Rumors Swirl About VCU Joining the Big East | The Boneyard

Rumors Swirl About VCU Joining the Big East

sun

Reaction Score
Rumors continue to swirl about Richmond's Virginia Commonwealth University Rams being a perfect fit with the Big East to replace UConn.

New language in coach Odom’s new contract discusses the potential for a jump to a conference resulting in an “increase of overall funds.” & a commitment to review his salary.
VCU is currently in the A-10 Conference & doesn't have a football program.
It's a public university with 28,000 students.
The possibility of VCU joining the Big East isn't a new rumor but has been going on for months.

July 21, 2023

Will VCU jump to another conference? Ryan Odom's contract suggests a move could be possible.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I didn't read the article as saying that VCU would necessarily come into the Big East "to replace UConn". The only reference to UConn that I saw said that the conference is currently led by UConn, which it described as the national champions (obviously referring to MCBB), but that there are rumors that UConn might leave to join the Big 12.

I would be more interested in a scenario where VCU joins the Big East without UConn leaving.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh good, another hit to the conference power ranking

0D3ACC21-C340-4D39-8023-1A016D52ECEA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Article also notes St Louis and Dayton as other possibilities to join Big East. So if UConn stays put, Big East could have 12-14 teams when all is said and done if there is any merit to these possibilities.

sun

Reaction Score
I didn't read the article as saying that VCU would necessarily come into the Big East "to replace UConn". The only reference to UConn that I saw said that the conference is currently led by UConn, which it described as the national champions (obviously referring to MCBB), but that there are rumors that UConn might leave to join the Big 12.

I would be more interested in a scenario where VCU joins the Big East without UConn leaving.
A Fansided article from 6/2/23 is all about which teams might join the Big East if UConn moves to the Big 12.
The schools mentioned are: Dayton, Florida Atlantic, Memphis, St. Louis, VCU, Wichita State.
The original article I posted offers some proof of the possibility by examining the new language of the VCU contract.

Big East Basketball: 6 potential options to replace UConn if they leave for Big 12

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Rumors continue to swirl about Richmond's Virginia Commonwealth University Rams being a perfect fit with the Big East to replace UConn.

New language in coach Odom’s new contract discusses the potential for a jump to a conference resulting in an “increase of overall funds.” & a commitment to review his salary.
VCU is currently in the A-10 Conference & doesn't have a football program.
It's a public university with 28,000 students.
The possibility of VCU joining the Big East isn't a new rumor but has been going on for months.

July 21, 2023

Will VCU jump to another conference? Ryan Odom's contract suggests a move could be possible.

If the first sentence were removed, this would be an accurate summary of the cited article. That article does not suggest or imply that a potential move to the Big East by VCU would be
“…to replace UConn.”. Though some folks choose to do it, The Boneyard does not award extra points or merit badges for pot stirring.

“The original article I posted offers some proof of the possibility by examining the new language of the VCU contract.”

It offers proof that VCU is cognizant of the possibility of a conference move. That is a far cry from any assumption that such a move would entail replacing UConn. It also does not indicate any interest by the Big East conference in adding VCU.

Those who jump to unsubstantiated conclusions might consider wearing knee pads and gloves.

IMG_1284.jpeg

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
If the first sentence were removed, this would be an accurate summary of the cited article. That article does not suggest or imply that a potential move to the Big East by VCU would be
“…to replace UConn.”. Though some folks choose to do it, The Boneyard does not award extra points or merit badges for pot stirring.

“The original article I posted offers some proof of the possibility by examining the new language of the VCU contract.”

It offers proof that VCU is cognizant of the possibility of a conference move. That is a far cry from any assumption that such a move would entail replacing UConn. It also does not indicate any interest by the Big East conference in adding VCU.

Those who jump to unsubstantiated conclusions might consider wearing knee pads and gloves.
It's only a rumor & doesn't need to be substantiated.
I didn't stir the pot & the 2nd article that I posted is only one of others about VCU being a target for Big East expansion.
There's always going to be strategizing behind the scenes that won't be made public.
Here is what the BE Commisioner said about VCU back in Nov., 2021.

11/2021
"Loyola, Saint Louis, Dayton, and VCU were the four most likely candidates that came up when Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told The Athletic that she would be asking her schools’ presidents to at least think about the possibility of expansion."

Was she also stirring the pot?
Obviously rumors about Big East expansion can fluctuate depending on whether UConn joins the Big 12 or not.
Do you really think that the Big East Presidents aren't reading the news?
The Big East will need to make up for the decline of it's TV viewership market if UConn leaves the league.

Reaction Score
Not sure I see the value to the Big East and in particular, UConn, for these schools to join the league.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not sure I see the value to the Big East and in particular, UConn, for these schools to join the league.
The BIG East will never replace UConn if it leaves. They'll find a school to fill the spot vacated by UConn, but not one with the notoriety or reputation of UConn. To stay relevant and viable, conferences must replace schools when they leave. Otherwise, they'll die when if their membership shrinks below an unsustainable threshold, inducing the remaining schools to leave, just as the Big 12 is doing now with the loss of Texas and Oklahoma. The BIG 12 can't replace those two stalwarts, but they must try to come as close as they can. The BIG 12 will die if they sit back and do nothing. According to articles I've read here, they have no intention of allowing that to happen.

sun

Reaction Score
1. Just because a conference is small or doesn't offer football doesn't mean that they don't want to increase their revenues to share among its members.
The Big East offers some prestige which a member school can use to improve its recruitment to help upgrade its programs so that they can possibly be selected for March Madness to earn money.
VCU's MBB has an RPI rank of #25.
St, Louis MBB has an RPI rank of #55.

2. The Big East Conference will soon need to negotiate a new TV contract with Fox & every school is part of a media market that may influence TV contract negotiations.
The more viewers a conference can attract the better.
VCU is in the Richmond-Petersburg TV market which is ranked #56 in the US.
The St. Louis TV market is ranked #23 in the US.

3. I'm not totally sure how it works but the NCAA does share its revenues with every NCAA conference which I believe is for all NCAA sponsored sports & not only BB.
That would lead me to believe that the more schools & students & sports that a conference represents then the conference can potentially earn more revenue.

The schools & conferences have expenses, and they have an interest in at least maintaining their revenues & growing them if possible.
Just because the fans don't pay much attention to how college sports is funded doesn't mean that the smaller schools & conferences don't plan on how to survive financially.
Even fan attendance can be a factor for some small schools.
Revenue growth is better than revenue shrinkage & growth in the size of a conference could be better than it shrinking.
Every situation is different & conference realignment seems to currently be a hot button issue.
There's also rumors about conferences merging in the future just to survive since so many schools consider switching conferences & maybe even forming mega-conferences.
Then the more value that a conference offers the better the chance for a future merger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simply put there is none.
3. I'm not totally sure how it works but the NCAA does share its revenues with every NCAA conference which I believe is for all NCAA sponsored sports & not only BB.
Football drives the bus, as is often said. A little example here on who gets the ching.

Although our basketball teams along with baseball, field hockey and many sports are good. We are a small fish in a big pond when it comes to revenue. Financially unsustainable to say the least.
UConn could win basketball championships year after year in the Big East but still keep losing money. In Dave I trust, we will be moving somewhere in the near future to get back to overall respectability in all sports and get the money deserved.
Fingers, arms, legs and every thing I can cross. ;) :D

sun

Reaction Score
Simply put there is none.

Football drives the bus, as is often said. A little example here on who gets the ching.

Although our basketball teams along with baseball, field hockey and many sports are good. We are a small fish in a big pond when it comes to revenue. Financially unsustainable to say the least.
UConn could win basketball championships year after year in the Big East but still keep losing money. In Dave I trust, we will be moving somewhere in the near future to get back to overall respectability in all sports and get the money deserved.
Fingers, arms, legs and every thing I can cross. ;) :D
Here's a PDF that shows the 2020 NCAA revenue distribution plan that totals over $599.6 million to be distributed directly to schools & conferences.
The Big East doesn't sponsor football & many other schools don't either yet they still rely on these NCAA funds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not the school but Jim Mora has been quite outspoken on the topic, which many agree with. I will not attack the one above that thinks NCAA distribution is enough to pay the way. It may be enough for non state schools or the Ivy league with large endowments, but to cover costs UConn needs a conference to make money.
Jim Mora makes case for UConn joining Big 12 as Huskies open preseason camp

UConn is running a 40 to 50 million debt for some years now, it only makes cents to move on.

A life long UConn fan and enjoyed the Big East in the hay day. While I still enjoy all UConn sports The Big East is a shell of it's former self.
Nothing special other than Madison Square for the basketball tourney, and they could still schedule St Johns for the UConn fix out of conference. That's my comment on comments. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom