Rutgers and Television | The Boneyard

Rutgers and Television

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did someone on the Rutgers staff sleep with a televisions executive's spouse?

While we're playing syracuse on the "U" on 11/5, their game against USF has been banished to ESPN3. Meaning, no over the air television coverage. I looked at their schedule. That will be the 4th time for them, in 9 games, that their product will not be available over the air anywhere. (By way of contrast, I believe that only our game against Fordham was not available on either an ESPN over the air network or SNY.)

I don't fully understand this myself, but if someone really thinks they are a rival to us when other conferences are looking for a partner, ask yourself why they can't even get conference games on SNY in "their" New York market.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What what what? Rutgers doesn't deliver the NYC market?!

Reaction Score
I think it's awesome that you're well-spoken and generally pretty mature, but also hate Rutgers like the rest of us jerkwads.

Well spoken? Thank you.

Mature? My wife and sons beg to differ.

Reaction Score
Their game against Army in Yankee Stadium did get a full page ad in the Connecticut Post.

Reaction Score
Their game against Army in Yankee Stadium did get a full page ad in the Connecticut Post.

You don't "get" a full page ad. You "buy" a full page ad. If they are buying full page ads in Connecticut newspapers 20 days before the game, you can guess there are a large number of unsold seats.

(To be fair to RU, however, this is an Army home game and the marketing of the tickets falls on Army, not RU. As does any credit for the idea.)

Reaction Score
That game will be beamed via satellite to every TV in NY, including the big one in times square. Not only will it be on TV....it will be the ONLY thing on TV. Its NY's team !!!
I feel bad for those who want to watch daytime TV on saturdays. only RU for them.

Reaction Score
Last I heard, those people forever known as "they", they were saying that Boston College was owner of the New England's market in addition to "they" saying that Rutgers brings in NYC too.

When things are driven ultimately by the dollar, television isn't going to keep the things that are going to draw dollars in off the air and Syracuse v. UConn in anything - playing marbles - belongs on the air.

When you take two or three steps further back and look at the whole picture we're part of right now, rather than just the week to week, rather than Univ. of New Jersey - it kind of makes you wonder who on OUR staff may have been bonking a TV executive's wife.

:confused:

Reaction Score
I just signed up for the forum and rarely if ever post on other boards. Just stopped by to wish you good luck again cuse. But in seeing this thread I wanted to just give a quick update:

The latest TV ratings from Friday night's two Big East football games show the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2 having more than twice the viewers in New York City than the Syracuse-West Virginia game on ESPN, a meeting that featured a ranked team (the Mountaineers). Both games started at 8.
Rutgers-Louisville drew a 1.45 share in New York City compared to 0.7 for West Virginia-Syracuse, according to the Nielsen ratings released today.
That rating tied for fourth all-time on ESPN2 for a football game viewed in the New York City area. Rutgers has been involved in all five of the top-rated football games in New York City on ESPN2.
Rutgers has also been part of four of the five highest-rated football games in the New York City area on ESPN.
That list is headed by Rutgers-Louisville in 2006, which drew an 8.1 rating, and includes Rutgers-West Virginia in 2006 (6.04); USC-Ohio State in 2009 (3.74); Rutgers-Cincinnati in 2006 (3.62) and South Florida Rutgers in 2007 (3.35).

Reaction Score
I just signed up for the forum and rarely if ever post on other boards. Just stopped by to wish you good luck again cuse. But in seeing this thread I wanted to just give a quick update:

The latest TV ratings from Friday night's two Big East football games show the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2 having more than twice the viewers in New York City than the Syracuse-West Virginia game on ESPN, a meeting that featured a ranked team (the Mountaineers). Both games started at 8.
Rutgers-Louisville drew a 1.45 share in New York City compared to 0.7 for West Virginia-Syracuse, according to the Nielsen ratings released today.
That rating tied for fourth all-time on ESPN2 for a football game viewed in the New York City area. Rutgers has been involved in all five of the top-rated football games in New York City on ESPN2.
Rutgers has also been part of four of the five highest-rated football games in the New York City area on ESPN.
That list is headed by Rutgers-Louisville in 2006, which drew an 8.1 rating, and includes Rutgers-West Virginia in 2006 (6.04); USC-Ohio State in 2009 (3.74); Rutgers-Cincinnati in 2006 (3.62) and South Florida Rutgers in 2007 (3.35).
Other than ratings from 5 years ago, not really numbers that say "Wow!"

Let's all agree to agree that RU, Cuse and UConn "represents" the NYC market and nobody "delivers" the NYC market.

Reaction Score

I saw that on NJ.com as well. The point of the post was not, despite the first response, meant to "bash" Rutgers. The point was that I really do not understand it. Why can UConn get 11 of 12 games on cable in NYC and RU can only get 8 of 12? What is causing so many of RU's games to be kept off the air?

Reaction Score
I agree...never understood why Rutgers is an attractive team for any conference expansion talk....they are so far back in terms of NYC coverage it is laughable.

Did someone on the Rutgers staff sleep with a televisions executive's spouse?

While we're playing syracuse on the "U" on 11/5, their game against USF has been banished to ESPN3. Meaning, no over the air television coverage. I looked at their schedule. That will be the 4th time for them, in 9 games, that their product will not be available over the air anywhere. (By way of contrast, I believe that only our game against Fordham was not available on either an ESPN over the air network or SNY.)

I don't fully understand this myself, but if someone really thinks they are a rival to us when other conferences are looking for a partner, ask yourself why they can't even get conference games on SNY in "their" New York market.

Reaction Score

Links? Thanks.

Reaction Score
I saw that on NJ.com as well. The point of the post was not, despite the first response, meant to "bash" Rutgers. The point was that I really do not understand it. Why can UConn get 11 of 12 games on cable in NYC and RU can only get 8 of 12? What is causing so many of RU's games to be kept off the air?

I believe the answer to that counselor, would probably be best answered by looking at the combination of the demographics that UConn reaches through SNY, vs. Rutgers. The Hartford, New Haven, Springfield, Rhode Island, Boston reach and reach into upstate new york as well as the NYC demographic.

If the evidence there doesn't support it, then you really do have a good question.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reference, but I was thinking a little deeper, to actually seeing those lists that the author references.

Reaction Score
I believe the answer to that counselor, would probably be best answered by looking at the combination of the demographics that UConn reaches through SNY, vs. Rutgers. The Hartford, New Haven, Springfield, Rhode Island, Boston reach and reach into upstate new york as well as the NYC demographic.

If the evidence there doesn't support it, then you really do have a good question.

You are, somewhat, missing my point. I am not concluding from those numbers that RU games are more valuable broadcast commodities than UConn games. They may or may not be, but you can't determine it by comparing their primary market to our secondary market.

My question remains how in the world can SNY be falling over itself to show our games in NYC, while so many of Rutgers games end up only on the internet.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Maybe SNY saw an opportunity to expand their reach further by going in to New England, as opposed to NJ (already on most, if not all, systems there). Just throwing it out there.

Reaction Score
Maybe it has to do with our big fat contract with them. SNY paid huge money for men's BB and FB.

Part of the deal must be they show most or all our FB games. I doubt RU has such a deal

Reaction Score
You don't "get" a full page ad. You "buy" a full page ad. If they are buying full page ads in Connecticut newspapers 20 days before the game, you can guess there are a large number of unsold seats.

(To be fair to RU, however, this is an Army home game and the marketing of the tickets falls on Army, not RU. As does any credit for the idea.)
I know you "buy" ads. I was just pointing out the attention the game is getting in the Connecticut Post with advertising. Thank you for your correction.

Reaction Score
If Rutgirls was such a hot commodity in NYC and it being so important:

Why is Cuse at UConn on ESPNU and USF at Rutgirls on ESPN3 on Nov 5th? I bet ABC is kicking themselves for picking WVU at Rutgirls this weekend...the map should be pretty small.

BTW the Cuse game blew away Rutgirls nationally on Friday as expected.

Rutgirls fans have to realize that being a national brand and the ability to deliver big BB numbers along with decent FB numbers means more than being 30 miles from Manhattan.

Reaction Score
If Rutgirls was such a hot commodity in NYC and it being so important:

BTW the Cuse game blew away Rutgirls nationally on Friday as expected.

Rutgirls fans have to realize that being a national brand and the ability to deliver big BB numbers along with decent FB numbers means more than being 30 miles from Manhattan.

Mark - Even you have to admit that the only team that people outside of the east coast wanted to see on tv Friday night was WVU. Yes, I'm sure that NJ numbers were very high for Rutgers in the NYC market, but northern NJ is part of the NYC tv market. I'm sure you guys blew 'em away in Buffalo. Maybe you need to put a Statue of Liberty sticker on the helmets, not just in the dome.

Reaction Score
What you guys have failed to realize is that the ESPN3 deal is an ongoing battle between ESPN and Cablevision (which doesn't carry the channel). By putting Rutgers on the 3, it heightens the pressure on Cablevision to carry the station. They are getting pressure from their subscribers whenever Rutgers is on the 3. It really speaks to the contrary of your arguments, Rutgers is on ESPN3 more often because they attract more viewers. This is not my theory but comes from a source in the TV industry. This was done in the past with Rutgers and ESPNU until Cablevision finally came to an agreement to carry the U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom