Ruh-Roh...High ranking UMD official: "ND deal was shoved down our throats. | The Boneyard

Ruh-Roh...High ranking UMD official: "ND deal was shoved down our throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“@MHver3: High ranking University of Maryland official: "Notre Dame deal was shoved down our throats. We're mad as hell."

“@MHver3: Terms of ND deal not fully disclosed until final voting was over”

“@MHver3: ACC expansion not over yet? Hasn't the Big East suffered enough?”

“@theDudeofWV: @MHver3 I wonder how FSU feels about UCONN?”

Who knows... Can't have a boring Friday.

Reaction Score
“@MHver3: The Big East can't even sue the ACC or ESPN for interference. ND knows too many of their dirty secrets. NBC secrets.”

“@MHver3: Big East knew this was coming down the pipe though and as long as they can keep the rest of the band together they will get their contract”

Reaction Score
I'm confused. Why is a deal being shoved down Maryland's throats a "Ruh Roh?" Am I concerned that Maryland didn't get what it wanted? what?

Reaction Score
From what I've heard UMD and FSU voted against, but like bizlaw said, who cares? Ahould we be upset that their feelings are hurt? I think the part they really didn't like wasn't so much ND, but the $50m exit fee, which I guess means they both were hoping to leave at some point. oh well, tough nuggets for them.

Reaction Score
MHver3@MHver3
Terms of ND deal not fully disclosed until final voting was over

MHver3@MHver3
"I've altered the deal, pray I don't alter it further" -Swofford

What does that mean?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wait. If the ND deal was altered after the vote was made and/or details of the deal weren't fully disclosed how can any party be bound by the vote?

Reaction Score
I'm confused. Why is a deal being shoved down Maryland's throats a "Ruh Roh?" Am I concerned that Maryland didn't get what it wanted? what?

It's further proof that some of the schools aren't happy with the ND deal. Our only hope is that someone is unhappy enough to leave the ACC and can fight the $50 million penalty.

The WVU fans are still hoping for FSU.

Reaction Score
The writing is on the wall here. Swofford knew the ACC was in serious trouble and the only way to potentially save the league was to bring in ND. ND knew they had leverage and used it to get the exact same deal it had with the Big East.

ND really got a great deal here; they basically bent Swofford over the a table and stuffed him until he couldnt take any more.

Think about it - the ACC allows ND to have the Bowl Tie ins which essentially knocks down one of the ACC members to a lower bowl every year while ND only has to play 5 ACC every year in footbal, two of which are on the schedule every year anyway. Also note that ND has had home and homes with FSU, Georgia Tech, Wake, and Miami in the past.

The writing on the wall here - were (ACC) desperate and well do anything to bring you in the league because its the only move that might save us.

You want beg harder - Swofford did more of it then anybody.

Also, please note that Texas was shocked by ND's agreement with the ACC as the horns thought ND was headed to the Big 12 with it's Olympic sports. If that had happened it was game set match for the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The writing is on the wall here. Swofford knew the ACC was in serious trouble and the only way to potentially save the league was to bring in ND. ND knew they had leverage and used it to get the exact same deal it had with the Big East.

ND really got a great deal here; they basically bent Swofford over the a table and stuffed him until he couldnt take any more.

Think about it - the ACC allows ND to have the Bowl Tie ins which essentially knocks down one of the ACC members to a lower bowl every year while ND only has to play 5 ACC every year in footbal, two of which are on the schedule every year anyway. Also note that ND has had home and homes with FSU, Georgia Tech, Wake, and Miami in the past.

The writing on the wall here - were (ACC) desperate and well do anything to bring you in the league because its the only move that might save us.

You want beg harder - Swofford did more of it then anybody.

Also, please note that Texas was shocked by ND's agreement with the ACC as the horns thought ND was headed to the Big 12 with it's Olympic sports. If that had happened it was game set match for the ACC.

UT was delusional if they thought ND would go to the Big XII. They don't even play several Olympic sports where the Irish excel and with St. Louis no longer in the mix, the whole region has very few Catholics (unless you want to count San Antonio). It was B1G all-in of ACC for olympics. It's a good deal for the ACC and the Irish, regardless of what the geniuses that hired Randy Edsall think.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Well I think we found out who is going to (eventually) challenge the $50M exit fee.

"The definition of “reasonable,” Loh said, is up for legal bodies to decide, but should not be “a damage that is so punitive and so overwhelming that it deters people from entering an agreement” in the first place."

Essentially, you can have damages that reflect the 'cost' associated with breaching the contract but where: a)you haven't tried to figure out what those damages are but rather come up with them arbitrarily, and b) they appear punitive they won't stand the muster of course. I think this was a shot across Swofford/ESPN's bow.

So while they aren't going to pull the trigger now this is a clear message to other suitors that "hey, we have an exit strategy," and "keep looking."

Reaction Score

BL the only Ruh ROH is for it appears they are not singing Kumbaya and it appears it is over more than the raised exit fee. I have no clue whether this guy has intel, he's a clarivorent or he's just a rable rouser . Just sharing... I could care less who's feeling are hurt.

Reaction Score
Well I think we found out who is going to (eventually) challenge the $50M exit fee.

"The definition of “reasonable,” Loh said, is up for legal bodies to decide, but should not be “a damage that is so punitive and so overwhelming that it deters people from entering an agreement” in the first place."

Essentially, you can have damages that reflect the 'cost' associated with breaching the contract but where: a)you haven't tried to figure out what those damages are but rather come up with them arbitrarily, and b) they appear punitive they won't stand the muster of course. I think this was a shot across Swofford/ESPN's bow.

So while they aren't going to pull the trigger now this is a clear message to other suitors that "hey, we have an exit strategy," and "keep looking."
well If we have yet to enforce the 27 month penalty I assume this can be negotiated as well

Reaction Score
well If we have yet to enforce the 27 month penalty I assume this can be negotiated as well
I would suspect that is the case in the short term after the vote. If FSU or MD comes back a year, or two, or three from now and tries to sue saying, hey, we don't like that exit fee, I'd think a court would be less likely to side with them than if they did that shortly after it was voted on.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Brass, I'm not sure that is true. The only question, whenever that question is asked, is what is reasonable at the time of signature? I think there is an overwhelming case that adding ND did not create a situation whereby the departure of any other member institution will cost the league an additional $30M in damages. Maryland is smart to save this trump card for future battles.

Reaction Score
You do realize that this Tweet is from a random West Virginia guy with about 600 followers? He doesn't even have a mildly entertaining blog to point to like The Dude. Somehow, WVU fans off of the street have the most stellar contacts in the history of the world at Florida State, Texas, Clemson and now Maryland, yet couldn't even get good information about their OWN school one year ago during conference realignment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In Loh’s view, the $50 million charge for leaving the ACC, which equates to three times the annual operating budget, represents not an exit fee but an “exit penalty,” which Loh believes is “illegal and philosophically not a good idea.”
“The law says that when you have liquidated damages, and in advance you anticipate a breaching of the contract, we will decide what the damages will be,” Loh said. “You talk about damages, not penalties, and it has to be a reasonable estimate. That’s the law. We live in a free economy. We want people to move freely in and out of relationships. That’s the philosophical principle. What constitutes reasonable? That’s for a court to decide.

I think someone just says he doesn't feel bound by this provision.

Reaction Score
You do realize that this Tweet is from a random West Virginia guy with about 600 followers? He doesn't even have a mildly entertaining blog to point to like The Dude. Somehow, WVU fans off of the street have the most stellar contacts in the history of the world at Florida State, Texas, Clemson and now Maryland, yet couldn't even get good information about their OWN school one year ago during conference realignment.

Geez - thanks for pointing that out.

Reaction Score
frankthetank said:
You do realize that this Tweet is from a random West Virginia guy with about 600 followers? He doesn't even have a mildly entertaining blog to point to like The Dude. Somehow, WVU fans off of the street have the most stellar contacts in the history of the world at Florida State, Texas, Clemson and now Maryland, yet couldn't even get good information about their OWN school one year ago during conference realignment.​
Geez - thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry - that wasn't fair. Yup - I realize the source - he's been on a few topics and off on others. Could be the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut theory" or maybe he is being fed info. Who knows - i find it humorous.​

Reaction Score
I sense a trend here. Everytime the ACC announces something, the general media reaction is positive (and yes I realize that a lot of that media is ESPN and many believe ESPN is the devil and has it in for UConn. But they're not the only ones). Then the "real" info leaks out proclaiming how the ACC is in trouble. And then more news comes out and the whole cycle starts again.

For example:
(1) ACC adds Pitts/Syracuse. But in reality FSU and Clemson are already out the door
(2) ACC renegotiates their deal. Many in the media think that ends realignment talk. But it reality the deal sucks and FSU is still leaving.
(3) Clemson outright says its not going anywhere. But in reality its Georgia Tech and not Clemson that was supposed to go with FSU.
(4) ACC adds Notre Dame. But in reality everyone hates it and FSU is still leaving

Reaction Score

It is all a matter of concentration. WV fans were not concentrating hard enough on themselves at the time, thus they missed the signs. It appears they are honing in on all the signals now.

Often times you can be shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I doubt that's a real quote. it's basically what Darth Vader said in I believe the original Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back actually haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104