Rule change needed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rule change needed

Reaction Score
I have posted about this a lot. In this tourney, its hand to hand combat in the low post. The ultimate winner will be about making threes.
You can be an old geezer, just don't be an old weezer geezer.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...officiating is inconsistent. Drives me nuts, it just is.

If we're gonna complain about the way officiating is handled, the block/charge is killing me. It seems like often a defender just jumps right into a ballhandlers path and draws a charge. How does that work? I feel like the block/charge is called wrong at least half the time. It's a tough one for officials, but I frequently don't agree with which way they go with it.

Or here's another one. Ballhandler tries to go baseline, defender sticks with them and casually guides them right out of bounds. Turnover. The offensive player didn't dribble out of bounds on purpose, they got subtly pushed. Rarely see that one called against the defender.

Have I ever mentioned I don't like refs? It's gotta be a hard job, I don't want it, but I don't like what we get most of the time.

Reaction Score
Okay, on topic...officiating is inconsistent. Drives me nuts, it just is.

If we're gonna complain about the way officiating is handled, the block/charge is killing me. It seems like often a defender just jumps right into a ballhandlers path and draws a charge. How does that work? I feel like the block/charge is called wrong at least half the time. It's a tough one for officials, but I frequently don't agree with which way they go with it.

Or here's another one. Ballhandler tries to go baseline, defender sticks with them and casually guides them right out of bounds. Turnover. The offensive player didn't dribble out of bounds on purpose, they got subtly pushed. Rarely see that one called against the defender.

Have I ever mentioned I don't like refs? It's gotta be a hard job, I don't want it, but I don't like what we get most of the time.
When we get done discussing hand checking and the beating the post players often take, can we discuss the traveling calls they have focused on this year? Seems like someone has pointed the finger at UConn because they get (mainly ONO and in particular Edwards) 5x the traveling calls as any other team or players.

Reaction Score

Oh man, thats cold. Don't want you working in my rest home....I'm out the window right after curfew if so. :p

Reaction Score
I was just watching the Tennessee vs Belmont game. A Tennessee player Jumps up over the Belmont player who got the rebound, knocks the kid out of bound and it's Tennessee ball. NO foul called!! The poor kid looks at the Ref like "Are you kidding me" . Extremely inconsistent.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts on officiating (It's been a while, so things may have changed. HA!):
  1. Points of emphasis are decided by the ADs, coaches etc. on the Rules Committee.
  2. They are then sent to the conferences/teams as well as the refs (independent contractors) who study them.
  3. Each individual "Officials coordinator" to supervise the various officiating crews to make sure they "follow" the PoE. Understandably, each coordinator has their own interpretation. They also have limited time/money/resources to support the profess. dev. of the officials (See: "What's their budget" and "Independent Contractors."
  4. Officials review/eval game tape (DVD/Stream) as do Coordinators, and then give feedback
  5. Coaches/staff report to the Coordinator on officials.
  6. The NCAA does NOT supervise the officials UNTIL the NCAA tourney. They pick the officials from a pool recommended by coaches.
  7. Once the officials have been selected, they get a "review of the PoE etc. etc."
  8. After every weekend, crews are reviewed. They move on or don't.
  9. Not sure about how the crews are created - folks who've worked together or not, folks who've worked in different conferences (and so, under diff Coordinators with diff interpretations of rules/goals for the overall flow of the game)

Not intended to change anyone's opinions. Just a little background.

Reaction Score
Is the POE this season not calling fouls off the ball in the paint? (Intentionally sarcastic)

Reaction Score
I love all the talk about geezer-hood qualifications. The reply about the defender being able to use an arm if the offensive player has their back to you I guess makes sense. The reply about what I would call incessant flopping is my greatest pet peeve about the women’s game. When are they going to implement a no-flopping rule like the men have. Clearly, some teams are coached to fall after a shot as soon as their feet hit the floor.

Reaction Score
Couple of thoughts on officiating (It's been a while, so things may have changed. HA!):
  1. Points of emphasis are decided by the ADs, coaches etc. on the Rules Committee.
  2. They are then sent to the conferences/teams as well as the refs (independent contractors) who study them.
  3. Each individual "Officials coordinator" to supervise the various officiating crews to make sure they "follow" the PoE. Understandably, each coordinator has their own interpretation. They also have limited time/money/resources to support the profess. dev. of the officials (See: "What's their budget" and "Independent Contractors."
  4. Officials review/eval game tape (DVD/Stream) as do Coordinators, and then give feedback
  6. The NCAA does NOT supervise the officials UNTIL the NCAA tourney. They pick the officials from a pool recommended by coaches.
  7. Once the officials have been selected, they get a "review of the PoE etc. etc."
  9. Not sure about how the crews are created - folks who've worked together or not, folks who've worked in different conferences (and so, under diff Coordinators with diff interpretations of rules/goals for the overall flow of the game)

Thanks for that info

Reaction Score
this happens in every sport tho, idk how many hockey fans are on but in the playoffs interference is allowed tremendously. Meaning that you can pushoff in the crease and in the reg season they call those ticky tacky penalties.
is it my imagination or have they cut down on the traveling calls

Reaction Score

One of my neighbors refs Division I women's basketball and has commented that there is little oversight or constructive feedback - i.e. how to get better aligned/consistent with current rules. This by itself would improve the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom