Rupp's Rafters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rupp's Rafters

Reaction Score
Obviously most fan forums will be biased towards their team......at the expense of discrediting other teams, but after scanning Rupp Rafters a bit, they're definitely at another level.

Synopsis:
  • Hurley is a loser/crazy for not taking the Lakers position.
  • Andrea makes all the decisions.
  • We have had the greatest of luck in our championships.
  • We will get our comeuppance the next couple of years as our back to back championships were an aberration.
  • Hurley will regress back to an average coach.

Cant we just all get along :)
Syracuse still thinks we are lucky and get all the breaks. And that Hurley won’t be much if Luke and Kimani aren’t with him.

Reaction Score
I just cruised over to the UK forum and guess what?

There were some who called out his character, some who said he'd never make it in the NBA anyway, some who said we got lucky the past 2 years.

But....

There were a good number of posters who said he made the right move and that he's a great coach and we'll have a kick ass team.

I've always thought UK fans were very knowledgeable and have always enjoyed talking hoops with them. We need them to be great to keep college basketball an engaging product and I think Pope is the guy to keep that tradition going.

Looks like the Lakers fans are the ones who are gonna take this angst to the grave. Oh well.
i practically lived in Kentucky for two or three years . We had 150 employees
149 UK fans 1 Louisville fan .
135- 140 of them knew next to nothing about basketball But that group that meet in the break room where as knowledgable as any fan base . I was honored to be excepted into that group. In fact this was a time when UConn was considering a step up to BCS football and I was skeptical. They told me it was a no brainer and like getting a gift as even back then Kentucky made more money in football than basketball. I was kind of surprised.

Reaction Score
Syracuse still thinks we are lucky and get all the breaks. And that Hurley won’t be much if Luke and Kimani aren’t with him.
I don’t know about “won’t be much” but they are both HUGE pieces to the success of the last couple years. But you could also argue it was Hurleys vision to bring them both in that created the success. Chicken or egg.

Reaction Score
This may be true EXCEPT FOR the Inside Carolina (UNC) board. Biggest group of morons and cretins on the planet earth. It's hard to know how many "fans" on that board actually went to UNC, allegedly one of the best public universities in the country (a "public Ivy", as they like to say), but if they did go to Carolina, I've lost ALL respect for that institution. It's actually entertaining, at times, to peruse that board (especially after a UNC loss) to see how stupid they can be and how quickly they throw their players and coaches under the bus for all of their failings. And they have a psychotic hatred of Duke (or "Dook", as they like to spell it, as if that is a huge insult to Duke), mostly because none of them could ever get into Duke.
Duck Fuke.

Reaction Score
UConn grad (MPA, 1995) and Kentucky grad (PhD, 2009). UConn my firsr love and my loyalty to. Anyway, Kentucky fans do know basketball, no question about it. They did live the Hurley NBA saga with Pitino circa 1996. So this is not new for them. The outcome yes, because Rick left for the Celtics.

As far as I am concerned, thank you Dan Hurley. If you leave for the NBA in a few years, no hard feelings. Forever grateful. As a international student from Mexico, in 1995 had to decide whether to attend UConn or UK. Besides the academic criteria, I wanted an American university that was a powerhouse basketball program or an up and coming. Chose UConn. Do you guys think I regret it?

Best from Isla Mujeres, México. Love my Huskies
Like Indiana Jones, you chose wisely. :)

Reaction Score
This may be true EXCEPT FOR the Inside Carolina (UNC) board. Biggest group of morons and cretins on the planet earth. It's hard to know how many "fans" on that board actually went to UNC, allegedly one of the best public universities in the country (a "public Ivy", as they like to say), but if they did go to Carolina, I've lost ALL respect for that institution. It's actually entertaining, at times, to peruse that board (especially after a UNC loss) to see how stupid they can be and how quickly they throw their players and coaches under the bus for all of their failings. And they have a psychotic hatred of Duke (or "Dook", as they like to spell it, as if that is a huge insult to Duke), mostly because none of them could ever get into Duke.
Academic trash talk is lamer than lame

Reaction Score
Obviously most fan forums will be biased towards their team......at the expense of discrediting other teams, but after scanning Rupp Rafters a bit, they're definitely at another level.

Synopsis:
  • Hurley is a loser/crazy for not taking the Lakers position.
  • Andrea makes all the decisions.
  • We have had the greatest of luck in our championships.
  • We will get our comeuppance the next couple of years as our back to back championships were an aberration.
  • Hurley will regress back to an average coach.

Cant we just all get along :)

Ohhh, I just love to hear them idiot Kentucky Wildcat fans who had to put up with Calipari for the last 15 years leaving them at the alter so many times due to his ridiculously poor in-game coaching while only winning 1 title talking crap about us. And two of those times when they got ohhhh, so close it was us who smacked them upside the head in the '11 and '14 Final Fours. We won 4 titles during Calipari's tenure there to his 1. Soooooo sweet!

At least the Lakers and their fans can say that Hurley actually gave their offer serious consideration. But Kentucky? He dismissed you losers and your school's offer out of hand as if he was brushing lint off his championship jacket at the post Title game interview. Good luck with Mark Pope there while Calipari comes back to haunt you at least twice a year from freaking Arkansas! Wildcat fans' worst nightmare...

And as for the Syracuse fans.... LOLOLOLOL. We are so far ahead, and have left them so far in the dust that they are no longer worthy of even being in the conversation.

All I have to say to all of them losers.....................................

Run it back for the Threepeat BABY!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Rutgers has an early pick in the upcoming NBA draft. If it's a top five they have a legitimate shot at landing DC.
That was an astoundingly "Rutgers" post. Man, that fan never disappoints.

Reaction Score
Just one of the brilliant posts from the minds of Kentucky fans on Rupp Rafters. These clowns are doing everything they can to confirm the "dumb southerner" stereotype.

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 12.09.00 AM Large.jpeg

Reaction Score
So if Hurley wasn't the main reason for the two championships, what was? Also weird that Kentucky would desperately try to hire the guy not responsible for the two championships. The Lakers too. But, I'm sure Joe Q. Randomfan knows better. There's some serious cope in those posts, and they are absolutely terrified of UConn continuing to dominate the sport because no matter what curveballs are thrown UConn's way, the teams just continue to win.

Reaction Score
It’s a good feeling that the most prestigious levels of basketball in the country are trying really hard to take our coach. And an even better feeling that he’s choosing to stay here

Reaction Score
The Rupp Rafters group are just a bunch of whiney beotches that are still angry that DH shunned their “storied program” in about 2 minutes.
All those asses keep saying is DH is crazy for passing up the UK and Laker money yet they are all still whining that all Squid did was take money.

THEY DO NOT WANT TO ADMIT UCONN IS THEE PROGRAM OF THE 21st CENTURY

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I just cruised over to the UK forum and guess what?

There were some who called out his character, some who said he'd never make it in the NBA anyway, some who said we got lucky the past 2 years.

But....

There were a good number of posters who said he made the right move and that he's a great coach and we'll have a kick ass team.

I've always thought UK fans were very knowledgeable and have always enjoyed talking hoops with them. We need them to be great to keep college basketball an engaging product and I think Pope is the guy to keep that tradition going.

Looks like the Lakers fans are the ones who are gonna take this angst to the grave. Oh well.
Well at least Lakers fans have Jeannie’s photos to fall back on

Reaction Score
So if Hurley wasn't the main reason for the two championships, what was? Also weird that Kentucky would desperately try to hire the guy not responsible for the two championships. The Lakers too. But, I'm sure Joe Q. Randomfan knows better. There's some serious cope in those posts, and they are absolutely terrified of UConn continuing to dominate the sport because no matter what curveballs are thrown UConn's way, the teams just continue to win.
Hurley has a great staff , I would think the best ever at UConn, But a college head coach is as much a manager as they are a coach . Getting the best people around you is a key managerial skill. The other important thing is he understands their value and listens to them . Luke was with him at Wagner and Tom at RI so that continuity and loyalty are very special
Recruiting has been very good but the portal age allows you recruiting mistakes unlike the past.
it’s use by this group has been absolutely huge the last two years .
Overlooked is a comment I’ve made before regarding the transfer rules although it’s important who you bring in I believe it’s more important to be able to retain a nucleus and that retention has been critical to our success. I cant remember loosing a critical kid and that’s remarkable.
( Having a local kid grow to be not only 7’2 but a legitimate basketball player didn’t hurt .)
Is he a brilliant basketball mind in the mold of JC , or Bobby Knight i don’t think so that type of genius is rare.
He is more in the mold of a Dean Smith or even Adolf Rupp but like anything else there is more than one road to greatness. .

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Syracuse still can't get over us being "lucky"

thinking about this a bit more-
I've always (begrudgingly) conceded that their 99 and 04 'ships are legit. But then beginning with the draw/seed they got in '11 and how the sea parted for them up through this - just unbelievably good fortune (the gamble on Hurley paying off, rescued by the new BE, having somewhat unknown ?? transfers be huge contributors/stars, etc...)
I thought this current title would finally put this stupidity to rest. It's amazing that a fanbase with a lone title on a 1-year rent-a-ballhog continues to craft this idea that UConn is "lucky"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I thought this current title would finally put this stupidity to rest. It's amazing that a fanbase with a lone title on a 1-year rent-a-ballhog continues to craft this idea that UConn is "lucky"
I would ask them "what's luckier than avoiding an opponent you couldn't beat solely because a deflected layup got stuck between the rim and backboard"?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I would ask them "what's luckier than avoiding an opponent you couldn't beat solely because a deflected layup got stuck between the rim and backboard"?

I could jab back at that with myriad things, but i avoid it, as they're a bunch of pansies, and would ban me. No big loss, but let them live in their Canadian igloos.

Reaction Score

It’s almost funnier to just play along and agree with it. UConn basketball has just been frolicking in the wind for the last 13 years and happened to stumble into 4 extra championships while Syracuse, a REAL program, only has 1 in 2003

Reaction Score
"We need them to be great to keep college basketball an engaging product and I think Pope is the guy to keep that tradition going."

No. They can be overrated and underperform forever as far as I'm concerned.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All fan bases have knowledgeable fans (and those who have experienced success tend to have more of these) and all fan bases have moronic parts of their fan base (and again, those who have experienced success tend to have more of these).

As Kentucky has an exceptionally large fan base, it stands to reason that they will have more fans who are knowledgeable than most other fan bases but also more fans who are morons than other fan bases.
Kind of like life in general?

Reaction Score
Kind of like life in general?
There is always a little luck involved in success both good and bad .
Phil Rizzuto use to call them “the breaks “
In college basketball the biggest break is having everyone healthy at the right time
Yes successful programs seem to get a few more , because those are remembered the bad forgotten . The 1949-50-51-52-53 Yankees got some breaks along the way Im sure
But they probably got also some bad ones they overcame
All great teams / programs take advantage of the good and minimize the bad . and that’s the difference between success and failure
You can say we’ve been. had a little luck winning 6 NC since 1999 but the bottom line is we have simply been great .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom