RoY Thread | The Boneyard

RoY Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
The fact that they have not announced it yet makes me think that they will let ESPN make the announcement at halftime of the first game like last night. The problem is that they invited the CoY winner to be interviewed. That makes me nervous since the one of the leading candidates will be a bit busy.

Bit in any case, who'ya got
CPM2g4kWsAAVfJc.png:large

Reaction Score
As far as ROY goes, Jewell Loyd is exactly the type of player the voters look for. Kiah might have to console herself with her fourth annual White House visit.:D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree, MJL, but for Kiah to be right there in the conversation while Jewell is a year older (1 year of experience out of college makes a HUGE difference in the pros) shows just how good Kiah is, and how bright her future is.

Reaction Score
Seattle allowed Jewel to showboat but that didn't help the team to go anywhere. On the other hand, Stokes efforts were very significant in the succes of the Liberty. They may even win a championship this year because of her.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I agree, MJL, but for Kiah to be right there in the conversation while Jewell is a year older (1 year of experience out of college makes a HUGE difference in the pros) shows just how good Kiah is, and how bright her future is.
Eric, I think you have the experience issue backwards. It is Kiah that has an extra year of experience, as she had 4 years of college. Jewell only had 3 years. Both are first year pros (hence the rookie thing). Maybe you are confusing Jewell with Achonwa, who graduated a year ago but couldn't play due to the ACL tear she suffered in the Elite 8 game vs. Baylor in 2014.

By the way, posters on Rebkell have deduced that Jewell won the award. If Kiah had won the award, they would have announced it before the Liberty's playoff game so she could be acknowledged for the honor by the home crowd. They announced Delle Donne a day before her home playoff opener and Bill a day before his playoff opener. They wouldn't have waited for Kiah because there is no way to be sure that NY will have another game in NY.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Carolyn Peck just said she voted for Stokes as ROY...

She said her defense and rebounding is why!

Hope Kiah can win ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why is it taking so long to announce the ROY? I would think that would be one of the first awards given.

Reaction Score
why is it taking so long to announce the ROY? I would think that would be one of the first awards given.
I believe voters are struggling with the idea of giving this award to a player on a team that is at the rock bottom of the standings. I don't think that makes any sense either.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Seattle allowed Jewel to showboat but that didn't help the team to go anywhere. On the other hand, Stokes efforts were very significant in the succes of the Liberty. They may even win a championship this year because of her.

I watched Seattle multiple times and thought Lloyd played good, solid basketball. What did she do that you consider showboating?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I believe voters are struggling with the idea of giving this award to a player on a team that is at the rock bottom of the standings.

Ballots were due a week ago.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
ROY in nearly ANY league usually goes to the top scorer. Not saying that's right, just saying it's a fact.
If Kiah had played for Seattle this year her efforts would not have had the impact they have in NY.
But I think the voting might be closer than a lot of folks think. Amd Kiah has a bigger upside, IMHO.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
ROY in nearly ANY league usually goes to the top scorer. Not saying that's right, just saying it's a fact.
If Kiah had played for Seattle this year her efforts would not have had the impact they have in NY.
But I think the voting might be closer than a lot of folks think. Amd Kiah has a bigger upside, IMHO.

Generally that's true but since there was no rookie scoring average that was very high this season that opens the door wide for KS. I would think finishing 2nd to Griner in Defensive player is pretty telling. . AND close in 6th man as well. No rookie scorers finished 2nd in scoring that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the wait is so they can announce and give Kiah the ROTY trophy before tomorrows game? I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave Stef Dolson Most Improved Player tomorrow also.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Perhaps the wait is so they can announce and give Kiah the ROTY trophy before tomorrows game? I also wouldn't be surprised if they gave Stef Dolson Most Improved Player tomorrow also.
If Stokes had been voted ROY, she would have been awarded it the same game that Bill won COY, i.e., the first playoff home game (because they wanted to present the award in front of the home crowd). They wouldn't have waited because they couldn't be sure that NY would win so the series would return to NY. The fact that 2 awards have yet to be announced suggests that they were won by individuals from teams that didn't make the playoffs, which bodes well for Kelsey Bone (MIP) and Jewell Loyd (ROY).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom