Rutgers' AD releases statement after WVU news, NO mention of Big East | The Boneyard

Rutgers' AD releases statement after WVU news, NO mention of Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“The landscape in collegiate athletics continues to be a very fluid situation and we continue to be involved in discussions. We remain extremely confident that the result once the movement concludes will be very positive for Rutgers University.

“While there is going to be a period of time between now and then that will cause our constituents and fans a certain level of anxiety, given the unique assets we possess, including our strong and growing academic profile, our AAU status and the location and high level of interest surrounding Rutgers in the nation’s largest television market, we feel confident in the end result for Rutgers.”

_________

Not quite the "rebuilding the Big East" speech Marinatto wanted.

Looks like Rutgers is next.

Reaction Score
Outside of mentioning AAU status...that statement sounds eerily similiar to the statement issued by Pres Herbst after Cuse and Pitt anounced they were leaving the BE for the ACC?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
“The landscape in collegiate athletics continues to be a very fluid situation and we continue to be involved in discussions. We remain extremely confident that the result once the movement concludes will be very positive for Rutgers University.

“While there is going to be a period of time between now and then that will cause our constituents and fans a certain level of anxiety, given the unique assets we possess, including our strong and growing academic profile, our AAU status and the location and high level of interest surrounding Rutgers in the nation’s largest television market, we feel confident in the end result for Rutgers.”

_________

Not quite the "rebuilding the Big East" speech Marinatto wanted.

Looks like Rutgers is next.

No one cares about AAU status except for one entity. By including the AAU status, it is obvious who they are talking about.

I knew Rutgers was being too quiet in all of this. I hope it is a Notre Dame/Rutgers/UConn/Maryland exit for the Big Ten. That would be perfect!

Reaction Score
And like his statements on Sept. 18, once news hit of Pitt and SU.

The only reason to send such a statement is to ensure the two trigger schools, Air Force and Navy, back off.

Outside of mentioning AAU status...that statement sounds eerily similiar to the statement issued by Pres Herbst after Use and Pitt anounced they were leaving the BE for the ACC?

Reaction Score
I won't believe it until it's announced. Rutgers offers very little to the big 1G.

Reaction Score
I was reminded by someone today that Hogan will be in or corner for the B1G. Remember how he signed that letter to Hathaway that he wrote as he was leaving concerening Hathaway's raise and the Board of Trustees "see you in the Big 10 soon". He is also on record as saying that UConn would be a perfect expansion candidate while being interview on a Ill sports radio talk show shortly after arriving in Ill. He was also on re ord in that same statement as saying that Rutgers wasn't as viable as UConn...same with Pitt, Cuse, and ND. I know he only holds 1 vote...but Hogan is a B1 G lifer outside of his short stint at UConn, and remember how Va Tech got into the ACC over BC. I know that is wishful thinking...but right now can't hurt to see how that may pan out.

Reaction Score
The B1G is going to stay where they are for now. No real reason for them to add teams.

The BE leftover teams will wither on the vine. If the B1G wanted Rutgers or UConn they could have had them long ago.

People seem to think that 16 teams somehow maximizes conference money. It does not. No reason for any conference to add teams unless the per team money increases and there are no teams out there besides ND that do that so ACC will stay at 14 and the B1G will hold as well.

Reaction Score
The B1G is going to stay where they are for now. No real reason for them to add teams.

The BE leftover teams will wither on the vine. If the B1G wanted Rutgers or UConn they could have had them long ago.

People seem to think that 16 teams somehow maximizes conference money. It does not. No reason for any conference to add teams unless the per team money increases and there are no teams out there besides ND that do that so ACC will stay at 14 and the B1G will hold as well.

I get it. You become more of an authority be repeating your made up certainties on more than one thread. Why didn't I think of that.

Reaction Score
At a time when the remaining Big East members are supposed to be growing the big east and assuaging potential members, this is really a peculiar statement to make at this particular time.

If Rutgers leaves, the closest conference school will be UofL 700 miles, Cincinatti 768 miles, UCF/USF at 1100 miles, Houston/SMU 1500 miles, Boise St 2500 miles

Reaction Score
You said they are not incremental. I say they are. There is nothing to counter.

I can give you a lot of reasons why they might be. You can give me a lot of reasons why they might not be. I would likely agree with your reasons, but I would have agreed with them as to all the other expansions going on that the networks are happily paying for.

They are incremental when and if ESPN says they are, and unless you are an executive at ESPN who has been in on those meetings, you don't know crap.

Reaction Score
Oh boy......

He's either got something up his sleeve or he is posturing because he has nothing else to lose

Reaction Score
Oh boy......

He's either got something up his sleeve or he is posturing because he has nothing else to lose

Yes, but we all know that if he doesn't have anything up his sleeve he has nothing else to lose.

He doesn't have anything up his sleeve. Notre Dame might go to the Big Ten, and if it does RU might go with them, but he doesn't know that yet.

Reaction Score
No one cares about AAU status except for one entity. By including the AAU status, it is obvious who they are talking about.

I knew Rutgers was being too quiet in all of this. I hope it is a Notre Dame/Rutgers/UConn/Maryland exit for the Big Ten. That would be perfect!

Cut Rutgers some slack. What do they have BESIDES AAU status?

Reaction Score
You haven't? I thought this has been your M.O. for years.
LOL. Take it easy on him. He doesn't see the reason to make fun of someone's name either, except Flipper.

Reaction Score
Typical non-news statement to placate his fanbase. The AAU mention might be a slight reference to the B1G, but it's more likely that it's him just boasting about the qualities of his school, especially since both of his major sports teams aren't exactly something to boast about right now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In other words, #BegHarder.

As opposed to what. Mock everyone begging harder all you like - it's easy to do from behind your keyboard.

The league was dead. Every team that doesn't have an invite to a stable is dead.

Your option has seemed to be band together and invite schools. How do you deal with the fact that no school worth having will join a dead league?

UConn and Rutgers not showing solidarity a was a problem? WVU wouldn't have stayed. Louisville wouldn't have stayed. Cincinnati wouldn't have stayed. South Florida wouldn't have stayed. Every single player in the situation knows that, and wouldn't have given a damn what the Big East said when Pitt and Syracuse bailed.

The second ESPN wanted to kill the Big East they knew they could. Every time I pointed out that the Big East was dead the second they tried to move away from ESPN, you mocked me. I wasn't a UConn fan.. I wasn't a Big East fan... blah blah blah.

This entire outcome could be seen coming from a thousand miles away - mock Herbst... mock Providence... mock Hathaway... pretend that the hybrid basketball conference was a strength.

Take whatever obviously incorrect stance you like. There was no way to save this league the second that the ACC or ESPN made the decision to destroy it. It's not Notre Dame's fault. It's not Providence's fault. In this realm perception is reality - and the perception is that other schools are more attractive than UConn to the people that make the decisions.

Beg harder is pathetic. The problem is it's the only play. Attempt to make yourself attractive enough and hope someone in the big leagues agrees.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In other words, #BegHarder.

I prefer to think of it as confidence in what you bring to the table. Look at the Big East. Busy scouring the earth for any freaking football team them can find, including some at clearly less desirable institutions. In this world, where good schools, with solid academic profiles, in decent markets, and good sports programs are so impossibly hard to find, is it such a stretch to think that other conferences might be doing the same? And that if they are (in a less public and stupid way than the BE is), that there is a demand for such schools?

This is a game and there are almost no valuable pieces left on the board. Each conference is making future poaching harder. Notre Dame is the piece everyone wants most. As soon as it is clear that ND will make a move, B1G and ACC will compete for ND. Somebody will go with ND. Could be Mizzou if B1G, or RU, or UConn. Could be UConn or RU if ACC. Big XII will try to lock up WVU. Once this all happens, even Louisville and Cincy will be likely targets of Big XII. Anything is possible.

I remain convinced that UConn ends up in the ACC or B1G, as I've said all along. Don't underestimate the incremental value of our women's team to the BTN.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oh boy......

If he's got something up his sleeve, he keeps it there. Why risk disturbing the waters if you've got a bird (fish?) in hand?

A truly confident person generally doesn't talk themselves up.

Reaction Score
If he's got something up his sleeve, he keeps it there. Why risk disturbing the waters if you've got a bird (fish?) in hand?

A truly confident person generally doesn't talk themselves up.

I'm a big believer that, in any negotiation, the party making the most noise is the one with the weakest position. The statement gives away a weak position, just like our statements in September.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn to the BIG makes a lot of sense for them if they are ready to pull the trigger on having a presence in the Northeast. I don't think it's going to happen right now though and think we need to be trying to help rebuild the Big East first and foremost at the moment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rutgers and UConn to the BIG makes a lot of sense for them if they are ready to pull the trigger on having a presence in the Northeast. I don't think it's going to happen right now though and think we need to be trying to help rebuild the Big East first and foremost at the moment.

I know you are being serious and I'm not trying to make fun of you. However, that particular sentiment brings to mind that famous Monty Python sketch, the Black Knight. "It's just a flesh wound!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom