Ruh roh....the Big East might be getting a great TV deal | The Boneyard

Ruh roh....the Big East might be getting a great TV deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is a sourced article that says the Big East could get a very big deal if it holds together into the fall:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-east-tv-0527-20120526,0,4122916.story?page=1

While the #whineharder crowd prefers McMurphy articles based on an anonymous "source" (likely McMurphy's butt) that says things will go badly for the Big East, here is a bunch of experts in the field, providing their names, that believe the Big East will do OK to very well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Golly, people who are willing put their names on their opinions believe that the Big East will do as well at the deal that they turned down. I guess we've got to #WhineHarder if we want to find something to complain about.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
While the #whineharder crowd prefers McMurphy articles based on an anonymous "source" (likely McMurphy's butt)

This statement made your entire post worth it. ;)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Again, we're sprinkling fairy dust on dog s***.

One guy, Berke, quoted says we might be able to get a deal the size of the ACC and the USC professor basically says we're duck*ed.

Let's ignore the second guy, I guess.

Just a quick note - in Nelsonspeak, the ACC deal is an albatross tied around their necks. That deal signed by the Big East is 'great'

Berke, who has worked with many college and professional teams and assisted the Yankees in launching the YES Network, has a more optimistic view for the Big East. He said that the Big East can ultimately fetch a rights fee in the range of the ACC's $3.6 billion deal, but only if the conference remains intact by the fall.

Quick show of hands for the record - who thinks this conference is going to sign a television deal that will equal the ACC's?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

One guy, Berke, quoted says we might be able to get a deal the size of the ACC and the USC professor basically says we're duck*ed.

Just a quick note - in Nelsonspeak, the ACC deal is an albatross tied around their necks. That deal signed by the Big East is 'great'

Berke, who has worked with many college and professional teams and assisted the Yankees in launching the YES Network, has a more optimistic view for the Big East. He said that the Big East can ultimately fetch a rights fee in the range of the ACC's $3.6 billion deal, but only if the conference remains intact by the fall.

Quick show of hands for the record - who thinks this conference is going to sign a television deal that will equal the ACC's?

Straw man arguments all over the place. I have been very consistent in my expectation of a Big East media deal around $10-12MM per all sports school and about 1/3 of that per hoops schools. McMurphy's prediction of $50MM for the entire Big East was ridiculous. The new MWC will get $50MM/year on their next TV deal in 2 years.

Reaction Score
Straw man arguments all over the place. McMurphy's prediction of $50MM for the entire Big East was ridiculous.

What straw man arguments? I don't think fishy was making any arguments. Also, McMurphys article also had two "experts", one of which predicted around $10 millionper football school. Which seems to agree with your predictions. But yet his article is crap?

Reaction Score
What straw man arguments? I don't think fishy was making any arguments. Also, McMurphys article also had two "experts", one of which predicted around $10 millionper football school. Which seems to agree with your predictions. But yet his article is crap?

Yup. (said while holding hand raised high)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Can I vote that the NBE never lives to see Boise play a single game?

Reaction Score
Is it possible to simply take this article for what it is? one man's valuation of the potential BE contract. It's not like Bailey is going to print this article and cash it in to ESPN for $3.6B.
All he's saying is that the timing appears right for the Big East, and that they probably made the right decision in waiting as long as nobody else leaves. The market will decide the value of the Big East and right now it's a seller's market.

Fishy, I get you're not excited about the big east. What's the alternative?

Reaction Score
The sky is the limit at UConn. We conquered two out of the three most popular collegiate sports.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Thank goodness Tinkerbell is alive! Thanks everybody for believing! I guess we can shut down the conference realignment board now, phew what a relief.

Reaction Score
Straw man arguments all over the place. I have been very consistent in my expectation of a Big East media deal around $10-12MM per all sports school and about 1/3 of that per hoops schools. McMurphy's prediction of $50MM for the entire Big East was ridiculous. The new MWC will get $50MM/year on their next TV deal in 2 years.

You would be mistaken to think that Fishy is arguing with you. Fishy is simply ignoring you and making his own point.

Reaction Score
I've been trying to hide. But ... they keep pulling me back.

WE don't have to have the $$ of the ACC to come out with a successful result. MY OPINION is that merely aggregating the next level of Rising teams in big markets achieves far more than what Brett McMurphy is intimating. If we get $10-13m per school; plus a solid basketball base ... on a FOX & NBC hybrid; well that's OK. I also recognize that we are where we are ... and we have only been doing this for a short time. I have ONE absolute for the whining masses: this will change. It is not going to stand still. The idea that Iowa State & Kansas are more entitled than FSU or Notre Dame is insane. At some point, this will break.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thank goodness Tinkerbell is alive! Thanks everybody for believing! I guess we can shut down the conference realignment board now, phew what a relief.

You were a little slow on the reply to this thread. I hope you are not actually working. That would be irresponsible. ;)

CL82

Reaction Score

Hmnn, if it's bad news it's instantly credible but if it's good news it worthless. I agree neither of the two articles get us a decent contract or a better conference affliliation. But when the first one comes out, that has anonymous "sources" stating that we're looking a worthless contract that's proof that conference won't get a decent tv deal. Then the second one comes out and and insdustry experts say, you know conditions look favorable for the BE to at least as well the ACC deal, that's not worth a bucket of warm spit?

Sorry Fishy, the people who think that there's a shot at a decent contract are consistent, and the arguments that they've used to support that premise on the board turned up this article. I get that you are going to work as hard as possible to be miserable over the state of the conference. That's your choice. But lighten up when the decent sized group who believe otherwise post something to support their viewpoint. We'll know soon enough and I for one can wait to be miserable.

In the meantime. I offer this advice...
Anti-Depressants.jpg

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
One thing to consider. Whichever network is looking to sign up the NBE is likely going to ask for an extremely long-term contract to lock in pricing today. As we've all likely seen, inflation for sports programming is running rampant and a deal that may look really nice today could be an albatross before you know it.

What I have no appreciation for are the typical mechanics of these deals. What are the termination rights for the conference? For the network? Are there re-pricing triggers or accordion triggers (i.e. adding teams, subtracting teams, a championship game, etc). In my experience a contract like that can't possibly anticipate all of the structural changes that may happen so it may open the door to a renegotiation. In the Swofford article he mentioned "look-ins" every five years. Anyone know what that means from a practical perspective?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think the biggest point, that no one has pointed out, is that this "expert" believes that the Big East can get a deal within the range of the ACC deal IF THE CONFERENCE REMAINS INTACT. Who here really believes that that will be the case come September? On top of that, any TV exec who thinks that Louisville or even UConn or RU won't be bolting in the next 2-3 years, won't be so keen to throw boat loads of money at the BE. I am hopeful but tend to side towards the Big East not making out as well as others here believe they will. I just can't see any TV station willing to sign a massive deal with a conference that is very likely not going to be the same in a year. It's not logical.....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not only will the league need to stay intact, but if NBC is the primary network on the deal, they will require a GOR.

In terms of duration, I suspect this deal will terminate around the same time as the Big 12 and ACC deals.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You were a little slow on the reply to this thread. I hope you are not actually working. That would be irresponsible. ;)
LOL. I would have checked in on my phone during a meeting, but my boss was sitting right next to me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the biggest point, that no one has pointed out, is that this "expert" believes that the Big East can get a deal within the range of the ACC deal IF THE CONFERENCE REMAINS INTACT. Who here really believes that that will be the case come September? On top of that, any TV exec who thinks that Louisville or even UConn or RU won't be bolting in the next 2-3 years, won't be so keen to throw boat loads of money at the BE. I am hopeful but tend to side towards the Big East not making out as well as others here believe they will. I just can't see any TV station willing to sign a massive deal with a conference that is very likely not going to be the same in a year. It's not logical.....

Thanks for saving me the typing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we can expect a $3.6B deal that ends in 2113.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Talking about the total amount of the deal is ridiculous. There are 38 some odd teams in the league and who cares what the total value is, it only matters on a per year basis.

Reaction Score
From December 13, 2011.

Having defeated Army for a 10th consecutive season on Saturday, Navy can now turn its full attention to its next goal: joining the Big East Conference.

The Midshipmen are preparing to join the Big East as a football-only member, but likely won't do so in 2013, Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk told CBSSports.com.

Gladchuk said ultimately Navy's Superintendent, Vice Admiral Michael Miller, will make the decision on whether Navy joins the Big East. However, Gladchuk admitted "everyone in Navy's chain of command is comfortable [with the Big East] and the direction it's going."

THat was a little over 6 months ago. Things are definitey headed in the right direction. There are a lot of powerful forces in the information and entertainement world that would benefit from the big east splitting apart, and the threat to the status quo in the college football post season, and the governance of the NCAA itself, would benefit from a big east conference split.

See the thing about the naval academy that the big east really brings, is their entry not into college football broadcasting money- it's into the governing structure of the NCAA itself.

There are more powerful forces out there - that would benefit from the big east holding together, that it would splitting apart, and I question the true intent of anyone at this point in time, that does not recognize, that an intact big east, with as much freedom as possible with our own tiers of broadcasting, and the ability to schedule both football and basketball in their respective primetime's on saturdays and weeknights, is the best option for uconn moving forward.

Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Working for ESPN, or being an ACC fan, neither of which I am, or ever have been - those are excuses.

Trust, loyalty, honor. It's a tradition that's returning to the intercollegiate world, where education is supposed to be important.

It's no wonder that the big east and USNA squared all their existing CBS business deals away, to be grandfathered in to the future big east deals until 2018, prior to cleaning house in the media prior to billion dollar media contract discussions......

Right way and wrong way to be going about doing things.

But then again, not too many people, have been paying attention to stuff like that, when the houdini acts are going on. You can make an elephant disappear, just by making somebody look in the wrong direction.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
From December 13, 2011.

Having defeated Army for a 10th consecutive season on Saturday, Navy can now turn its full attention to its next goal: joining the Big East Conference.

The Midshipmen are preparing to join the Big East as a football-only member, but likely won't do so in 2013, Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk told CBSSports.com.

Gladchuk said ultimately Navy's Superintendent, Vice Admiral Michael Miller, will make the decision on whether Navy joins the Big East. However, Gladchuk admitted "everyone in Navy's chain of command is comfortable [with the Big East] and the direction it's going."

THat was a little over 6 months ago. Things are definitey headed in the right direction. There are a lot of powerful forces in the information and entertainement world that would benefit from the big east splitting apart, and the threat to the status quo in the college football post season, and the governance of the NCAA itself, would benefit from a big east conference split.

See the thing about the naval academy that the big east really brings, is their entry not into college football broadcasting money- it's into the governing structure of the NCAA itself.

There are more powerful forces out there - that would benefit from the big east holding together, that it would splitting apart, and I question the true intent of anyone at this point in time, that does not recognize, that an intact big east, with as much freedom as possible with our own tiers of broadcasting, and the ability to schedule both football and basketball in their respective primetime's on saturdays and weeknights, is the best option for uconn moving forward.

Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Working for ESPN, or being an ACC fan, neither of which I am, or ever have been - those are excuses.

Trust, loyalty, honor. It's a tradition that's returning to the intercollegiate world, where education is supposed to be important.

It's no wonder that the big east and USNA squared all their existing CBS business deals away, to be grandfathered in to the future big east deals until 2018, prior to cleaning house in the media prior to billion dollar media contract discussions......

Right way and wrong way to be going about doing things.

But then again, not too many people, have been paying attention to stuff like that, when the houdini acts are going on. You can make an elephant disappear, just by making somebody look in the wrong direction.

Ive always wondered: Is it hard to spend so much time and effort on putting on an internet personality that at the end of the day creates no value and has no impact?

All the typing and plotting and planning for what? So people like me reply in the fashion you desire?

I am honestly curious - what satisfaction do you get? When did you decide to go down this road? Whats the payoff?

Reaction Score
Ive always wondered: Is it hard to spend so much time and effort on putting on an internet personality that at the end of the day creates no value and has no impact?

All the typing and plotting and planning for what? So people like me reply in the fashion you desire?

I am honestly curious - what satisfaction do you get? When did you decide to go down this road? Whats the payoff?

Nah. I think the better question for Karl after a post like that is what time of day he starts drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom