Run A Movie Production (R.A.M.P.) Draft Game | The Boneyard

Run A Movie Production (R.A.M.P.) Draft Game

Reaction Score
Original inspiration for this game here.

Goal of the Game:

The goal in R.A.M.P. is to create the movie that most BoneYarders will want to go to. You'll do this by drafting the cast and crew of your movie, as well as a few other elements.

The type of movie you will be producing is a summer blockbuster that will tie together two disparate franchises, like Alien vs. Predator or Freddy vs. Jason. The franchises don't need to be existing movie franchises: you can pick from TV shows, video games, books, comics, etc. What the movie itself will be about is completely up to you: it can be a big sci-fi epic, an action movie, a buddy-cop comedy, a road trip movie, anything that generally is considered a summer blockbuster.

There will be 11 "positions" you will need to fill:

[_] Franchise #1
[_] Franchise #2
[_] Director
[_] Actor #1
[_] Actor #2
[_] Actor #3
[_] Sup. Actor #1
[_] Sup. Actor #2
[_] Screenwriter
[_] Flex position (Hit Song OR "Punch-up" Screenwriter)
[_] Score / Composer

Details on each position are below.

------------------------

Playing the Game / Drafting Your Positions

As soon as we have a full roster of participants (I'm hoping for 8 or 16) I'll start a draft thread with a random draft order. From there we will run through the picks until everyone has a complete cast and crew.
Fishy picks Woody Allen

Once you have posted your pick, it is yours. If someone else has posted it before you, then you will need to re-pick. Don't edit your post, just post a new one. Edited posts will be disqualified.

Keep in mind that other people playing may want to use some of the same actors, directors, and franchises as you so you will need to be flexible. You will need to weigh what is most important in your film. If you want to make Batman vs. Qui Gon Jim, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Christian Bale and Liam Neeson, you'll need to weigh what is the most important to you. Is it the director? Is it Batman? etc. Prioritize wisely, as you can pick whichever aspect of the cast and crew you want to at any time. Once you've selected that person or franchise they are yours and yours alone (the only exception there I'm thinking is using someone else's main actor in a supporting role).

------------------------

Details/Rules on Each Position

Franchise 1 / Franchise 2: The franchises can be any existing fictional IP: past or future announced movies, TV shows, video games, comic books, children's toys, etc. They just cannot involve and real, living people. Some overlaps are OK. If someone picks "X-Men" you can still pick "Wolverine" or "Magneto" but if someone picks "Batman" you can't pick "Bruce Wayne".

The Director: Pick anyone, living or dead, that has ever directed a movie.

Actors & Actresses (Main): You'll pick three people, male or female. They can be dead or alive but they must've actually acted in several films and be known primarily as actors. These are your main characters and can be good, bad, or a mix of both. If your "good" or "bad" guys are CGI, they can be voices, or they can be real people in the movie. Completely up to you.

Actors & Actresses (Supporting): You'll pick two other people who will play small supporting roles. They will not be on screen most of the time. If someone else has picked an actor as a Main character, you can still pick them up as a Supporting character: they won't be in most scenes so they have time to fill in.

Screenwriter: The person who writes your script. This can be the same person as your director, but you need to make separate picks for this. It is possible that someone may have picked your director before you.

Flex position (Hit Song over credits OR "Punch-up" Screenwriter): You get a band to sing a new song for the movie over the credits. This can be any band that has ever recorded and released anything. The video will get wide airplay, etc. OR, if you wish, you can hire a screenwriter to "punch-up" certain aspects of the film. The script will not be theirs, but they will have some added dialogue here and there (think Quentin Tarantino in Crimson Tide. You can pick someone who has already been picked as the main Screenwriter, since this is just something they do in a few days.

Which of the two you pick is up to you.

Original Score: This can be anyone who has composed an original score before, for film, TV, or games.

------------------------

Setting Up / Marketing Your Movie:

Once all your picks are done, you need to make a brief synopsis of what your movie is about. Fill in any gaps we don't know about: what is the plot about? Who is doing the digital effects (if any)? What weekend is it coming out? Will it be in 3D, or IMAX? Is it live-action, animated, or shadow-puppet? Feel free to give any details that don't interfere with the specific positions picked above. That is, all other actors in your film are unknowns, and you don't get to pick the other bands on your movies soundtrack.

If you have some talent with photoshop or whatever, feel free to mock up a one sheet to really give it some visual punch!

------------------------

The Tournament

Once we are done drafting, I'll start a sneak preview thread where everyone can post their synopses and one sheets. After that I'll make a bracket with randomly drawn pairings and we'll have some poll threads to vote on the best ideas.

So if anyone is interested reply here and lets get this thing going!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Few BYers would go to see the movie I want to make because it would take literacy to understand.

Is the "draft" really necessary? Why not just have people write their pitch and directors/actors?

Reaction Score
Few BYers would go to see the movie I want to make because it would take literacy to understand.

Is the "draft" really necessary? Why not just have people write their pitch and directors/actors?

And I urge you to try and make that movie. It’s the fun of the game to see what kind of concoction might be popular once it comes to tourney time. And that holds whether you’re intent on making a serious, foreign language, period piece or a screwball, raunchy comedy.

As for the draft, I don’t know if you do fantasy sports at all, but that’s usually one of the highlights of the season for me. While there likely wouldn’t be too much overlap, it’s still fun wondering if you’ll get the people you had your heart set on, and then having to adjust on the fly.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

You’re right I don’t want to see some esoteric pablum think piece about a love tryst between two scarf bearing hipster baristas.

Snoozers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You’re right I don’t want to see some esoteric pablum think piece about a love tryst between two scarf bearing hipster baristas.

Snoozers.

Yeah, but the plot dynamic is that it's told in both real time and flashbacks with the main barista characters constantly changing their gender identity in the moment. So it gets kinky. There's even S&M involving steam wands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom