Rothstein: UConn and Big East have had discussions

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by UConnStats, Feb 15, 2017.

1. IMind

IMind Wildly Inaccurate

He didn't deny that he was talking to the Big East at all. I'm standing by my Men's Lacrosse prediction from the other thread. ;)

2. AZHuskiePop

AZHuskiePop

If UConn turns around it's football program than the AAC would be insane to throw us out
    A winning program in the media markets we are in increases the value of the whole conference
    That a big IF

3. Stinger92860

Stinger92860

Can you provide (or ask) for more details?

shizzle787 likes this.
  4. Hoophound

Hoophound

I just know an actuary from college who is an advertising analyst that does work with SNY. He says SNY would bid on all UConn football and basketball available to them. In the case of football, SNY would buy UConn games if they went independent and that the games would be worth enough in conjunction with Big East money to make leaving the AAC feasible. However, he doesn't think either side would do it unless we have a solid scheduling plan that is appealing or an alliance with a major conference. He does not know that serious talks have happened, only that SNY is clear that they are interested in buying whatever they can get.

UConn getting a solid deal from SNY for a period of years would up the profile of the school a lot. In essence, it would prove our worth in a quantifiable way for everyone to see. That is something we've been dying for. I am still of the opinion that winning in football and basketball and getting our tier 3 rights back while staying in the AAC is the best scenario for us now. However, at a minimum, SNY will give us a bargaining chip.

5. billybud

billybud

It would seem that UConn content also might be sought by the YES Network....If UConn could schedule BE and ACC opponents, it would fit right in with their present coverage....and even if UConn had other than ACC/BE opponents, the coverage seems like a good fit...

The YES announcement of a couple of years back....

The YES Network, the most-watched regional sports network in the country the past 10 years, has reached an agreement with FOX Sports Media Group by which YES will televise live Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) basketball and football games and Big East basketball games beginning this fall. As part of the deal, YES will televise up to 10 ACC football games and up to 23 men's ACC basketball games, as well as select women's basketball and Olympic sports.

Wouldn't Uconn be a good fit for the YES?

6. coachcap

coachcap

I'm putting this in this thread: Sirius radio host Chris Childers is a moron. As I was driving to a Noon meeting, I was listening to his show with co-host Rick Neuheisel. They had just interviewed Rothstein on NCAA Tournament bids. After returning from break at 11:55 a.m., Childers started spewing his uneducated venom. "If the Big East comes calling, UConn should just tell Randy Edsall & the football team to take a hike. UConn is a national brand in basketball, it's a basketball school" yada.yada. yada. Nueheisel chimed in that UConn was a victim of CR, portraying the University as the kid who gets left at the curb as the bus pulls away. Childers blathered on that the Huskies either dissolve football or move down to FCS level, citing Villanova as an example. He felt that UConn had no business competing at FBS level & should just concentrate on hoops. Again:MORON!

UConn Dan and FDNY99 like this.
  7. billybud

billybud

BE for basketball...ACC and others scheduled for indy football....good for NY area coverage..

Downside...Bowl Access....no championship to vie for in FB

8. FDNY99

FDNY99

You show me 8 guaranteed ACC games and 2-3 Guaranteed B1G games EVERY year and I have no problem conceding that UConn should go Indy. But that's NOT gonna happen so dreamers can dream!

Drew, SBILL and LoyalFanCT like this.
  9. billybud

billybud

Nope..it ain't going to happen...with the B1G at nine conference games and the ACC tied up with the SEC and Notre Dame....

A schedule might look more like that of UMass...some toughies and some not so tough.

Hawaii
    Coastal Carolina
    Old Dominion
    Temple
    Tennessee
    Ohio
    USF
    Georgia Southern
    Appalachian State
    Mississippi State
    Maine
    BYU

Programs are looking for teams willing to travel for money...thus UMass has played away against BYU, the Gators, South Carolina...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  10. FDNY99

FDNY99

So guess what...that slate won't make UConn dirt...add that to a buyout they will owe the AAC and it's a death sentence for the athletic department. But what do you care...you have Tallahassee to focus on.

SBILL likes this.
  11. jostar1

jostar1

Commissioner Mike Aresco Believes UConn Will Stay With AAC

Commissioner Mike Aresco expressed confidence in UConn's long-term future as a member of the American Athletic Conference.

UConn athletic director David Benedict issued a statement on Wednesday, denying a report that discussions between his school and the Big East had taken place.

"We've heard rumors over the last year," said Aresco, who attended the UConn-Memphis men's basketball game on Thursday. "We don't know where that stuff comes from. I've been in touch with [UConn president] Susan Herbst and David Benedict throughout and they've been very loyal to the American. This makes perfect sense for them, because we're a big-time football conference and they need a home for football in addition to basketball, and we're not far away in basketball. We're going to be a good league. Yes, some of the rivalries still have to develop — but they will.

"I'm glad David came out with a statement. I think that was helpful. It doesn't help UConn or the conference when rumors like that start."

The Huskies are hosting the AAC men's tournament next month at the XL Center. On Thursday, the conference announced an agreement with Frontier Communications to be the title sponsor for both the men's and women's tournaments.

"Some of [the success of the tournament] is going to depend on how far UConn goes," Aresco said. "Two years ago [at XL] UConn played four games. Now, they're looking at a possible bye and we don't know who they'll play. That's always a factor. But with the competitiveness of the teams this year, I'm hoping we'll get some decent crowds for all the games."

Commissioner Mike Aresco Believes UConn Will Stay With AAC

12. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

Disagree on the scheduling... For starters, here is what we have for future year opponents:

2017: VA, Missouri, BC
    2018: Boise, Syra, UMass
    2019: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
    2020: Illinois, Indiana, UMass
    So, 3 games against FBS teams. That is against the "constraint' of only being able to fill in around our AAC commitments.

Scheduling strategy: you want at least 3 or 4 attractive home games to put butts in seats; and hopefully one that can on its own drive some season ticket commitments. You want 3 or 4 very winnable games to position for a bowl game (i.e. you only have to win 3 others). A few high profile games that even though you are likely to lose you get a road game payday and some nice national/super-regional exposure. You play a couple of games (they could be within the other strategy categories noted) in rich recruiting grounds (i.e. FL, TX, VA,NJ, OH, PA, etc.). I might be missing an angle or two, but work with me on this...

We have to schedule 12 games with one against FCS (early season or mid-season "breather" game - pick one of the likes of Holy Cross, Maine, URI, Villanova, etc.. The rest come from the FBS:

2 from other Indies - pick from UMass, BYU, ND, and Army. Could be three-quarters of Army/UMass and one-quarter from BYU/ND.
    1 from FL recruiting hot beds: FAU, FIU,
    2 ACC: Syra, Pitt, BC, a "basketball school" that wants a marque series so we do a FB/BB deal (Wake, Ga Tech, NC State, UVA)
    1- 2 Big 10: Ill. Indiana, Rutgers, MD. We have been approved by B10 as a P5 equivalent in their desire to upgrade their non-conference schedule so this seems reasonable to expect at least one a year going forward.
    2-3 AAC: choose from Navy, Temple, USF, UCF, Cinn, ECU
    1 from the SEC: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
    1 from the Big 12: again, use BB as scheduling leverage for FB series
    1-2 from the MAC: choose from the OH and MI schools.

Trying to be reasonable at a stab at the 'average" year":
    Opponent/2016-2017 RPI
    1. Maine / FCS
    2. UMass / 119
    3. Army / 90
    4. FAU / 126
    5. BC / 60
    6. Wake Forest / 58
    7. Rutgers / 102
    8. Navy / 40
    9. UCF / 81
    10. Cinn / 103
    11. Arkansas/Kentucky 46/49
    12. Kansas / 114
    Average RPI: 85 versus the average 2016-2017 UConn opponent RPI of 82. So, not a stretch to say we could bring this kind of schedule to fruition.

Butts in seats: Average home schedule (at the Rent): Maine, Army/Navy, UCF, Rutgers, Cinn, Kansas.
    Neutral site game: BC/UMass (let's say Gillette) or one of the SEC/Big12/Big 10 games at Meadowlands/Yankee Stadium. Maybe this happens every other year or 2 out of 3 years.
    My conclusion from a season ticket holder's perspective is that it is no worse than the last 5-10 years. Not much better either. So, it would have to get a bit better over the span of being an Indie.

I know there is a ton of other factors, but I don't think scheduling is the critical issue - I think it is on-field performance, which is what it is all about anyways... Get the W's and bowl games and people will show up at games and to watch on TV/online streaming.

13. FDNY99

FDNY99

First of all ND is out. You should read up on their scheduling agreement with the ACC, and then look at the "rivalry" games they play each year. When you do that you will realize that they have no spots left for a school like UConn. As for the other schools....dream on. What bowl games would come calling? being a independent means no tie-in's. ND get's their tie-in through the ACC.

TerryD and dwalks93 like this.
  14. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

I'm not comparing UConn to ND - you are... If you read closely I assume nothing about ND (nor BYU for that matter).
    In terms of the other schools, I don't think this is a dream as you state it. Schools have to play other FBS schools (no matter if conference affiliated or not) to up their RPI to get to bowl games/better bowl games - of which there will be less of in the future not more, so playing the sisters of the poor will no longer cut it like it has for the past few decades. Perhaps you could do some of your own research before using broad statements.
    Again, I am not saying that UConn will go Indie, I am just saying it is more viable than some people think.

15. TyroneShoo

TyroneShoo

They are not wrong... I think pretending to be a football school is jeopardizing basketball. UConn cannot risk becoming a non factor in basketball.

Who Ha likes this.
  16. FDNY99

FDNY99

You most certainly did mention ND..you put them in your group of "Indie" schools! It's Indy by the way. I'm not doing anything...you put ND on your list...you get my response! Here is the deal..if UConn leaves the AAC there is no way in hell that they get "qualified" as a opponent for the P-5 conferences. That means they basically get classified as a non-P-5 or FCS level opponent. It also means it will be hard to fill in a schedule...don't believe me take a close look at how hard it is for UMass and BYU. I don't get guys like you..let's go Indy in football...leave the AAC and not come up with a solid plan where the buyout $$ will come from. But hey it makes for good posts in here so it may as well be a good idea. You sound like a disgruntled hoops fan who wants nothing more than to get back old rivalries even if it means getting back into bed with the exact same schools that left the football playing schools. And for the record I too and a season ticket holder.

17. coachcap

coachcap

You have to listen to the segment. Childers ended his spew with "UConn wasn't even playing FBS 1-A football 10 years ago". He is a lifelong avowed Notre Dame fan who attended Middle Tennessee State for college. His ongoing agenda is to push for separation of the P-5 from the G-5 with G-5 having its own playoffs and, in essence, becoming the new Division 1-AA.

18. coachcap

coachcap

And it's not pretention. UConn wants to become an excellent football school. Your assumption that football will jeopardize basketball is grossly inaccurate.

19. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

Indy in football is a 100% nonstarter as is the MAC/C-USA. If we have to go either route, moving to the Big East is a terrible idea.

junglehusky and FDNY99 like this.
  20. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

We can agree to disagree... I did list ND as an Indie (to me Indy is the 500 or the city in Indiana, lol) but I did not assume we would be able to schedule them at all. And, yes, I did look into the BYU and UMass schedules and because I believe is more comparable to BYU than UMass I think they can schedule more like BYU than UMass.

You make a lot of assumptions about scheduling classifications and base everything off of that. Can you enlighten me about how classifications work?

Buyouts can happen in various ways (e.g. MD and others) and if there is motivation/$$ down the road then they can happen easily than what appears on the surface.

I am not disgruntled at all - I have UConn at a whole (athletically and academically) in my heart. We need to protect and grow the entire AD and I think the better outcome is ACC or B10 but those are not imminent and so I am thinking of alternative pathways to getting into one of them before I die, lol.

21. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

I don't think the thought is (or it at least shouldn't be) that football is the one jeopardizing basketball, it's the league we're in that's jeopardizing basketball. The AAC is a good home for our football program right now and one where we can build a solid reputation against good competition in the hopes of snagging a P5 spot down the line.

The AAC is a terrible home for our basketball program and has moved us back in stature to a glorified mid-major. It's harmed attendance, likely hindered recruiting, and has definitely affected our NCAA Tournament seeding. At best, the AAC is the 7th best league in the country. The previous three years it finished 8th in conference RPI. Realistically, SMU, Temple, Memphis, and Cincinnati are good but unspectacular programs. The rest of the league is complete garbage. ECU, Tulane, Houston, USF, UCF, and Tulsa are horrible programs that are no better than those you'd find in the CUSA or WCC. This isn't the competition UConn basketball deserves to be playing against regularly. That's not to say we haven't shot ourselves in the foot a bunch of times losing to them, but playing those teams regularly without any true blue blood programs who are regular national contenders at the top of the league devalues our place in the college basketball world and is moving us back to the level of a formerly great program in a mid-major conference.

CTFAN4LIFE likes this.
  22. FDNY99

FDNY99

The P-5 schools have approved schools from the AAC and other G-5 schools as opponents because they are eligible to make the Playoff (will it ever happen...I don't think so...IMHO Houston had the lone shot this year and couldn't pull it off by going undefeated). BYU has had a tough time with this. Bowl tie-in's are also going to be a major issue as well. Look the AAC isn't a ideal conference what-so-ever. But it is what it is. Football wise it is better top to bottom than the old BE except aside from Temple and Navy it lacks regional rivals. The Catholic schools bailed on the football schools and created this issue not the other way around. Going Indy, joining the NBE and paying buyout $$ to the AAC isn't the way to solidify the AD for the future. The way to do that is what DB is doing now, hire a coach who has had success on the football field and knows how to win at a school like UConn, invest in facilities that haven't had a dime put into them, and use basketball to schedule high end doc opponents.

dwalks93 likes this.
  23. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

I hear what you are saying and agree with a good bit of it, but where we differ is that I don't believe we can afford to risk decay of the men's BB program much longer because it has the greatest upside potential of any of our athletic programs to generate national prominence/respect/dollars. If we let that slip away (and it is certainly slipping to a very noticeable degree) in lieu of the AAC being the best place to park our FB program (which is debatable), then I think we risk seeing our greatest asset tumble and our FB program also being pedestrian as well. To get out of the predicament, we have to be willing to take a bit of a risk with FB and make sure that BB is on very solid ground. It's ok if we disagree. :)

FDNY99 likes this.
  24. FDNY99

FDNY99

My issue with hoops is this...outside of his NC run..Ollie hasn't been anything more than average. He needs to step it up. This year can be chalked up to the injury bug and is an aberration. Let's hope next year is another story.

CTFAN4LIFE likes this.
  25. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

That's not an unfair assessment - though his first year has to be thrown out, if not a feather in his hat for snagging 20 wins out of that team. 14-15 was definitely way below expectations, 15-16 was good but unspectacular. Though you have to wonder what our seed is if we have the same record coming out of the Big East instead of the AAC, I have to believe it's on the 6-7 line and we're not playing Kansas in the second round. Show me a 24-win Big East Tournament champion who was seeded ninth, I can't think of one. We'll see what he can pull out of the 7-8 guys he has this year, but the sum of all years comes out to on par with a lot of Calhoun's late 2000s-2010 teams. One enormous result, a couple of good ones, a couple of substandard ones.

FDNY99 likes this.
  26. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

I have my doubts about the Assistants on this staff. Jury is out on Kevin. The next 18 months will be very key to knowing.

FDNY99 likes this.
  27. FDNY99

FDNY99

Cant be put any better than this!

CTFAN4LIFE likes this.
  28. gampelcrazies

gampelcrazies

Not saying it's going to happen but I believe that UConn will be in the New Big East for basketball and AAC for football in the future.

29. upstater

upstater

To knowing what? KO just signed a new 5 year contract.

UConn Dan and gampelcrazies like this.
  30. CTFAN4LIFE

CTFAN4LIFE

To knowing whether he can sustain national prominence (given the uphill battle of being in the AAC).