Rutgers Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutgers Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although the fouls were an issue during the 1st 5 minutes, it was more than that. As for the fouls, there were two that I'm sure incensed Geno. Doty knocked Laney over trying to go for an impossible (for her) steal after the team was playing great half-court defense, and Faris fouled Richardson on a prayer of a shot that had a 20% chance of going in. The other stuff was Hartley losing Davis (badly) on a switch which resulted in a 3, Doty taking an ill-advised quick 3 from the corner on the first possession, Doty's pass to Dolson's feet in the lane and Faris making a lazy pass to an open KML in the lane. Rutgers came out focused and with intensity and all but Dolson didn't match it during the 1st 5 minutes. Sounds like Geno's frustration started during some bad practices Thurs and Friday. Tuck and Moriah were really good. I don't know what to say about Stewart. She's not making her 3s which means she need to go in the lane to score and that's where she's most uncomfortable right now. The coaches know she's thin and not as strong as many defenders right now, but part of it is going in there with the mentality that I'm going to take the contact and score and/or be fouled, or I'm going to go in there and fight for offensive rebounds. It doesn' look like she's playing with that mentality right now.

After watching the game again, Stewie was being held, bumped, mauled every time she cut across the middle and she let that affect her.She will learn over time to make it known she won't tolerate it.Tuck by contrast did a couple of shivers to defenders in answer. As long as they weren't calling it, why not ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
After watching the game again, Stewie was being held, bumped, mauled every time she cut across the middle and she let that affect her.She will learn over time to make it known she won't tolerate it.Tuck by contrast did a couple of shivers to defenders in answer. As long as they weren't calling it, why not ?

I agree. CD said on post-game that the players stopped cutting and started standing around because the RU defenders were bumping and grabbing, etc. That's what defenders try to get away with and if you stop cutting and just stand around, then the defense has won part of the battle. Tuck is stronger than Stewart and more willing to give as good as she's getting.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Stewart seems to have problems catching the ball. Many times she fumbles or has to reposition the ball in order to take the shot.

It's obvious that the coaches want her spending a lot of time in the low post and it's just as obvious that it she hasn't spent much time there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stewart seems to have problems catching the ball. Many times she fumbles or has to reposition the ball in order to take the shot.

It's obvious that the coaches want her spending a lot of time in the low post and it's just as obvious that it she hasn't spent much time there.

Right, and if she had spent time in the post it was against much smaller, less physical defenders. That's why HuskyNan is always reminding the board that post players in college take longer to develop. In Breanna's case, there needs to be physical development. Tina Charles was a physical specimen coming out of high school (though with a bit of a bum shoulder) but even she struggled in the lane at first.

Reaction Score
I make this observation having only watched the game on tv, but it seemed to me the ball had a little extra air in it and the rims seemed to be very tight based on the limited sound of the game on tv. Anyone else get this feeling?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you flip the UConn-ND score around, we beat them this year.
If that is what you think I said it is clear that I was speaking over your head. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom