Rules Question | The Boneyard

Rules Question

Reaction Score
As I saw Z's first two shots, it appeared to me she completely missed the rim, managed to catch her own "pass" on the other side of the basket and was not called for anything. Did I miss the ball touching the rim? Or is there some rule that you can pass the ball to yourself?
If it's valid without touching the rim, can you throw the ball in the air in one place, run and catch it yourself and that be within the rules?
When I played back when they were still using peach baskets, I understood the ball ALWAYS had to hit the rim before you could regain possession. If you "shoot" a free thow, it has to hit the rim (or the floor) before YOU can reclaim it (as in you can't blast if off the backboard with a return to yourself). It HAS to hit the rim.
Can anybody explain?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
OK if it is a legitimate shot, except not allowed in the NBA.

I read this on the internet, so it must be true.

It looked like Z was having fun doing that. Padding her rebounding stats, no doubt.

By the way, 26 and 10 in 15 minutes. That game was kooky crazy. But fun!

Reaction Score
Yes, perfectly legitimate IF the refs decide it was a legitimate shot attempt - and not just an intentional pass to herself. It is only in the NBA that it is illegal, regardless of intent.

It is one of the rules that many fans do not understand.

Reaction Score
OK if it is a legitimate shot, except not allowed in the NBA.

I read this on the internet, so it must be true.

It looked like Z was having fun doing that. Padding her rebounding stats, no doubt.

By the way, 26 and 10 in 15 minutes. That game was kooky crazy. But fun!
I've often wondered whether there is a rebound credited when a shot touches nothing.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yes, perfectly legitimate IF the refs decide it was a legitimate shot attempt - and not just an intentional pass to herself. It is only in the NBA that it is illegal, regardless of intent.

It is one of the rules that many fans do not understand.

because the NBA is not real basketball.

It's sports entertainment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I have seen frequently in the NBA or MBB is a player on a breakaway, essentially make a bounce pass to themselves, where they catch the ball in stride and usually dunk it. I have also seen one player in WBB essentially make a bounce pass to herself, and that's Kia on one of her run-out fast breaks for a layup.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What I have seen frequently in the NBA or MBB is a player on a breakaway, essentially make a bounce pass to themselves, where they catch the ball in stride and usually dunk it. I have also seen one player in WBB essentially make a bounce pass to herself, and that's Kia on one of her run-out fast breaks for a layup.

A bounce pass or a verrry long dribble?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A bounce pass or a verrry long dribble?
As you point out, it's "a very long dribble" or else it would be a turnover. But when you actually see Kia do it, she'll throw the ball 15 feet ahead of herself, catch up to it and then take her 1 1/2 strides to the basket for a layup. Two great aspects of that move are that no one can catch Kia from behind when she does that, and with only one official "dribble," whoever passed the ball to Kia earns an assist.

Reaction Score
As you point out, it's "a very long dribble" or else it would be a turnover. But when you actually see Kia do it, she'll throw the ball 15 feet ahead of herself, catch up to it and then take her 1 1/2 strides to the basket for a layup. Two great aspects of that move are that no one can catch Kia from behind when she does that, and with only one official "dribble," whoever passed the ball to Kia earns an assist.

I'm confused. What does taking one official dribble have to do with the passer earning an assist?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm confused. What does taking one official dribble have to do with the passer earning an assist?
An assist is something of a judgement call by the official scorer, typically involving a pass and shoot or possibly a pass, one dribble and a shot. If a player gets a pass at half court and dribbles 3 or 4 times, typically an assist is not awarded

Reaction Score
An assist is something of a judgement call by the official scorer, typically involving a pass and shoot or possibly a pass, one dribble and a shot. If a player gets a pass at half court and dribbles 3 or 4 times, typically an assist is not awarded

Not necessarily true. There are many assists where the scorer takes two or more dribbles. What matters is if the pass creates an open path to the basket or in some way makes the basket possible. The NCAA Statisticians Manual says: "An assist should be more than a routine pass that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by the receiver. There is no restraint on the distance or type of shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determining whether an assist should be credited."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom