Round 1 opponent - Vermont | The Boneyard

Round 1 opponent - Vermont

Reaction Score
Countries of origin on their roster: Spain (two players), Croatia, Serbia, Latvia and Norway. I'm thinking, Nika must know her 5'9 counterpart guard who is also named Nika, also from Croatia. And that should make a total of nine languages on the court. Basketball is so international.

Reaction Score
Too bad South Florida isn't in Connecticut's bracket. They have their usual international team with players from seven foreign countries. (One of the things I've always enjoyed about the Olympics was all the interesting names from all over the world).

Reaction Score
Countries of origin on their roster: Spain (two players), Croatia, Serbia, Latvia and Norway. I'm thinking, Nika must know her 5'9 counterpart guard who is also named Nika, also from Croatia. And that should make a total of nine languages on the court. Basketball is so international.
If Maj Forsberg is one of the referees you can add Danish, Japanese, Swedish, and German to the list. She also speaks Norwegian,but you already have that covered.)

Reaction Score
It's only fitting they play the National Anthems of each country...yeah the game will be slightly delayed but what a thrill for each international player. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
THE BATTLE OF THE NIKAS!!! :eek:

Reaction Score
Both Vermont and Albany shot the ball so poorly, and although I don't think Vermont is going to challenge UCONN, they are better shooters than they show. Their main 3 point threat was shooting around 40% and went 0-8 that game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for VT, their tallest player is 6-2 which they have three of them. They played 7 deep in the championship game having one of their worst games of the season, maybe it was nerves or just an off night. UConn should have very few challenges with the Catamounts.

Nika should have a field day passing to open players, she may even break he own single game assist record. Both Aaliyah and Dorka should have double - doubles, maybe even Aubrey. Lou, Azzi, and Caroline can practice their 3 point shots when they double down low on the bigs. The bench should get to play a few more minutes than usual because I don't see the starters playing more than 30 minutes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, this game will be all about Azzi. She wasn't great against Nova but I think most of that was rust. She got in a good workout and her shot came along in the 2nd half. I would love to see her shoot a ton of shots this game to set her up for down the road.

Reaction Score
It's games like this, that makes everyone so grateful of playing basketball. It's such a shame that as some teams rise, they get away from the joy of the game. So good game for both teams. Congrats on making it to the dance.
Go Huskies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Remember May and Courtney in 2009. They worked their butts off v. UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for VT, their tallest player is 6-2 which they have three of them. They played 7 deep in the championship game having one of their worst games of the season, maybe it was nerves or just an off night. UConn should have very few challenges with the Catamounts.

Nika should have a field day passing to open players, she may even break he own single game assist record. Both Aaliyah and Dorka should have double - doubles, maybe even Aubrey. Lou, Azzi, and Caroline can practice their 3 point shots when they double down low on the bigs. The bench should get to play a few more minutes than usual because I don't see the starters playing more than 30 minutes.
For some programs (mid and low-majors), just making the tournament is fulfilling enough. They know they have no legitimate chance of winning the tournament. Just to be able to say they made the tournament (get a tournament gift bag) and played in a game is the perfect end to their season. A tournament win before they bow out would be even better.

My son's team (Pacific/Big West Conference) lost its conference championship game his senior year to the worst team in the league. He and his teammates were heartbroken. They had beaten them decisively twice in the regular season. He knew they had no chance of winning the tournament, he just wanted to experience playing in a tournament game. He said that even if they had gotten blown out, it would have been an experience he would have cherished forever.

We know there are two types of teams in every tournament. Those that are just happy to be there, and those that believe they have a realistic chance of winning the championship. Usually, the teams "just happy to be there" don't make it to the 2nd weekend.

Reaction Score
Every coach wants to meet Geno and every player wants to play against UCONN. They know they will be out of their class but they will learn so much that will help them when they do play against their peers. One thing that great teams do is focus during preparation and it is a quality some really good players don't have. In some cases it is what separates the good from the great players. Some players like Lou use it as a bridge to get to a level not available to them before.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

I don't feel a bit sorry for them. Just getting in the tournament is an accomplishment and a reward for their hard work over the season. They won their conference and I'm sure that everyone on the coaching staff and all the players are thrilled to be in the tournament for the 1st time in more than 10 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom