Rutgers' travails continue ... | The Boneyard

Rutgers' travails continue ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
... with a 53-51 loss to the University of Houston, last year's AAC cellar-dweller.

The loss is even more troubling because Rutgers had a 10-point lead (48-38) with 4:30 to play — a very sizable lead in such a low-scoring game. But somehow, C-Viv's squad managed to be outscored 15-3 down the stretch.

I hesitate to call this the nadir for Rutgers, after their 30-point loss to Princeton and their 26-point loss to St. John's. Perhaps Houston has improved since last year, but this one really has to sting.

But, having said all that, good for Houston and the AAC. Every win counts.

Reaction Score
Great C. Vivian story!
Big East Tournament at HCC, Rutgers vs 'nova a friend of mine was working the clock the night before and asked a bunch of friends at breakfast who was she? Every word out of her mouth was F this and that, to refs, players, asst coaches, really nasty! 'Nova won in a close game!
I was very surprised that Rutgers didn't let CVS go when her contract was up going into the B1G!

Reaction Score
At home games vs Rutgers I would stand up during time outs and yell at CVS, "Jewel of the East, Vivian, jewel of the East!"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
At home games vs Rutgers I would stand up during time outs and yell at CVS, "Jewel of the East, Vivian, jewel of the East!"
Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great C. Vivian story!
Big East Tournament at HCC, Rutgers vs 'nova a friend of mine was working the clock the night before and asked a bunch of friends at breakfast who was she? Every word out of her mouth was F this and that, to refs, players, asst coaches, really nasty! 'Nova won in a close game!
I was very surprised that Rutgers didn't let CVS go when her contract was up going into the B1G!
With all the scandals surrounding the Rutgers athletic program, CViv was safe with a national reputation.

Reaction Score
Great C. Vivian story!
Big East Tournament at HCC, Rutgers vs 'nova a friend of mine was working the clock the night before and asked a bunch of friends at breakfast who was she? Every word out of her mouth was F this and that, to refs, players, asst coaches, really nasty!

I hope you're not suggesting that Geno speaks like a choir boy.

Reaction Score
Vivian!!! Geno is closing in!
C Vivian Stringer Rutgers 46 yrs 973-374 this year 2-9
Geno THE Uconn 32 yrs 963/134 """""""" 8-0
Barbara Stevens at Bentley is just 7 back at 966

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Great C. Vivian story!
Please. First, Vivian is very difficult to hear. And while she uses word a lot, at times (probably not on the Dawn Staley level) she doesn't use it "to" folks. In fact, you have to be very careful what you say to refs - and players at Rutgers after the men's side fiasco.

I spent 15 years behind the bench at the RAC. Other team steals the ball - "F..."; player misses a shot - "F..." or "Da..". Player makes a bad pass, maybe "WTF was she doing?". Not using the bad language in addressing folks for sure, and not all that much. I also sat behind the bench of UConn during an early round BET game at the Rac and Geno is very similar - using the words in a similar way - except he gave several really humorous non-profane remarks as well. And Geno is NOT hard to hear (in a mostly empty arena).

Reaction Score
Please. First, Vivian is very difficult to hear. And while she uses word a lot, at times (probably not on the Dawn Staley level) she doesn't use it "to" folks. In fact, you have to be very careful what you say to refs - and players at Rutgers after the men's side fiasco.

I spent 15 years behind the bench at the RAC. Other team steals the ball - "F..."; player misses a shot - "F..." or "Da..". Player makes a bad pass, maybe "WTF was she doing?". Not using the bad language in addressing folks for sure, and not all that much. I also sat behind the bench of UConn during an early round BET game at the Rac and Geno is very similar - using the words in a similar way - except he gave several really humorous non-profane remarks as well. And Geno is NOT hard to hear (in a mostly empty arena).

KnightBridgeAZ- - - My friend working the clock didn't say CVS was yelling word, but she used it constantly as she walked around and he couldn't miss it! He was just shocked it was coming from a 65+ year old lady! And yes Geno has been known to drop a few nasties along the way!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My sympathies to our Rutgers fans/alums!

Rutgers made the B1G and UConn didn't. Obviously, women's hoops was not the criterion.

Losing to the AAC cellar-dweller is embarrassing, though I think the conference is improving over time because of UConn being part of it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This press conference after Rutgers' JMU loss is a bit difficult to watch (fair warning): C-Viv rambles on and on, at times borderline-incoherently, and then after about 7 minutes proclaims herself "speechless."

Reaction Score
She does seem to have a high-level grasp of the situation though.... "We're here in front of our home fans, and fortunate that anyone would want to come see this mess."

Reaction Score
Doesn't seem too much like rambling to me. Sounds like a coach who knows what she is seeing before her very eyes and she doesn't like it. I think she just said she was speechless as to what she was going to say to her team. But this is classic.....'we got little people and we got big people and we got the midgets up there and she shot over us.....'

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Doesn't seem too much like rambling to me. Sounds like a coach who knows what she is seeing before her very eyes and she doesn't like it. I think she just said she was speechless as to what she was going to say to her team. But this is classic.....'we got little people and we got big people and we got the midgets up there and she shot over us.....'
I'm not watching, because while I like Vivian she does ramble - even when she is speaking to the point. She also isn't always very accurate. The fans used to say that if she said we were playing Idaho - that meant we were playing some team from Idaho or Iowa or Utah (short name, western state and starts with a vowel). We called it "Vivianese".

At least according to the RU board, the player that went off was a whopping 5'8" - I'm not sure that was true or not, but I think her midget comment was probably tongue in cheek, either referring to how the players played or the fact that she shot over everyone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that was true or not, but I think her midget comment was probably tongue in cheek, either referring to how the players played or the fact that she shot over everyone.
She ought to know better.

Reaction Score
The Rutgers story, at least in its present iteration, is a very sad one. No one, at least in my opinion, should take pleasure in it...our own favorite program, looking at the long term, cannot be considered immune from a similar fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom