Rule Changes Official: 30 second shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduced TOs | The Boneyard

Rule Changes Official: 30 second shot clock, 4-foot arc, reduced TOs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Here's the full breakdown of the new rules. Main changes are the 30 second shot clock, 4-foot arc, and fewer timeouts.

There are some other minor rule changes as well:

• "the panel approved a rule that would allow officials to penalize players who fake fouls."
  • Expanded replay (shot clock violation vs. made FG)
  • "Class B technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play, for example) one-shot technical fouls. Previously, two shots were granted for these types of technical fouls."
  • No more 5-second on-ball defense violation (I don't like this!)
  • Removed prohibition of dunking in pregame and halftime warmups.
  • Experimental rule: in non-NCAA Tournament postseason tournaments, players will get 6 fouls (think 30 second shot clock in NIT this season).
Also, unrelated to the men's team, but the women's game is having more drastic changes. They will now play four 10-minute quarters instead of two halves.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I am glad to see the 5-second rule is going away. Having a player try to stand close to the ball handler never quickened the pace of play or rarely resulted in a turnover or a 5 second call.

Just annoying to watch a silly game of cat & mouse.

I think the shorter shot clock will help. And if a team wants to turnover, they will have to steal the ball - not just stand near the offensive player.

Reaction Score
Finally some dunks in pregame warm ups, the best change by far. How can we expect guys to dunk in the game if they can't practice them.

Reaction Score
Finally some dunks in pregame warm ups, the best change by far. How can we expect guys to dunk in the game if they can't practice them.
Agreed, but I'm still pissed that they denied us an opportunity of seeing Bazz dunk in a UConn uniform.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
According to ESPN the 5 second rule isn't gone entirely. The rule is only gone when the offensive player is dribbling, if trapped with the ball in their hands they can still be called for a 5 second violation. I personally love the 10 total seconds without a reset to move the ball up the court.

Here's some quotes from the article
"
In other changes, coaches will no longer be allowed to call timeouts during live ball situations and, with only a few exceptions, teams will get just 10 total seconds to advance the ball past half court instead of resetting the clock if there is a stoppage.

Teams also will have 15 seconds, instead of 20, to make a substitution when a player fouls out, and officials will be instructed to start play more quickly following timeouts. If a team does not comply, it will be given a warning. Each additional offense will result in a one-shot technical foul.

Other changes include allowing refs to use replay reviews for potential shot clock violations on made baskets throughout the game and to penalize players for faking fouls, making Class B technical fouls such as hanging on the rim and delay of game one-shot infractions instead of two, removing the prohibition on dunking during warm-ups, eliminating the five-second rule when a player is dribbling and experimenting with a sixth foul during next season's lower-tier postseason tourneys."
Link
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-16-including-30-second-shot-clock-fewer-outs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really doesn't change anything. I hope the 6 foul rule gets shot down though, that's too much.
they need to implement a 3 sec violation on defense. thats the only change college needs and should get. it frees up movement inside the 3pt arc and increases offensive efficiency. it would also rend 2-3 zones and other junk defenses useless

is anybody in the finals using a zone? no.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
anything to pick up the pace of play in the college is much needed. fewer timeouts is great, the game is so over coached now.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
The flexible media timeout item is huge for watching games on TV. No more 10 minutes of commercials on a CBS or ESPN broadcast for 30 seconds of game play when you get a called TO that goes to commercial followed immediately by a dead ball leading to a media TO.

I also love the 10 total seconds. Defense shouldn't get penalized for forcing the opponent to call a TO like they have in the past.

Reaction Score
Why? Foul outs are dumb.
Only crappy players and idiots foul. Fouls slow the game and disrupt the flow, if you allow players more fouls, more will be committed and it will work against all the other changes to speed up the game. If you want to keep players in, start giving the other team points and the ball over 5 fouls, not free thows because they slow the game.

Reaction Score
auror said:
Why? Foul outs are dumb.

Not really. If there was no personal disincentive to fouling repeatedly, the game would be much more physical. If there's no such thing as foul trouble, there's little risk in just fouling any time you are at a disadvantage.

Reaction Score
Only crappy players and idiots foul. Fouls slow the game and disrupt the flow, if you allow players more fouls, more will be committed and it will work against all the other changes to speed up the game. If you want to keep players in, start giving the other team points and the ball over 5 fouls, not free thows because they slow the game.

Disagree (everybody fouls, including really good defenders). Agree. Somewhat agree, at least with the principle.

Not really. If there was no personal disincentive to fouling repeatedly, the game would be much more physical. If there's no such thing as foul trouble, there's little risk in just fouling any time you are at a disadvantage.

I'm not advocating removing all disincentives for fouling, or at least not without replacing them. But disqualifying a player doesn't jive well with the rest of basketball to me, especially with how subjective fouls can be and how inaccurate college refs are.

Reaction Score
they need to implement a 3 sec violation on defense . . . it would also rend 2-3 zones and other junk defenses useless is anybody in the finals using a zone? no.
No, no, no, no, no, no.
One of the great annual traditions in college basketball is watching the Organgemen choke in March. If Boeheim ever went to a man to man, that might change. Seriously James, have you no sense of history and from whence we came?

On a side note, 6 fouls would be bad - there is already too much fouling. If you are so bad at D that you need 6 fouls, I'd rather see you on the bench.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
If the goal is to speed the game up and keep the players on the floor (i.e. , not fouling out) then the solution is escalating foul shots, the more fouls a player has, the more foul shots the person fouled receives... incentive to prevent fouls and players get to keep playing.

Reaction Score
If the goal is to speed the game up and keep the players on the floor (i.e. , not fouling out) then the solution is escalating foul shots, the more fouls a player has, the more foul shots the person fouled receives... incentive to prevent fouls and players get to keep playing.

Very intriguing idea. I like the elegance of a linear # fouls = # free throws, although in practice a 4 FT foul is probably insane. This would probably open up the game and reduce fouling more than any other tweak to basketball. Subjective ref foul calling would be more game-changing, though, which is a negative and something I'd love to reduce.

Reaction Score
Very intriguing idea. I like the elegance of a linear # fouls = # free throws, although in practice a 4 FT foul is probably insane. This would probably open up the game and reduce fouling more than any other tweak to basketball. Subjective ref foul calling would be more game-changing, though, which is a negative and something I'd love to reduce.
imagine a players 7th foul is on a three point shooter, so its 3 + between 3 and 7 more free throws depending on the penalty. does anyone want to watch one person shoot 6+ free throws without any time coming off the clock? I say just give the other team points as the penalty for exceeding 4 fouls. Of course the real place that the foul situation needs to be fixed is with the refs. The refs need to call better and more consistently so that players learn not to foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom