Rough Physical Play | The Boneyard

Rough Physical Play

Reaction Score
Throughout the season Geno and others have been questioning how womens basketball is morphing towards an increase in rough, physical play and whether that is a positive or a negative. It looks like womens lacrosse is going through the same thing. Here's a quote from the North Carolina coach

“We continue to ALLOW intentional fouling that is meant to disrupt, stop play, run the shot clock, and disrupt to a point that it is dangerous and unsafe to players who are NOT in EQUIPMENT,”

Here's the entire article. I like the idea of having a serious inquiry about the future of the game rather than drifting into a different type of play

Reaction Score
Women's lacrosse is intended to be a game of passing and unfettered movement of the ball. The only protective equipment typically worn is eye protection. Not that I am an expert, but my understanding is that stick checking above the level of the shoulders in a foul, as is body checking. It's not like men's lacrosse where they basically wear body armor. and helmets.

Reaction Score
I hope that college WBB does not progress to
" Intentional fouling that is meant to disrupt, stop play.... and disrupt to a
point that is dangerous and unsafe". If Division I NCAA women's basketball
spins down to this level of competition I may have to change my allegiance to
Division II or !! Division III !!. Any new rules in the offing that any
Boneyarder knows about??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope that college WBB does not progress to
" Intentional fouling that is meant to disrupt, stop play.... and disrupt to a
point that is dangerous and unsafe". If Division I NCAA women's basketball
spins down to this level of competition I may have to change my allegiance to
Division II or !! Division III !!. Any new rules in the offing that any
Boneyarder knows about??
Think about it for a moment.........when was the last time you saw a referee call an "intentional" foul in WCBB? :rolleyes: They call FLAGRANT fouls, but not intentional fouls. :confused:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Think about it for a moment.........when was the last time you saw a referee call an "intentional" foul in WCBB? :rolleyes: They call FLAGRANT fouls, but not intentional fouls. :confused:
Saw one during the tourney where a player tripped by the scorers' table, and when the opponent ran by, the former swung a leg to prohibit movement. It was called an intentional.

Reaction Score
Grabbing, holding and body checking are the great equalizers. If you have a quick player who moves well without the ball you have the advantage unless the other team is allowed to hold. Players like Lou and Dorka are not built to play the physical brand and they are forced to do it they are required to play a completely different game than they one that is their strength. I saw a lot of teams that just went big and slow because they were allowed to foul at will.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Wow. That was flagrant, and intentional and warranted the player being barred. A dismissal from the team is also in order. As a coach, you can't support or allow that kind of play. Tha's not basketball. That was a gross cheap shot. :confused:

Reaction Score
Wow. That was flagrant, and intentional and warranted the player being barred. A dismissal from the team is also in order. As a coach, you can't support or allow that kind of play. Tha's not basketball. That was a gross cheap shot. :confused:
That foul could have resulted in the player being charged with assault. If I remember correctly an NHL player was charged with assault a few years ago.

NBA games, aside from cheap shots, is incredibly physical. Watching the Sixers play Brooklyn last night the amount of abuse Joel Imbid took was incredible. Most ordinary humans would be hobbled for a week. For Joel - just another game.

Reaction Score
That foul could have resulted in the player being charged with assault. If I remember correctly an NHL player was charged with assault a few years ago.

NBA games, aside from cheap shots, is incredibly physical. Watching the Sixers play Brooklyn last night the amount of abuse Joel Imbid took was incredible. Most ordinary humans would be hobbled for a week. For Joel - just another game.
Claxton begs to differ.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Sounds good to me!!!

Reaction Score
One of the major problems is the inconsistency between conferences. I don’t know what the fix for that would be, but I think it has to involve some level of consistent training and review to stop the “bully ball” era of women’s basketball. Nobody wants to see that mess in basketball again. People that do are free to watch football instead.

Reaction Score
" Intentional fouling that is meant to disrupt, stop play....
The funny part of it all is the hard fouls all game long underneath are not called. But and this is big but. Someone chasing a player down the floor can reach out and touch the opponent and get a whistle to stop the game in the last two minutes.
Obviously a intentional foul but never called as one. The game has evolved to a point of many losing interest, sad to say.

Kat

Reaction Score
Physical play is one thing but hard fouling is getting to be a regular thing in WBB. Two things that need to be controlled: Enforce harsh penalties/ejections for shots to the head, and stop allowing players to force a jump ball by body-slamming into the player who has the ball.

Reaction Score
It’s a direct trickle down effect from the NBA style of ball from at least the past two decades. I stopped watching them many years ago, and the way WBB is going, they might be next. Simply put, the game is not being played the way it was designed and how the rules dictate. The same with sportsmanship and civility on the court. There used to be a saying, “sports builds character”, sadly, for most of the basketball and sports world in general, that is no longer true!

Reaction Score
It’s a direct trickle down effect from the NBA style of ball from at least the past two decades. I stopped watching them many years ago, and the way WBB is going, they might be next. Simply put, the game is not being played the way it was designed and how the rules dictate. The same with sportsmanship and civility on the court. There used to be a saying, “sports builds character”, sadly, for most of the basketball and sports world in general, that is no longer true!
I took a look, can't find it anymore and wish I had saved it. When Nika broke Sue's assist record, there was a post of the two of them; Sue taken when she set the record, and Nika when she broke it. Same uniforms, but what a world of difference. Sue is wearing her uniform, socks and sneakers. Nika is wearing the uniform, double ankle braces, knee pads, has a wrist wrapped, and if I remember correctly, an elbow sleeve.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in reading a follow-up article to this story. I would like to know "the rest of the story." What happened to this player? What's his status? Was he allowed back on campus and back on the team? Was he charged with criminal assault? :eek:

Reaction Score
I took a look, can't find it anymore and wish I had saved it. When Nika broke Sue's assist record, there was a post of the two of them; Sue taken when she set the record, and Nika when she broke it. Same uniforms, but what a world of difference. Sue is wearing her uniform, socks and sneakers. Nika is wearing the uniform, double ankle braces, knee pads, has a wrist wrapped, and if I remember correctly, an elbow sleeve.
FqD8O0WWcAAul5O.jpeg

Here's the picture you referred to.

Reaction Score
Throughout the season Geno and others have been questioning how womens basketball is morphing towards an increase in rough, physical play and whether that is a positive or a negative. It looks like womens lacrosse is going through the same thing. Here's a quote from the North Carolina coach

“We continue to ALLOW intentional fouling that is meant to disrupt, stop play, run the shot clock, and disrupt to a point that it is dangerous and unsafe to players who are NOT in EQUIPMENT,”

Here's the entire article. I like the idea of having a serious inquiry about the future of the game rather than drifting into a different type of play

Just watched Cornell defeat Yale, 14-12. Beautiful game, fluid, fast, comprehensible movement, limited contact, skills featured over any bumping and thumping. Refs called a tight game. Players knew what was expected and played accordingly.

Reaction Score
Grabbing, holding and body checking are the great equalizers. If you have a quick player who moves well without the ball you have the advantage unless the other team is allowed to hold. Players like Lou and Dorka are not built to play the physical brand and they are forced to do it they are required to play a completely different game than they one that is their strength. I saw a lot of teams that just went big and slow because they were allowed to foul at will.
... big... slow... and deep benchs... with plenty of fouls to give... Just throw it up and bull after it. Easy to click to something else... Magnum reruns?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
One of the major problems is the inconsistency between conferences. I don’t know what the fix for that would be, but I think it has to involve some level of consistent training and review to stop the “bully ball” era of women’s basketball. Nobody wants to see that mess in basketball again. People that do are free to watch football instead.
Well for starters we need 1 or possibly 2 additional refs whose primary responsibility would be to prowl up and down the sideline watching for fouls that impede movement. The harsh reality is that it’s easier to teach players to do subtle bumps or momentarily grabbing a player just enough to prevent them from getting around a defender. A few weeks ago I posted the idea that one rule change needed is that any defender reaching into the “personal space” (defined as the within the diameter of the ball) of the player with the ball is an automatic foul. The job of officials is difficult enough but expecting officials to detect whether a player’s arms were slapped or just the ball from a distance of 20’ is nearly impossible. If a player is holding the ball out away from their body the officials at least have a chance to tell the difference but when the ball is held close to the body it’s just too much to expect officials to see whether the player was hacked. I think its gotten to the point where officials just let the slapping and hacking go unless it beyond obvious.

Reaction Score
The issue is many Women's sites accepted the rough play. Yes they are only FAN's but FAN have driven the Mens game to what it is. The shot clock loved by many is still a thorn in my side. The GAME as designed by the Springfield Canadian--was NON-Contact--the game has drifted very far from the concept. Yes the ball is more lively, the kids more talented, but basketball isn't football or soccer or wrestling (Ok at times you can't tell the difference

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom