Running back Depth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Running back Depth

Reaction Score
Where we getting a B+ level running back?

I'd say the B- Line comment is more head scratching at this juncture. You got Van Demark who you can hang your hat on as a legit FBS T, but the rest of the group is made up mostly of unproven Jucos and young guys. If they can come together as a cohesive unit I will be impressed with the job Giufre is doing.

Reaction Score
To my eye Mensah is a very good back. Good vision good speed last year he added the ability to catch, good power. Probably the best back in the post Todman era when we had a sting of excellent runners. Dixon, Brown obviously, but Brockington was solid. Pre-injury Terry Caulley was remarkable. Mensah is a worthy successor to that line.

Basically I defer to Edsall in finding running backs.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if CJ Holmes would be eligible right away? Anyway, I’d play Carter for 4 games & Houston for 4 games. They get to redshirt.

Reaction Score
Dixon was not a burner. Mensah IMO has Dixon speed and a similar game. What Mensah did not get was a red-shirt year.
No he didn't but he did manage to become noticeably bigger by his sophmore spring game which probably allowed him to be used 225 caries a season. I think Edsall likes his work ethic and Mensah has given the program a steady and reliable 4.5ypc back. I don't seem to recall fumbling issues?

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I also don't see Donald Brown or Andre Dixon speed or ability in Nate Carter.

Maybe, maybe not. Its important to note that the kid enrolled when he just turned 17, he's stupid young for his age. The videos we are all watching are from when he was like 15.

I think he looks good. Good speed, great agility, good vision. Who knows but he has some traits.

Reaction Score
Dixon was a very physical runner.

At one point this program had Brown, Dixon, Frey and Todman on the roster. They moved future NFL journeyman Reggie McClain from RB to DB During that time as well.

Fwiw, I think Mensah is the best back we’ve had in the program since Todman.

Reaction Score
that suggests we continue to struggle moving the ball thru the air, don’t continue to use jet sweeps, no RPO, etc. in other words, we need HC to have more confidence in QB more than we need a 4th RB option.

What's new? UConn without a passing game. Same ole, same ole. Weak sauce.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dixon was not a burner. Mensah IMO has Dixon speed and a similar game. What Mensah did not get was a red-shirt year.
I'm also not sure the Mensah is a between the tackles running back. If we had more options, I think he may have had a better career, at least on a yards per carry basis.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To me, the O line has been poor on running plays- short yardage especially. I attribute our yardage to teams attacking the pass since we were behind so often. Mensah could have been Donald Brown and Andre Dixon, the sledding would have been tough. I hope/pray our new O line is better at the point of attack.

Reaction Score
What's new? UConn without a passing game. Same ole, same ole. Weak sauce.
You really ought to look at the games. We threw the ball often and at times well. We had 2 true frosh receivers who had over 20 catches each. They each had long catches too. Yes the true frosh qb had a couple Of games where he was over matched. And against UMass they couldn’t stop our run game. But you are in the camp that would have preferred we throw 50 times and lose rather than run 35 and win.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to judge the offense....given the state of the D that didn't give the offense the ball.

But Rushing Offense...#108

Passing Competion %....#75

and the killer:

Third down conversion %....#127

Reaction Score
Its probably why the interior OLinemen left with eligibility on the table. Had hoped Holmes stsyed. Unhappiness by coach and players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You really ought to look at the games. We threw the ball often and at times well. We had 2 true frosh receivers who had over 20 catches each. They each had long catches too. Yes the true frosh qb had a couple Of games where he was over matched. And against UMass they couldn’t stop our run game. But you are in the camp that would have preferred we throw 50 times and lose rather than run 35 and win.

UConn ain't winning when they run either. Need to develop an effective modern offense. Easier to do with an effective QB and 2 or 3 WRs, TEs and RBs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom