Running Up The Score | The Boneyard

Running Up The Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gotta believe every AAC team will go full throttle this season against Huskies.

Anything conference teams can do to make UConn look weak is going to happen.

None of this running out the clock in the fourth quarter.

RE better have a team ready to go for 70 minutes every game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you think the clock at The Rent runs true this season you are crazy. To help out, our home clock will run a game second every .7 seconds!

Yeah I made this joke last year.

Reaction Score
LOL - if anything they view us as too weak to hang around. Zero motivation for the opposing teams at all.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I doubt the other teams are going to run up the score. They know that the UConn players and coaches had nothing to do with the decision to leave the conference.

You'd be surprised. When Houston and Texas were in the old SWC, during the Jack Pardee coaching era at UH, Pardee was using the Run & Shoot offense, the brain child of Mouse Davis and June Jones. No tight ends and only a single running back on offense are the way you run it. Houston went up to Austin one year and beat Texas 66-15. Texas never forgot about it.

Several years later after the Cougars and Longhorns had parted ways when the SWC broke up in 1994, they had a home and home series in the early 2000's. The year Texas came to Houston they were pissed because Houston had quit playing their home games in the Astrodome and had returned to their old stadium on campus called Robertson Stadium. It had been refurbished but still only seated about 28,000. Texas demanded that additional seating be erected in the end zone to accommodate more of their fans. Houston did it, but it probably only added another 2-3,000. Texas rolled up a big score of something like 49-12. After the game the Texas coach was quoted as saying they deliberately ran up the score because of the game in Austin back in 1988, and because they had to play in this crappy little stadium instead of the Astrodome.

For whatever reason, teams carry these grudges around with them for a long time, especially when they involve former conference rivals. As far as our AAC opponents are concerned this coming season, we are going to be playing them as former conference rivals, because we announced we're leaving the conference. Be prepared for some epic beatdowns in football and basketball. Geno's team will have to make up for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You'd be surprised. When Houston and Texas were in the old SWC, during the Jack Pardee coaching era at UH, Pardee was using the Run & Shoot offense, the brain child of Mouse Davis and June Jones. No tight ends and only a single running back on offense are the way you run it. Houston went up to Austin one year and beat Texas 66-15. Texas never forgot about it.

Several years later after the Cougars and Longhorns had parted ways when the SWC broke up in 1994, they had a home and home series in the early 2000's. The year Texas came to Houston they were pissed because Houston had quit playing their home games in the Astrodome and had returned to their old stadium on campus called Robertson Stadium. It had been refurbished but still only seated about 28,000. Texas demanded that additional seating be erected in the end zone to accommodate more of their fans. Houston did it, but it probably only added another 2-3,000. Texas rolled up a big score of something like 49-12. After the game the Texas coach was quoted as saying they deliberately ran up the score because of the game in Austin back in 1988, and because they had to play in this crappy little stadium instead of the Astrodome.

For whatever reason, teams carry these grudges around with them for a long time, especially when they involve former conference rivals. As far as our AAC opponents are concerned this coming season, we are going to be playing them as former conference rivals, because we announced we're leaving the conference. Be prepared for some epic beatdowns in football and basketball. Geno's team will have to make up for them.
Good story, but we're on 2019 now. So much has changed since those days you mentioned. After the past 3 seasons, we're already in a position where NOBODY respects us. So, if a HC gets his team up to run up the score on us considering how inept we've already been as of late because we're leaving, then this message may be More So sent to some of the talkers on this board and other social media outlets that always seem to make comments about how our program is so much better than the ones that have been kicking our a** on the grid iron and hardwood (MBB) as of late.
With that said, I personally feel that Edsall and his staff will/should have this team performing much much better this season. He'll have the team focused. With the fundamentals tightened up on D we should be a lot happier as fans (the non talking ones at least)

Reaction Score

We also beat SMU 95-21 and Tulsa 100-6.

Reaction Score
Maybe USF. They're probably pissed the game was so close last year. And they went on a six game losing streak afterwards.

Reaction Score
I don't expect any blatant running up of the score this fall. To begin with, name me the "classy" AAC head coaches who would countenance that and, second, why would a coach risk an injury to his first and second team players truing to run up the score on a pissed off UConn team? Can't see it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's not like the football team is leaving for a better conference, causing resentment. Embarrassing us on the field has no effect.

Reaction Score
The end score, ultimately, is up to UConn to control.

If a team is up and playing their bench, you can't expect their kids to lie down, or even to not continue to practice their offense so that the 3rd stringers get some game experience.

Bobby Bowden recounts that when he was a young coach he complained after the game about the score...he said the other coach said.."Coach, I believe that holding the score down is your job, not mine."

There won't be antagonistic attempts by opponents to keep in the first string and blow it out, I don't think.......it would be counterproductive and risks injuries to starters.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
I doubt they care that much. We are doing what is best for us and other schools obviously realize that. It's nothing personal, we never knocked the AAC. Go look at Wichita State comments and stop making up a story.

Reaction Score
It's not like the football team is leaving for a better conference, causing resentment. Embarrassing us on the field has no effect.
We have always pined to eventually be somewhere else, rightly so because we aren’t a great institutional fit. This comes across as arrogant to many. They are going to want to try to pound us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A) I don't think the AAC schools care that much that we are leaving.

B) A mid-major coach should know that losing a starter to injury when he is up 4 TD's in the second half could end his career. If he doesn't know that, then he shouldn't be coaching.

C) If the second and third unit is scoring touchdowns, then that is on UConn.

Reaction Score

Hard to motivate kids to beat up someone you beat up so badly the previous year that an FBS futility record was set. I think we will run more, and hopefully be successful with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For whatever reason, teams carry these grudges around with them for a long time, especially when they involve former conference rivals. As far as our AAC opponents are concerned this coming season, we are going to be playing them as former conference rivals, because we announced we're leaving the conference. Be prepared for some epic beatdowns in football and basketball.
And coaches will use whatever you give them to motivate their team. AAC teams will be looking to hang a lot of points on us and we will be looking to make a statement before we go. None of that is a bad thing.

Reaction Score
Gotta believe every AAC team will go full throttle this season against Huskies.
Anything conference teams can do to make UConn look weak is going to happen.

This is not an attack on the OP's predication just an opinion on how sad this thread is with 59 days to our opener. With all the problems the football program is facing one would think how much opponents will or possibly be able to run up the score is the least of them. That and the presumption we are going to lose every AAC game, the question being by how much? Ahh the power of negativity.....
Any team that does not go full throttle vs another is not very well coached and asking for injuries. Any team that does not try to make an opponent look weak is not very well coached.

I'll not make any wild predictions, nor will I post the stats from last year. This I was going to do but it would simply be more negativity. Every team we play if prepared properly will be up for a beat down. We have to hope in year three Randy has a little better product to work with and they can not only prevent embarrassing loses but come up with some surprising victories.
Just me but I don't care about the score, just if it is a W or a L, margin not something to fear.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom