ROY | The Boneyard

ROY

Reaction Score
Not in any official capacity.

A panel of sportswriters votes on it. They each pick first through third place, with 5 pts going to each first place vote, 3 pts going to each second place vote, and one pt going to each third place vote. Add them all up, and the rookie with the most points wins ROY (ironically enough).

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
do any of them watch any full wnba games? or at minimum, give a bit of personal research? ... not to be cynical, but i daresay i could guess the answers

i hope the they choose the right people to listen to

Reaction Score
do any of them watch any full wnba games? or at minimum, give a bit of personal research? ... not to be cynical, but i daresay i could guess the answers

i hope the they choose the right people to listen to
What do you mean by personal research?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well you really can't go wrong with either choice. Obviously I'd vote for Pheesa, but historically the scoring leader wins the award. Most of the voters likely have not watched every game and may not do detailed enough analysis to look at efficiency numbers, etc. If they only look at PPG, then yeah they will vote for Arike. If they look at everything, they should vote for Pheesa...

I'm glad at least one sportswriter (was it Voepel?) came out and said she'd vote for Pheesa and explained why. Maybe that will help educate others who have not paid as much attention...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do we know when the awards are announced?

Reaction Score
Partly how do you compare a guard versus a forward? Forwards are going to get more rebounds, as Pheesa did, guards are going to get more assists, as Arike did. Pheesa had more steals but Arike, playing aggressively, had far more free throws and three pointers. A ROY case for either is justified.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
WNBA stats are wrong. I was comparing Arike and Pheesa when I noticed that EDD was listed as first in free throws made with 108 and Arike wasn’t in top five so I checked and discovered Arike with 135 free throws made, 27 more than the alleged leader. I think sometimes free throws are indicative of a player’s impact as it shows both her aggressiveness and how closely the opponent has to play her. Now in second place in scoring, she also could overtake Grinder with a strong performance and a subpar one by Grinder in final game. She’s making a strong argument for ROY. Right now she is the Dallas Wings. Where would they be with Cambage? Of course where would Lynx be with Maya?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The WNBA stats page is a bit funky. Every so often, they just drop a player out of a stat category. For several weeks McCowan was not listed in the rebounding, but was in scoring, etc.

WNBA stats are wrong. I was comparing Arike and Pheesa when I noticed that EDD was listed as first in free throws made with 108 and Arike wasn’t in top five so I checked and discovered Arike with 135 free throws made, 27 more than the alleged leader. I think sometimes free throws are indicative of a player’s impact as it shows both her aggressiveness and how closely the opponent has to play her. Now in second place in scoring, she also could overtake Grinder with a strong performance and a subpar one by Grinder in final game. She’s making a strong argument for ROY. Right now she is the Dallas Wings. Where would they be with Cambage? Of course where would Lynx be with Maya?

Reaction Score
The WNBA stats page is a bit funky. Every so often, they just drop a player out of a stat category. For several weeks McCowan was not listed in the rebounding, but was in scoring, etc.
Getting stats wrong does not reflect well on WNBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom