Russell to finish eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Russell to finish eligibility

Reaction Score
This is good news for UT and she will help the team. Russell hasn't necessarily lived up to the number 1 ranking coming out of high school she was given, some of which is on her and others on the program. She should have had surgery her first year and redshirted rather than try to play. She made great strides this season and I saw flashes of how good she could be. She has the tools physically but while you can't teach height, you also can't teach speed and the young lady isn't a very fast player.

Warlick is there next year if she wants the job. Everyone who is cheering for UT isn't really bothered by the win-loss record the last two years but rather the way the team was losing, by playing uninspired basketball against mediocre teams who on paper shouldn't even be in the same gym as the LVs.

I've posted personally I hope DD leaves and moves on. She will be a top pick and UT can move on from an experiment that hasn't worked out for whatever reason. Warlick should get one more shot and whether her current staff can do this or not, the coaches should rebuild the offense around the talents of the incoming class and let the veterans adapt.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is good news for UT and she will help the team. Russell hasn't necessarily lived up to the number 1 ranking coming out of high school she was given, some of which is on her and others on the program. She should have had surgery her first year and redshirted rather than try to play. She made great strides this season and I saw flashes of how good she could be. She has the tools physically but while you can't teach height, you also can't teach speed and the young lady isn't a very fast player.

Warlick is there next year if she wants the job. Everyone who is cheering for UT isn't really bothered by the win-loss record the last two years but rather the way the team was losing, by playing uninspired basketball against mediocre teams who on paper shouldn't even be in the same gym as the LVs.

I've posted personally I hope DD leaves and moves on. She will be a top pick and UT can move on from an experiment that hasn't worked out for whatever reason. Warlick should get one more shot and whether her current staff can do this or not, the coaches should rebuild the offense around the talents of the incoming class and let the veterans adapt.

Agree regarding Diamond. I just don't see her ever being the "it" player who can lead Tennessee back to the Final Four. Have her go pro, do her own thing, and then give the incoming freshmen ample minutes to gain some experience and let Russell/Nared shine. Once again, Tennessee appears to have a loaded lineup on paper going into next season:
C-Russell
F-Nared
G-Westbrook (#2 recruit)
G-Middleton
G-Cooper
Bench:
Jackson
Green F/C (no idea what to expect from her
Hayes (#9 recruit, PG)
Davis (#12 recruit, F)
KK (#55 by HG, #11 by Prospects Nation, F/C)

If they remain healthy and play with some intensity, I do think they can be quite good. Whether fans want to admit it or not, Russell and Nared made huge strides in their game this year, and Cooper will theoretically be a stronger player in 2017-18 than she was in 2015-16. Add in a game changer recruit, Middleton as a senior and a slew of highly touted freshmen off the bench and you have potentially a quite solid team. Even with Holly at the helm, I do think the team will be much improved compared to this year's version. I wouldn't be shocked to see this squad ranked in the #8-15 range for much of the year. Problem is, I don't think they'll ever get over the Final Four hump with Holly at the helm.

In regards to Carter--she was a good defensive player but was a shell of the player she was a couple years prior. Her offense regressed as her career went on and watching her play she really struggled in late game/clutch situations. There were a few head-scratching games last year where Tennessee literally snatched a loss from the jaws of victory, and she was usually a main character in that. I don't think anyone saw her as a major contributor this year with even more banged up knees. At best I would've expected her to have a season similar to the one Reynolds had.

Reaction Score
My observation regarding Tennessee is the recruits that commits to Holly don't have a team oriented mindset. They come to save the program, to be the star that brings the LVs back to the top. People that commit to TN have a reason for doing so. Given Holly's record, that reason is not a desire to be developed, but to be given free reign to do their own thing.

One thing that is lacking in the TN optimism is that, as opposed to the past, many other teams are also stronger than they were during Pat's heyday. I see TN somewhere around the #15 - 20 spot next year. We'll see what happens, but it will be a critical year for Warlick. If there is no success, I believe the Oregon conduit will cease and Tennessee's future will be a constant struggle to again become relevant.

Reaction Score
mercedes had a solid year. she has also gained a lot of physical strength. i commend her for wanting to compete for her school. she wants to get better and be a solid part of next year's team. this decision is very refreshing to me. i don't like the trend of WCBB players leaving early for the draft. the college experience is one of a kind.

Reaction Score
I do "get it" - but I think those sorts of expectations on a program that just isn't there (at this moment) are unreasonable.

I would think "strong" performance for a couple of years (and deep run) would indicate the program was on the right track.
I understand that but I'm not a fan who will lower expectations for Pat's program. I see plenty of LV fans who are content with a big win or Elite 8 finishes. That's just not in my DNA. I believe we have lost 25 games in the last calendar year. Trust me, losing like that will only last another year or two at the most. Holly is on the hot seat. It's hard to find a fan in Knoxville who will support her as the coach unless she turns this around ASAP. And remember, Knoxville is not just some town. People take their WCBB very seriously around here.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Mercedes game improved this year. Her numbers were better. I think next year she will be better.

Reaction Score
Mercedes is an OK player..... I just do not see her as anyone who is going to take the LVs anywhere special..... because of her "hustle"..... she seems to have a very low motor in a position populated with higher motor players..... and her hands.... she has weak hands and has trouble possessing the ball....

I also question her pure effort..... how many times have i seen her just watch opposition throw up a shot..... without boxing out at all, to have defenders run past her and scoop offensive rebound.... some of the highlights illustrating this were plain embarrassing....

Reaction Score
I would like to like to congratulate Ms Russell on her decision to use her 5th yr eligibility.
She will continue to improve using Tennessee's fabulous player development program.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
There has been a lot of talk about Warlick being on the chopping block. During one of the tournament games a graphic was posted comparing Summitt's first 5 years to Warlicks. They are dead even in achievements.

Do I think that Warlick will be just as good of coach as Summitt... eh.. I don't know. I think that she needs some time to live up to 9 times champion Summitt
Pat started the program from scratch (just as Geno did), so that's an extremely flawed comparison. Warlick was handed the keys to a Porsche and managed to turn it into a family van. You could give her another century and she'd never win an NCAA title...although maybe a WNIT would be possible.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Right now my starting five are.
Russell, Nared, Westbrook, Cooper, and Middleton. Unless Diamond returns then she starts.

Reaction Score
Russell, Nared, Westbrook, Cooper, and Middleton. Unless Diamond returns then she starts.
huge alexa fan but there's no way she starts next year. her minutes will be very limited unless she proves she can consistently hit a 3 point shot. both jackson and alexa played more than they normally would on a LV team due to the lack of depth and guards. that being said, i would LOVE to be proved wrong. she's a tough little scrappy player.

Reaction Score
I understand that but I'm not a fan who will lower expectations for Pat's program. I see plenty of LV fans who are content with a big win or Elite 8 finishes. That's just not in my DNA. I believe we have lost 25 games in the last calendar year. Trust me, losing like that will only last another year or two at the most. Holly is on the hot seat. It's hard to find a fan in Knoxville who will support her as the coach unless she turns this around ASAP. And remember, Knoxville is not just some town. People take their WCBB very seriously around here.
Is there a booster in Knoxville who will step up and buy out her contract?

Reaction Score

I agree with LV9 Saw Middleton a lot this year.... and she did little to prove herself.... though i think she was misused by Holly a bit.... Nared I think is great. Russell, as previously said, will have to get her motor going if LVs are to compete at highest level..... but she will be in lineup by default.... Cooper it will be good to have her back.... and Westbrook, well, I never trust freshmen.... but maybe she can make early mark as Slocum did this year at MD

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
put me in the camp that says any year without a FF is a bust. elite 8's mean nothing.
I too color the view your fan base is expects as delusional now. The team hasn't made a FF in 10 years. In the last 20 years you made 8. Realistically 1 every 3/4 years would be great. I get that you are getting talent. I also get that even if you get a new coach you won't have 26 losses over a two year period. Heck, just look at SC, ND and Baylor as examples you can't expect FF every year and their programs are in much better shape than yours.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now hopefully Diamond DeShields will return also.

I suspect what anyone else does makes no dent in her analysis. A bunch of talented freshman and an under performing center returning does not mean much in the equation, which is at this point who is coming out this year and who is coming out next. The pro scouts know what she is; time for her to leave.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
huge alexa fan but there's no way she starts next year. her minutes will be very limited unless she proves she can consistently hit a 3 point shot. both jackson and alexa played more than they normally would on a LV team due to the lack of depth and guards. that being said, i would LOVE to be proved wrong. she's a tough little scrappy player.
It's a tough call. I think Hayes will start behind Cooper. Middleton is a senior. Who ever does get that starting spot. It will be interesting to see.

Reaction Score
IMO i do not understand why any player or recruit would want to go to Tennessee. From afar, it looks like a train wreck. If I was a player, the 2 most important objectives would be:

1) Go to a program that would assist me in becoming the best version of me, on & off the court.
2) Compete for National Championships every year.
(Holly Warlick can't get out of her own way - atrocious at situational basketball)

Tennessee would NOT be able to satisfy either goal. In some instances, I've seen players regress (DD).
So, could someone enlighten me. Cuz I'm obviously missing something.

Why would anyone want to go there?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO i do not understand why any player or recruit would want to go to Tennessee. From afar, it looks like a train wreck. If I was a player, the 2 most important objectives would be:

1) Go to a program that would assist me in becoming the best version of me, on & off the court.
2) Compete for National Championships every year.
(Holly Warlick can't get out of her own way - atrocious at situational basketball)
Tennessee would NOT be able to satisfy either goal. In some instances, I've seen players regress (DD).
So, could someone enlighten me. Cuz I'm obviously missing something.
Why would anyone want to go there?
Your goals 1&2 are consistent with being a UCONN fan and both are foreign to TN lately.
Playing time & the ability to start right away are much more attainable goals for many HS kids- easier to achieve at TN.
Some kids have already convinced themselves that orange is not a bad look.

Reaction Score
Good news indeed. And if DD decides to stay also, really good news for their competitors!
OMG you almost made me spit out my coffee... too funny, thanks for that :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom