have seen it. Apparently a major newspaper in NJ, the Star-Ledger, thought it newsworthy enough to publish as far as containing new info and the comment about the supposed Temple BOT action is also something not seen elsewhere.
I have to say I misjudged you. I read all of your posts and came away with you possibility you were a flamer. But I wasn't certain. I still thought Mandel's article was hilarious because of his background. My position was never to deny his position. I just saw the humor in it and explained why.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, this moves away from the hybrid model that failed to this date. Having a 12 + 8 configuration with separate commissioners but maintaining a relationship with the basketball schools is win-win, IMO. I'd like to see Temple be added for all sports. Nova may not be crazy about it but Temple would be a nice hoops addition. Heck, if some of the more easterly teams complain about travel, I'd offer financial compensation and scheduling to accommodate the student's as much as possible.

The longer this has gone on, and the more that has come to light, the more I do not want to be a part of the ACC
It seems like the BB schools and Nova have made the concession about Temple. These are potentially big developments for the BE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is closer to something that could survive. I don't like the hybrid format, and still have doubts that any conference with members who share nothing in common can survive long term.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

A careful read did see that it was published and updated within the past 24 hours, and careful google search would have shown you the following: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/s...keep-options-open-amid-big-east-upheaval.html

"The Atlantic Coast Conference’s formal introduction of Syracuse and Pittsburgh as its newest members on Sunday morning left officials from Connecticut and Rutgers not-so-quietly exploring their options of finding a landing spot outside the Big East...Rutgers Athletic Director Tim Pernetti acknowledged trying to make contingency plans for the university, but he declined to name the conferences that he contacted."

Now I will apologize if your intent was not to insinuate that RU is going to find a new conference thus leaving UConn scrambling and send this board into a sky-is-falling panic. If that was not your goal, I apologize. If your goal was to spread the news that RU is looking to escape the BE, well, then you're just late with that news.

Reaction Score
This is closer to something that could survive. I don't like the hybrid format, and still have doubts that any conference with members who share nothing in common can survive long term.
I have mixed feelings about the hybrid format but the idea of 2 seperate commissioners appeals to me. The football and basketball schools have different agendas and hopefully seperating them within the league would keep the basketball schools from voting on football issues.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about the hybrid format but the idea of 2 seperate commissioners appeals to me. The football and basketball schools have different agendas and hopefully seperating them within the league would keep the basketball schools from voting on football issues.

Essentially it is two conferences sharing the same brand. Every member of the fb conference is a football only member. Some play Olympic sports in the BE, some in other conferences.

It's logical in that the BE brand has value for basketball and has the AQ status, so neither can give it up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
"Rutgers’ Board of Governors is expected to give athletic director Tim Pernetti the authority to pursue conference options during a regularly scheduled meeting Wednesday."

Does this mean RU is in talks with somebody? Why now, after all this time?
In Waylon's vernacular Pernetti has been given permission to beg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom