Rothstein: UConn and Big East have had discussions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rothstein: UConn and Big East have had discussions

Reaction Score
I'm still hearing SNY is a wild card for us in conjunction with BE membership. Not sure what level of agreement we would have with them or how much it would pay but I'm told it is very compelling when compared to staying in the American under current conditions.

Reaction Score
The end of the current media deal for the American has got to be w/in 3 years of renewal ( I thought they signed a 6 year deal ) ... so if there are discussions with the BE / American on a split, it must be looking out to that point. Why pay an exit fee to leave a year or two earlier when they could wait and exit with no penalty?

UCONN does have some leverage when you look 2 or 3 years out; and Aresco can evaluate how to go to market with or without UCONN football in order to determine whether it makes sense for them to allow partial membership.

Reaction Score
indeed, just found this snippet from AAC: TV deal is with ESPN, CBS Sports:

"Last year, the American Athletic Conference inked a seven-year, $126 million TV contract with ESPN for rights to telecast the league’s games, primarily football and basketball. The deal runs through the 2019-20 season."

Reaction Score
I actually think there is a win / win for UCONN and the AAC ... UCONN stays in the AAC for football for the next media contract, moves the rest of its sports to the BE. They essentially play for free in the American, allowing that conference to split their contract 11 ways instead of 12. UCONN keeps it's football in a viable conference, the American gets a better alternative than So Miss and splitting the pot a 12th way. Win / Win.

Reaction Score
My guess is we are letting a few parties (the AAC, ESPN, possibly other conference's and broadcast outlets) know that we do have options.

The problem arises if they call our bluff.

They already have. AFter you get called once, the odds of ever being successful with this strategy plummet.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing any consultant would tell Herst and DB that selling home games is more lucrative and perhaps the only way to keep the program solvent. Basically, the current math doesn't work as UConn is not getting 30k to their games, never mind 40k. Selling a home game to BC for $1.1M makes sense financially. Go indy, play five home games and get checks to go play good teams on the road is a better option than the AAC is with a full home schedule. Tehre is almost no scenario where Uconn is going to generate interest in the football program short of joining the ACC or B10, neither of which is happening.

consultants also refer to this as a death spiral

The death spiral would be taking a football schedule that guaranties you always end up with a winning record.

We can increase attendance in football materially by winning. Period. It will never in this conference be back to what we drew before HCRE left, but it will be a lot better than it is now if we start playing competitive football again.

Reaction Score
The death spiral would be taking a football schedule that guaranties you always end up with a winning record.

We can increase attendance in football materially by winning. Period. It will never in this conference be back to what we drew before HCRE left, but it will be a lot better than it is now if we start playing competitive football again.
I don't know BL...the quality of teams top to bottom in the AAC is better than it was in the BE. It's just not regional anymore so it's hard to swallow. If the product put on the field is anything close to what Lashlee and Crocker talked about yesterday the Rent will be full again.

Reaction Score
I don't know BL..the quality of teams top to bottom in the AAC is better than it was in the BE. It's just not regional anymore so it's hard to swallow. If the product put on the field is anything close to what Lashlee and Crocker talked about yesterday the Rent will be full again.

I hope so. And I don't think the quality difference is large. But we are not in a league with an automatic BCS bid and we are not in a league with as large a number of regional rivals. I don't see why those factors wouldn't harm attendance.

But that's all irrelevant to can we draw more than we are drawing now if we start winning again.

Reaction Score
I just heard we are joining the Big East for all sports except football. The football team will replace the San Diego Chargers in the NFL.

Reaction Score
For this to happen it must be UConn in the AAC for football only. Independence doesn't make sense because of bowl alliances not to mention scheduling and not being able to compete for a championship of any kind.
If UConn turns around it's football program than the AAC would be insane to throw us out
A winning program in the media markets we are in increases the value of the whole conference
That a big IF

Reaction Score
I'm still hearing SNY is a wild card for us in conjunction with BE membership. Not sure what level of agreement we would have with them or how much it would pay but I'm told it is very compelling when compared to staying in the American under current conditions.

Can you provide (or ask) for more details?

Reaction Score
Can you provide (or ask) for more details?

I just know an actuary from college who is an advertising analyst that does work with SNY. He says SNY would bid on all UConn football and basketball available to them. In the case of football, SNY would buy UConn games if they went independent and that the games would be worth enough in conjunction with Big East money to make leaving the AAC feasible. However, he doesn't think either side would do it unless we have a solid scheduling plan that is appealing or an alliance with a major conference. He does not know that serious talks have happened, only that SNY is clear that they are interested in buying whatever they can get.

UConn getting a solid deal from SNY for a period of years would up the profile of the school a lot. In essence, it would prove our worth in a quantifiable way for everyone to see. That is something we've been dying for. I am still of the opinion that winning in football and basketball and getting our tier 3 rights back while staying in the AAC is the best scenario for us now. However, at a minimum, SNY will give us a bargaining chip.

Reaction Score
It would seem that UConn content also might be sought by the YES Network....If UConn could schedule BE and ACC opponents, it would fit right in with their present coverage....and even if UConn had other than ACC/BE opponents, the coverage seems like a good fit...

The YES announcement of a couple of years back....

The YES Network, the most-watched regional sports network in the country the past 10 years, has reached an agreement with FOX Sports Media Group by which YES will televise live Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball and football games and Big East basketball games beginning this fall. As part of the deal, YES will televise up to 10 ACC football games and up to 23 men's ACC basketball games, as well as select women's basketball and Olympic sports.

Wouldn't Uconn be a good fit for the YES?

Reaction Score
I'm putting this in this thread: Sirius radio host Chris Childers is a moron. As I was driving to a Noon meeting, I was listening to his show with co-host Rick Neuheisel. They had just interviewed Rothstein on NCAA Tournament bids. After returning from break at 11:55 a.m., Childers started spewing his uneducated venom. "If the Big East comes calling, UConn should just tell Randy Edsall & the football team to take a hike. UConn is a national brand in basketball, it's a basketball school" yada.yada. yada. Nueheisel chimed in that UConn was a victim of CR, portraying the University as the kid who gets left at the curb as the bus pulls away. Childers blathered on that the Huskies either dissolve football or move down to FCS level, citing Villanova as an example. He felt that UConn had no business competing at FBS level & should just concentrate on hoops. Again:MORON!

Reaction Score
BE for basketball...ACC and others scheduled for indy football....good for NY area coverage..

Downside...Bowl Access....no championship to vie for in FB

Reaction Score
BE for basketball...ACC and others scheduled for indy football....good for NY area coverage..

Downside...Bowl Access....no championship to vie for in FB
You show me 8 guaranteed ACC games and 2-3 Guaranteed B1G games EVERY year and I have no problem conceding that UConn should go Indy. But that's NOT gonna happen so dreamers can dream!

Reaction Score
Nope..it ain't going to happen...with the B1G at nine conference games and the ACC tied up with the SEC and Notre Dame....

A schedule might look more like that of UMass...some toughies and some not so tough.

Hawaii
Coastal Carolina
Old Dominion
Temple
Tennessee
Ohio
USF
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Mississippi State
Maine
BYU

Programs are looking for teams willing to travel for money...thus UMass has played away against BYU, the Gators, South Carolina...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope..it ain't going to happen...with the B1G at nine conference games and the ACC tied up with the SEC and Notre Dame....

A schedule might look more like that of UMass...some toughies and some not so tough.

Hawaii
Coastal Carolina
Old Dominion
Temple
Tennessee
Ohio
USF
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Mississippi State
Maine
BYU

Programs are looking for teams willing to travel for money...thus UMass has played away against BYU, the Gators, South Carolina...
So guess what...that slate won't make UConn dirt...add that to a buyout they will owe the AAC and it's a death sentence for the athletic department. But what do you care...you have Tallahassee to focus on.

Reaction Score
Commissioner Mike Aresco Believes UConn Will Stay With AAC

Commissioner Mike Aresco expressed confidence in UConn's long-term future as a member of the American Athletic Conference.

UConn athletic director David Benedict issued a statement on Wednesday, denying a report that discussions between his school and the Big East had taken place.

"We've heard rumors over the last year," said Aresco, who attended the UConn-Memphis men's basketball game on Thursday. "We don't know where that stuff comes from. I've been in touch with [UConn president] Susan Herbst and David Benedict throughout and they've been very loyal to the American. This makes perfect sense for them, because we're a big-time football conference and they need a home for football in addition to basketball, and we're not far away in basketball. We're going to be a good league. Yes, some of the rivalries still have to develop — but they will.

"I'm glad David came out with a statement. I think that was helpful. It doesn't help UConn or the conference when rumors like that start."

The Huskies are hosting the AAC men's tournament next month at the XL Center. On Thursday, the conference announced an agreement with Frontier Communications to be the title sponsor for both the men's and women's tournaments.

"Some of [the success of the tournament] is going to depend on how far UConn goes," Aresco said. "Two years ago [at XL] UConn played four games. Now, they're looking at a possible bye and we don't know who they'll play. That's always a factor. But with the competitiveness of the teams this year, I'm hoping we'll get some decent crowds for all the games."

Commissioner Mike Aresco Believes UConn Will Stay With AAC

Reaction Score
Disagree on the scheduling... For starters, here is what we have for future year opponents:

2017: VA, Missouri, BC
2018: Boise, Syra, UMass
2019: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
2020: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
So, 3 games against FBS teams. That is against the "constraint' of only being able to fill in around our AAC commitments.

Scheduling strategy: you want at least 3 or 4 attractive home games to put butts in seats; and hopefully one that can on its own drive some season ticket commitments. You want 3 or 4 very winnable games to position for a bowl game (i.e. you only have to win 3 others). A few high profile games that even though you are likely to lose you get a road game payday and some nice national/super-regional exposure. You play a couple of games (they could be within the other strategy categories noted) in rich recruiting grounds (i.e. FL, TX, VA,NJ, OH, PA, etc.). I might be missing an angle or two, but work with me on this...

We have to schedule 12 games with one against FCS (early season or mid-season "breather" game - pick one of the likes of Holy Cross, Maine, URI, Villanova, etc.. The rest come from the FBS:

2 from other Indies - pick from UMass, BYU, ND, and Army. Could be three-quarters of Army/UMass and one-quarter from BYU/ND.
1 from FL recruiting hot beds: FAU, FIU,
2 ACC: Syra, Pitt, BC, a "basketball school" that wants a marque series so we do a FB/BB deal (Wake, Ga Tech, NC State, UVA)
1- 2 Big 10: Ill. Indiana, Rutgers, MD. We have been approved by B10 as a P5 equivalent in their desire to upgrade their non-conference schedule so this seems reasonable to expect at least one a year going forward.
2-3 AAC: choose from Navy, Temple, USF, UCF, Cinn, ECU
1 from the SEC: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
1 from the Big 12: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
1-2 from the MAC: choose from the OH and MI schools.

Trying to be reasonable at a stab at the 'average" year":
Opponent/2016-2017 RPI
1. Maine / FCS
2. UMass / 119
3. Army / 90
4. FAU / 126
5. BC / 60
6. Wake Forest / 58
7. Rutgers / 102
8. Navy / 40
9. UCF / 81
10. Cinn / 103
11. Arkansas/Kentucky 46/49
12. Kansas / 114
Average RPI: 85 versus the average 2016-2017 UConn opponent RPI of 82. So, not a stretch to say we could bring this kind of schedule to fruition.

Butts in seats: Average home schedule (at the Rent): Maine, Army/Navy, UCF, Rutgers, Cinn, Kansas.
Neutral site game: BC/UMass (let's say Gillette) or one of the SEC/Big12/Big 10 games at Meadowlands/Yankee Stadium. Maybe this happens every other year or 2 out of 3 years.
My conclusion from a season ticket holder's perspective is that it is no worse than the last 5-10 years. Not much better either. So, it would have to get a bit better over the span of being an Indie.

I know there is a ton of other factors, but I don't think scheduling is the critical issue - I think it is on-field performance, which is what it is all about anyways... Get the W's and bowl games and people will show up at games and to watch on TV/online streaming.

Reaction Score
Disagree on the scheduling... For starters, here is what we have for future year opponents:

2017: VA, Missouri, BC
2018: Boise, Syra, UMass
2019: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
2020: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
So, 3 games against FBS teams. That is against the "constraint' of only being able to fill in around our AAC commitments.

Scheduling strategy: you want at least 3 or 4 attractive home games to put butts in seats; and hopefully one that can on its own drive some season ticket commitments. You want 3 or 4 very winnable games to position for a bowl game (i.e. you only have to win 3 others). A few high profile games that even though you are likely to lose you get a road game payday and some nice national/super-regional exposure. You play a couple of games (they could be within the other strategy categories noted) in rich recruiting grounds (i.e. FL, TX, VA,NJ, OH, PA, etc.). I might be missing an angle or two, but work with me on this...

We have to schedule 12 games with one against FCS (early season or mid-season "breather" game - pick one of the likes of Holy Cross, Maine, URI, Villanova, etc.. The rest come from the FBS:

2 from other Indies - pick from UMass, BYU, ND, and Army. Could be three-quarters of Army/UMass and one-quarter from BYU/ND.
1 from FL recruiting hot beds: FAU, FIU,
2 ACC: Syra, Pitt, BC, a "basketball school" that wants a marque series so we do a FB/BB deal (Wake, Ga Tech, NC State, UVA)
1- 2 Big 10: Ill. Indiana, Rutgers, MD. We have been approved by B10 as a P5 equivalent in their desire to upgrade their non-conference schedule so this seems reasonable to expect at least one a year going forward.
2-3 AAC: choose from Navy, Temple, USF, UCF, Cinn, ECU
1 from the SEC: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
1 from the Big 12: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
1-2 from the MAC: choose from the OH and MI schools.

Trying to be reasonable at a stab at the 'average" year":
Opponent/2016-2017 RPI
1. Maine / FCS
2. UMass / 119
3. Army / 90
4. FAU / 126
5. BC / 60
6. Wake Forest / 58
7. Rutgers / 102
8. Navy / 40
9. UCF / 81
10. Cinn / 103
11. Arkansas/Kentucky 46/49
12. Kansas / 114
Average RPI: 85 versus the average 2016-2017 UConn opponent RPI of 82. So, not a stretch to say we could bring this kind of schedule to fruition.

Butts in seats: Average home schedule (at the Rent): Maine, Army/Navy, UCF, Rutgers, Cinn, Kansas.
Neutral site game: BC/UMass (let's say Gillette) or one of the SEC/Big12/Big 10 games at Meadowlands/Yankee Stadium. Maybe this happens every other year or 2 out of 3 years.
My conclusion from a season ticket holder's perspective is that it is no worse than the last 5-10 years. Not much better either. So, it would have to get a bit better over the span of being an Indie.

I know there is a ton of other factors, but I don't think scheduling is the critical issue - I think it is on-field performance, which is what it is all about anyways... Get the W's and bowl games and people will show up at games and to watch on TV/online streaming.
First of all ND is out. You should read up on their scheduling agreement with the ACC, and then look at the "rivalry" games they play each year. When you do that you will realize that they have no spots left for a school like UConn. As for the other schools....dream on. What bowl games would come calling? being a independent means no tie-in's. ND get's their tie-in through the ACC.

Reaction Score
First of all ND is out. You should read up on their scheduling agreement with the ACC, and then look at the "rivalry" games they play each year. When you do that you will realize that they have no spots left for a school like UConn. As for the other schools....dream on. What bowl games would come calling? being a independent means no tie-in's. ND get's their tie-in through the ACC.
I'm not comparing UConn to ND - you are... If you read closely I assume nothing about ND (nor BYU for that matter).
In terms of the other schools, I don't think this is a dream as you state it. Schools have to play other FBS schools (no matter if conference affiliated or not) to up their RPI to get to bowl games/better bowl games - of which there will be less of in the future not more, so playing the sisters of the poor will no longer cut it like it has for the past few decades. Perhaps you could do some of your own research before using broad statements.
Again, I am not saying that UConn will go Indie, I am just saying it is more viable than some people think.

Reaction Score
I'm putting this in this thread: Sirius radio host Chris Childers is a moron. As I was driving to a Noon meeting, I was listening to his show with co-host Rick Neuheisel. They had just interviewed Rothstein on NCAA Tournament bids. After returning from break at 11:55 a.m., Childers started spewing his uneducated venom. "If the Big East comes calling, UConn should just tell Randy Edsall & the football team to take a hike. UConn is a national brand in basketball, it's a basketball school" yada.yada. yada. Nueheisel chimed in that UConn was a victim of CR, portraying the University as the kid who gets left at the curb as the bus pulls away. Childers blathered on that the Huskies either dissolve football or move down to FCS level, citing Villanova as an example. He felt that UConn had no business competing at FBS level & should just concentrate on hoops. Again:MORON!

They are not wrong... I think pretending to be a football school is jeopardizing basketball. UConn cannot risk becoming a non factor in basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom