Rumor of BC Game At Gillette | The Boneyard

Rumor of BC Game At Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
No, but it would be great if it happened. UCONN fans would get a chance to show reach into NYC this year and Boston area if this game were to happen.

Reaction Score
How is BC a "natural rival" ? Because of location only ?

BC has stronger natural rivalries with ND, Cuse, and VT than anything with uconn. The teams have barely played in the past and when they have, the games have been one sided.

As for the Gillette idea, wouldn't count on it, makes no sense from BCs perspective.

It's not just based on football. I think it's pretty obvious both schools don't like each other which is IMO the key ingredient for a rivalry. The fact that we are so close to each other only helps.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

BC has stronger natural rivalries with ND, Cuse, and VT than anything with uconn. The teams have barely played in the past and when they have, the games have been one sided.

As for the Gillette idea, wouldn't count on it, makes no sense from BCs perspective.
Jesus H. Christ.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

How so? BC is irrelevant in the ACC and the city of Boston. Need proof? They are playing a ROAD game at Fenway friggin' Park against Notre Dame. Any chance for BC to play a neutral site game that would generate buzz would be good for their program. The game at Gilette would sellout and the atmosphere would be electric. Any positive event for northeast football would be a good thing for all involved.

That said, I'd be shocked if this happens. BC doesn't want to schedule UCONN. They'd prefer to be on an isolated island and be treated as visitors within their own city limits.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hell will freeze over, thaw and then freeze over again before BC every agreed.....

Look at the attendance numbers for BCU's recent non-conference home games. Villanova 2013, Maine 2012 and UMass 2011 didn't crack 31k. Northwestern drew about 37k in 2012, and Army pulled in 33k in 2013. BCU's average attendance for ACC conference games has matched its last year in the Big East only 2 or 3 years. In other words, BCU fans do not care about their ACC opponents, and certainly aren't going to show up for most of the cupcakes that BCU tries to schedule. ESPN also has zero interest in filming BCU in an empty stadium against an FCS opponent, and finally, every conference is putting pressure on schools to schedule more aggressively, which will result in fewer FCS games.

None of that means that BCU will schedule UConn, but there are a lot of $ reasons to schedule UConn that outweigh an ex-AD's hurt feelings.

Reaction Score
You cant lose if you don't play. BC has rivalry with VTech?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How so? BC is irrelevant in the ACC and the city of Boston. Need proof? They are playing a ROAD game at Fenway friggin' Park against Notre Dame. Any chance for BC to play a neutral site game that would generate buzz would be good for their program. The game at Gilette would sellout and the atmosphere would be electric. Any positive event for northeast football would be a good thing for all involved.

That said, I'd be shocked if this happens. BC doesn't want to schedule UCONN. They'd prefer to be on an isolated island and be treated as visitors within their own city limits.

What makes you think that BC - UConn would be a sellout at Gillette? Both teams season ticket bases don't fill Gillette combined. So in addition to every season ticket holder at each school you are going to get another 15,000 people?

Reaction Score
I don't care about BCU either way, they are irrelevant.

But it would be nice to have a bigger presence in Boston -for both football and basketball. From that point of view I would favor the game. But I would be just as happy to play UMass at Gillette.

Reaction Score
Play BC, don't play BC, I am at the point where I don't even care about that anymore. Up until about a year or so ago I was in the camp that it just made too much sense and should be an annual game. Now, meh, whatever. Would be just as happy playing a home and home with Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, or scheduling more games v Rutgers /Maryland.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

This is how you rack up zero Likes.

Also, I have a lot of family and friends that went to VT and they couldn't care less about BC. They are too busy being a big-time college football program.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nothing like BCU's delusions of grandeur combined with being giant pussycats* to avoid what would be an exceptionally fun game for fans of both sides.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that BC - UConn would be a sellout at Gillette? Both teams season ticket bases don't fill Gillette combined. So in addition to every season ticket holder at each school you are going to get another 15,000 people?

UConn gets an extra 15,000 on top of its season ticket holders at the Rent for a big game. Do you really believe that the two teams combined couldn't do that? This game would sell out either home stadium. Each school would easily attract 40,000 apiece. It makes too much sense not to do it. Neutral game site where both teams would make more money than a traditional away game.

Reaction Score

BC sees ND as a rival. ND views BC as an annoying little sister that it uses to increase its brand awareness in the Northeast. After all, if it was a rival, BC would play ND at Alumni stadium, not at Fenway with BC as the away team. Cuse may now see BC as a rival only because the Fruit lost its more natural rivals in Rutgers and to a lesser degree UConn due to conference realignment. VT sees BC as a rival? Sure, right after UVA (Commonwealth Cup), West Virginia (Black Diamond Cup), Tennessee (they are playing a game at a NASCAR venue after all), Miami, most of the SEC , etc.; but I do believe that V Tech sees BC as more of a rival than Wake Forest, so you have that.

A UConn/BC game will stroke the flame of anger for the only 2 established FBS teams in New England (nothing personal UMass; but, if UMass is still FBS in 10 years, I will be happy and amazed) that gets attention and fans to show-up. Plus, it’s an easy 2/3 hour drive from most of CT. It will not fill Gillette; but, it will draw more people than BC’s games against UMass, Maine and just about everyone from the ACC outside of Florida St, Miami, Syracuse, and maybe Pitt.

Reaction Score
UConn gets an extra 15,000 on top of its season ticket holders at the Rent for a big game. Do you really believe that the two teams combined couldn't do that? This game would sell out either home stadium. Each school would easily attract 40,000 apiece. It makes too much sense not to do it. Neutral game site where both teams would make more money than a traditional away game.

I agree that either team would sell out this game as a home game. I disagree that you would sell out Gillette! I do not believe that you would generate enough interest to play this at a neutral site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom