Rutgers doesn't belong in the B1G | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rutgers doesn't belong in the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
there is an 'ignore' option.

only a troll could make that post after uconn losses to Towson and the entire board is calling for PP's head while the other half contemplate uconn's future in 'Big-Time' football.

Understand people are upset that Rutgers has gotten the winning lottery ticket while Uconn has been left holding a life vest on the Titanic.
Why? It's not like they took our slot. It's not they advocated for turning down the ESPN deal and then used the fact that we didn't take it as justification for leaving. Yes they used "creative" measures to bolster their attendance and profitability but I don't fault them for that. They got the golden ticket - good for them. There is no point in bitching about it, IMHO.

Reaction Score
Why? It's not like they took our slot. It's not they advocated for turning down the ESPN deal and then used the fact that we didn't take it as justification for leaving. Yes they used "creative" measures to bolster their attendance and profitability but I don't fault them for that. They got the golden ticket - good for them. There is no point in bitching about it, IMHO.
Who's bitching...

Reaction Score
UConn's only chance of getting invited to the B1G is to go on a impressive 3 year winning streak, at least double their fan base, triple their road crowd and make a good statement for acceptance in the AAU. UConn could be located in Times Square and it won't make a damned bit of difference if they can't sell tickets or travel well. That's the ugly truth of it. Connecticut's fan base is small and I believe that hurts their chances more than anything. So.... they need to win a lot of football games and work on improving that fan base. Then and only then will folks consider them for admittance.

Sorry I don't believe this to be true.Maryland 2-10 fans were not any better traveling to away games or at home than UCONN.
Same with Pitt but even less in the stands at home and did not travel hardly at all.
Rutgers.. never won a conference championship (well a co ch ) travel well and very good home fans in fb on occassion.
Cuse won a ch 2003 and conf.chs ,did not travel all that well,had good crowds for certain games.bb and fb.

And that is the ugly truth!

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
I think he mean't Road Dog a BC trolling here and instigating the RU fanbase at an inappropriate time after the Towson loss should expect to be chastised?I thought he was supporting my argument that the thread was pointless and sorta "backing me with an explanation" not yet knowing Road Dog was a troll?Marty Jackson is a level,honest poster whom I can't see stirring the pot! I even thanked him for the post.I think its just a simple misunderstanding?As for the ignore option Marty Jackson simply was suggesting I put him on ignore and not let him get under my skin!

Reaction Score
I agree the perception looks bad on TV and in person when you can see 40,000 bright yellow seats at Heinz Field, but not all of those empty seats are unsold tickets. I attend many of the Steeler games as well, and you will see thousands of empty yellow seats for a sold out playoff game, because the standing room on the rotundas and near the endzones provides a much better view than the upper deck. This is true of many pro stadiums that would prefer you stand with a beer in your hand near some railing, as opposed to sitting in your seat. Traditional bowl or sideline style stadiums that do not have thousands and thousands of standing areas always look more full because people remain in their seats.

I think a stadium of 50/55k would be reasonable for Uconn if you are only looking to expand the Rent. I think the 65k stadium Pitt plays in is just too big for most games on the schedule, as I much prefered when Pitt played at Pitt Stadium (40k) and only played PSU, WVU, and ND at Three River Stadium (60k+). But if you only are going to have one stadium, then larger is better for the few big games you have each year. Uconn's football time in the Big East did not allow it to show its stadium filling potential. With Uconn in the ACC or B1G having BC/Cuse or Rutgers/PSU as rivals and home games against the likes of Clemson/FSU/UNC or Mich,OSU/etc, the 50/55k stadium you proposed would easily sell out for many games. Although, if Uconn football (including the opponents fan base) can capture shares of the NYC market, you may find that a 65/70k seat stadium only selling out 2/3 games a year is desirable.

As for worrying about stadium attendance for FCS opponents, well those are only on local TV so it really doesn't matter. The games worthy of real national TV (ABC, CBS, ESPN) in national time slots (Saturdays at 3:30 or 8) that are actually being watched by most of the nation will easily sell out a larger stadium and create a better atmosphere for the game and on TV.

And I won't knock BC for not traveling to ACC games, as they would have a 1000 mile commute to attend any ACC games prior to this season. I suspect they would travel just fine to see Cuse and Uconn.

That's incorrect. Pitt Stadium had a seating capacity of 55K, and ALL games were played at Pitt stadium regardless of who the opponent was. The only time Pitt played in 3 Rivers was when Pitt Stadium was torn down to build the new BB arena and to wait for Heinz to be completed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Posting this in all CR boards too (sorry for the repetition)...

If last night didn't give Jim Delany a taste of what UCONN can deliver to the B1G, I don't know what will. A competitive game with a rowdy crowd littered with celebrities. An opportunity for northeast B1G alum to easily get to our stadium...I heard lots of "Michigan usually doesn't come out this far east so I HAD to come" talk from Michigan fans last night. The same will surely apply to fanbases like OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc. I like how Warde (or whoever) used the opportunity to make sure all of the former Huskies in attendance were shown on cam and/or interviewed to reinforce the UCONN family concept. You couple all of this with strong TV ratings in a year that UCONN is 0 and friggin' 3 with a lousy coaching staff and you would be blind NOT to see the potential in UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom