Rutgers? Rutgers? Man you're talking about Rutgers | The Boneyard

Rutgers? Rutgers? Man you're talking about Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It doesn't particularly disgust me, but looked at from a historical perspective it's really beyond shocking. This is a school that only recently rose above being a total drag on everyone around it in football. That is its achievement to date.

Reaction Score
If you believe Nate Silver's blog about college football popularity, they have about 50% more fans than we do. And a much large portion of the NYC market share (though still not a huge amount). If you're looking at two comparative programs, it's a no-brainer from the B1G perspective.

Reaction Score
It disgusts me. A school that has won nothing. No NCAA championships. You can count the conference championships on one hand.

I think that's one of the most maddening things of this entire experience. That we sit in judgment of schools and fans that haven't accomplished anything close to what we have.

Reaction Score
Rutgers? Channeling my inner Alan Iverson.

Throughly disgusted. Added to Big 10 because of location. No merit. Location

Not true. Rutgers had a plan and followed it.

They expanded their stadium to 50k even without selling out the place and they still don't reach capacity.

They recruit kids like no other northern team

They build excitement into their program with new uni's and fan black outs

They committed to building their football program and put a decent respectable product on the field

Kudos to Rutgers. Yeah, they got in because of the NY market, but they are more ready to compete in the big 10 than Maryland is.

Reaction Score

Rutgers University wishes you well in the re-constituted Big East.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
how many times do we have to talk about this

-markets
-fanbase size
-fanbase penetration in markets
-identity
-potential
-winning...

rutgers is a easy add b10 wise and its not a question. we have been chatting about it for years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? Rutgers is one of the oldest universities in the country. They played in the first ever college football game. They have a student body of 38,000 at the Brunswick campus. They have AAU membership and have always enjoyed a strong academic reputation. UConn meanwhile had a very mediocre academic reputation until the last 15 or so years. UConn is in the middle of nowhere, with a small campus population for a state school, and we're not close to Rutgers in research grants. Rutgers very much fits the profile of a Big Ten university. UConn does not.

Now you can complain that their football team isn't exactly Michigan. So? Neither is Minnesota's or Indiana's or Purdue's or Illinois'. Short term on the field performance is a mind-numbingly stupid way to determine what schools you want in your conference. It's the one thing that is guaranteed to change.

Reaction Score
-markets (Hartford/New Haven is #30, our state border is 30 mins from downtown Manhattan, Boston up the road an hour to the north, that's a lot of people we are in the proximity of)
-fanbase size (and ours is chopped liver?)
-fanbase penetration in markets (so do we)
-identity (ours is a lot better)
-potential (ours has been reached to the point we have 2 conference titles and a BCS trip, so far they don't)
-winning...(we won faster than they did)

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Rutgers is one of the oldest universities in the country. They played in the first ever college football game. They have a student body of 38,000 at the Brunswick campus. They have AAU membership and have always enjoyed a strong academic reputation. UConn meanwhile had a very mediocre academic reputation until the last 15 or so years. UConn is in the middle of nowhere, with a small campus population for a state school, and we're not close to Rutgers in research grants. Rutgers very much fits the profile of a Big Ten university. UConn does not.

Now you can complain that their football team isn't exactly Michigan. So? Neither is Minnesota's or Indiana's or Purdue's or Illinois'. Short term on the field performance is a mind-numbingly stupid way to determine what schools you want in your conference. It's the one thing that is guaranteed to change.

Good lord, I am sorry you seem to have such a low opinion of our school and what it has to offer. How bizarre you are a UConn fan and work up that much passion to defend Rutgers at UConn's expense too. Impressive.

Reaction Score

I value results. They have zero track record of being successful. Zero. This is not about academics or AAU membership or actual results. They got in because of location. No other reason

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's a great opportunity to schedule and beat a BiG Team.

Reaction Score
I value results. They have zero track record of being successful. Zero. This is not about academics or AAU membership or actual results. They got in because of location. No other reason

Isn't there some kind of rule about location? Area, area, area? Region, region, region? Neighborhood, neighborhood, neighborhood? I forget how that rule about location goes.

Reaction Score
Rutgers University wishes you well in the re-constituted Big East.
Big will have major buyers remorse if cable systems go to ala carte pricing instead of tiered pricing.

RU will not bring the ROI if this happens

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good lord, I am sorry you seem to have such a low opinion of our school and what it has to offer. How bizarre you are a UConn fan and work up that much passion to defend Rutgers at UConn's expense too. Impressive.

Eyes wide open people. I spent 4 years in Storrs and grew up 30 minutes away. I love the place and would be very happy if my daughter chose it as well. Being a "Big Ten" school isn't better than not being a Big Ten school, just different. But Rutgers looks like the other Big Ten schools and UConn doesn't. We look a lot more like the ACC schools.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Big will have major buyers remorse if cable systems go to ala carte pricing instead of tiered pricing.

Ha, or if Cablevision fights the fee jump. See YES, Tribune, etc etc etc etc for examples.

Reaction Score
Short term on the field performance is a mind-numbingly stupid way to determine what schools you want in your conference. It's the one thing that is guaranteed to change.

You're treading very close to the STFU line. "Short-term performance?" Seriously? The fact that makes this move difficult for many is the exact opposite of "short-term performance."

If you're just here now to be argumentative, please leave us alone.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're treading very close to the STFU line. "Short-term performance?" Seriously? The fact that makes this move difficult for many is the exact opposite of "short-term performance."

If you're just here now to be argumentative, please leave us alone.

I'm making reference to grabs at schools like Boise, who have a poor fundamental foundation, but have had near term success. Or the inevitable posts saying we should add ECU every time they have a decent season. Delaney doesn't think that way. Rutgers has never fulfilled its "potential" we all know that, and I'm not arguing it. I'm suggesting that as a university, it's a fit for the Big Ten and UConn really is not (no matter how much I'd like an invite). Rutgers is not getting an invite because they are 9-1, they are getting it despite the fact that they have underperformed on the field for years.

Reaction Score
I'm making reference to grabs at schools like Boise, who have a poor fundamental foundation, but have had near term success. Or the inevitable posts saying we should add ECU every time they have a decent season. Delaney doesn't think that way. Rutgers has never fulfilled its "potential" we all know that, and I'm not arguing it. I'm suggesting that as a university, it's a fit for the Big Ten and UConn really is not (no matter how much I'd like an invite). Rutgers is not getting an invite because they are 9-1, they are getting it despite the fact that they have underperformed on the field for years.

Fair enough. Athletic performance aside, UConn does fit better into the ACC and Rutgers does fit better into the Big Ten.

But while short term performance is not a factor to smart conferences, positive short term performance certainly should beat negative short and long term performance.

Reaction Score

True, but until that happens there are 1.8M Cablvision subscribers in NJ. And they may tie the BTN in wit YES, even in an ala carte model. This is a no brainer for the B1G.

Reaction Score
True, but until that happens there are 1.8M Cablvision subscribers in NJ. And they may tie the BTN in wit YES, even in an ala carte model. This is a no brainer for the B1G.

While I'm sure this is well thought out, and consultants are telling them this will work, it is not a no brainer. They are diluting their product by doing this. Whenever you dilute your product, you risk long term effects to how your product is perceived and thus what people will pay for it.

What the Big Ten is doing is incredibly bold because it is not risk free. Adding Nebraska and PSU were risk free because in each case they improved the product.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Location is all the merit they needed. Stop the complaining. Nothing we can do about the fact that they add a wad of subscribers to the Big10 Network and generate millions of new $$$$ for the Big 10. They bring $$$ and we don't. Such is life. We will find our soft landing place soon enough.

Reaction Score
Location is all the merit they needed. Stop the complaining. Nothing we can do about the fact that they add a wad of subscribers to the Big10 Network and generate millions of new $$$$ for the Big 10. They bring $$$ and we don't. Such is life. We will find our soft landing place soon enough.

This is pretty much how I feel. Facts is facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom