RU to decline WNIT invite | The Boneyard

RU to decline WNIT invite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Since there was some asking here.

CVS announced that we will not be accepting a WNIT bid.

“It would be an honor to play in the postseason and in WNIT, but with the numerous injuries on our team, it is in the best interest of our student-athletes to not participate,” said Stringer. “We have ladies preparing for professional careers and need time to heal from serious injuries that have hurt their numbers the last few months. They need the time to recover so they can showcase their abilities at the next level. Additionally, we have others that are limited in their practice time which would also hinder us in preparing adequately for a run in the postseason.”

“I would want our Rutgers team to compete to the best of their ability in any postseason appearance,” she continued, “but right now, getting our student-athletes the treatment they need to be successful is what we feel as a staff is what is best. The injuries we have suffered this season have been some of the most I can remember in a long time.”

http://www.scarletknights.com/basketball-women/news/release.asp?prID=12920#.UUDnJxyG2sh

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Saves them the embarrassment of scoring 37 points and losing to someone like Hampton, FGCU, or Akron, et al :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well at least I'll won't see comments like these for a while. So there's the bright side. :D

How many seniors do you guys lose ?

Reaction Score
3 scholarship players (Oliver, Lee, Wheeler) and one walk-on (Lapidus)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any of them have a realistic chance of playing pro ball? I would have bet C. Viv would want to extend the season so she could have more opportunities to tell the press about all the injuries.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
There are injuries. Oliver(ankle), Lee(Strained MCL), Canty(Knee), and I heard that Wheeler also had a injury but I'm unsure what it is.

So yes, I think CVS had the right call here. Time to focus on next season.

Reaction Score
Any of them have a realistic chance of playing pro ball? I would have bet C. Viv would want to extend the season so she could have more opportunities to tell the press about all the injuries.
Oliver has the best chance. Lee might get a tryout, but I wouldn't expect her to be drafted.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
They all could play overseas I think.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To the extent they are healthy, I think they will all get a look-see from the W. Oliver is a draft prospect, I suppose, but hasn't been able to play a full game for a while. I think Lee could have been a prospect had she not had the chronic injuries of the last 2 seasons. Wheeler may get a training camp invite, but is too inconsistent and has been suffering from knee problems of late.

Reaction Score
Well, at least the "injuries" declination is better than UNC's crying last year when they refused the bid to the WNIT because they felt that since the university was a host for the 1st and 2nd Round of the NCAA Tournament, they should be able to play in that solely because they were the host....talk about a lot of stink in our area last year. I went and pulled for Georgia Tech, who ended up being the host team. Okay, I'll retreat now that I've probably opened my mouth too much for this early in the morning, lol

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Wow, shame about the injuries taking an opportunity from the team. Hope everyone gets healthy and you have a great year next year (except when playing us - you are here for one more year, right?)

Reaction Score
Coler:
Does cv run there plays with the ball outside for 25-30 sec then jack up a shot like Vilanova once in a while find the center open
excpt no three point shooters on the team??? Is this her teaching???

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Why does the "injury" line of reasoning sound reminiscent of a scandal-plagued politician resigning so the "can spend more time with their family"?:oops:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Why does the "injury" line of reasoning sound reminiscent of a scandal-plagued politician resigning so the "can spend more time with their family"?:oops:
Yes, but the RU injuries to the seniors are real.

The 3 minor injuries to underclassmen she sighted - strained quads and bruised toes - I thought were pushing it. I think more likely the fear is RU would have embarrased themselves, because truthfully - although we have often mucked this season without one or more of them in a game - all the plays and schemes that the team runs are designed to include the seniors, who were expected to get major playing time. You're not going to revamp the offense just for a probably sort WNIT run, especially when your self identified biggest problem is no competent point guard.

The only sign of hope for us RU fans is the anticipation of a first rate point guard next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom