Rules question - challenging a call | The Boneyard

Rules question - challenging a call

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hey all you hoop experts, here's a question regarding challenging a call. During our game vs TN, KJH challenged the charge call against TN and it was reversed. Are there specific situations where this can be used, for instance, the missed SC inbounds play? I am not looking to relitigate that specific play, just looking for insight as to when the challenge can be used.

Reaction Score
What can be challenged and what can't be. Good question.
Here's one I had yesterday: remember when Ayanna hit the deck and forced a jump ball. It was slightly below the free throw line just to the right of the key. They got an underneath out-of-bounds throw in. That to me is an unfair advantage for the offense. You can run a multitude of plays underneath, not as much on the side, especially with their size. Shouldn't the throw in be on the side, parallel to where the tie up occurred on the court? I think they got it wrong. Nothing happened but I was wondering.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rules geeks, does the below apply?

23D84FD3-72E3-445D-A99D-2A605A45D37A.jpeg

Reaction Score
You have a keen eye. The little things can add up. The out of bounds hand off was another doozy resulting in a foul to our guard, along with free throws??? But this result certainly put Nika on the short bench sooner. Wish the announcers could add more in this respect than highlight future games. The NFL/college football often have a rules commentator or well informed TV folks.

Reaction Score
I'm mad about that handoff mainly because it may have cost us a shot at a win... but also slightly because of the whistle we got in the Final Four last year on an inbounds play. Still rankles.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the lookup. Instant replay (a) would seem to apply. As I'm not sure of the clock at -Two minutes and the infraction, this is a difficult call but, when refs take a long time, it seems, to add several seconds to a clock, the handoff / Nika foul should certainly be weighed as a review and wouldn't have been called if the above instant replay rule had been followed. The remedy is to make the correct call after the review. No foul, our ball!

Another area of concern is the comment, by some posters here, that a ref across from the action makes a call on a player facing away from them who apparently has no direct view of what happened, they only supposed what happened. That seems to pass muster most of the time. So much for ref territorial responsibility some have mentioned. Refs do make call from outside their geographic area.

In defense of the refs, the rules, like life, are becoming more complicated.

Reaction Score
I'm mad about that handoff mainly because it may have cost us a shot at a win... but also slightly because of the whistle we got in the Final Four last year on an inbounds play. Still rankles.
I saw CD talking and gesturing to the ref regarding the handoff (aka out of bounds and turnover), but she will have to explain why they couldn't or didn't review it since the clock was certainly under 2 minutes. And the ref that called the foul was standing right there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom