Rothstein Tweet after attending practice.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein Tweet after attending practice....

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
95% of his fans/followers don't follow UConn as closely as we do. His video message is noteworthy because we have been terrible since 2016.
My point is we've been picked in the top 5 of the conference pretty consistently. The Big East is getting 5 teams in. So he hasn't upped the ante on us from any other pundit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mmm the BE is pretty much this:

Tier 1: Nova
Tier 2: Creighton
Tier 3: UConn, Seton, PC

So 3-5 is basically a toss up.

I suppose that is presumptively true, but I don't think we really know. Haven't seen the team play with Cole, without Vital, with slimmer Josh, beefier Gaff and Bouk, there has been a pretty major transformation of the roster. Even a 20 pounds lighter Sanogo changes things significantly. I think people are sleeping on the new, stronger Akok. If he is back, stronger and better than before in the spring, this team is potentially crazy dangerous.

In essence, we have fallen short of expectations consistently, and have been riddled with injuries for 4-5 years now. So I think there is an abundance of caution being applied to this squad by the analysts. These predictions are pretty much the floor for this team. I consider 5th place the worst we can finish if a lot goes wrong.

Reaction Score
Mmm the BE is pretty much this:

Tier 1: Nova
Tier 2: Creighton
Tier 3: UConn, Seton, PC

So 3-5 is basically a toss up.
If this is true, then Creighton must be pretty damn good. Since preseason rankings are all speculative and based on paper rosters, it’s hard to imagine they have a team that is better than ours before a game is even played. Maybe they do?

With all due respect to Creighton, we have at least 3 future NBA draft picks on our roster (Bouknight, Jackson, Akok). Is Creighton’s backcourt really stronger than the Gaffney and Cole duo? Do they have ultra-athletic wings that can compete with Bouk and Jackson? Do they have proven big men like Whaley and Akok? How deep is their team? Do they have guys like Sanogo, Polley, Carlton and Adams coming off the bench?

I haven’t watched much of Creighton over the years, so maybe I need to take my Husky goggles off. But it certainly feels like America is sleeping on us. I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve had some horrendous teams over the past 6 years, but we are absolutely loaded this season.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If this is true, then Creighton must be pretty damn good. Since preseason rankings are all speculative and based on paper rosters, it’s hard to imagine they have a team that is better than ours before a game is even played. Maybe they do?

With all due respect to Creighton, we have at least 3 future NBA draft picks on our roster (Bouknight, Jackson, Akok). Is Creighton’s backcourt really stronger than the Gaffney and Cole duo? Do they have ultra-athletic wings that can compete with Bouk and Jackson? Do they have proven big men like Whaley and Akok? How deep is their team? Do they have guys like Sanogo, Polley, Carlton and Adams coming off the bench?

I haven’t watched much of Creighton over the years, so maybe I need to take my Husky goggles off. But it certainly feels like America is sleeping on us. I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve had some horrendous teams over the past 6 years, but we are absolutely loaded this season.
Agree. We have a lot of new pieces and as @HuskyHawk points out a poor recent history. I think we will make a pretty loud statement this year, but right now we are unproven.

(Still doomed.)

Reaction Score

My dad used to say “ wait till they get on the court” when I got hyped preseason. We need chemistry- we need everyone healthy -and we could be really good. But there are teams like Creighton ( can we find a BY approved abbreviation for this school?) have chemistry and are a known quantity. Besides I like coming in under the radar.

Reaction Score
The one thing that has killed us since Boat's departure, and should be at the top of everyone's list, is can we avoid serious injuries. We have been utterly destroyed by injuries the last few years. Gilbert twice, Larrier, Polley, Akok, Durham, Mamadou's career, the list goes on and on. This is basketball, not football. Most seasons you should be able to play without serious injuries. When will we have a turn to try that?

What made last year special is that we seemed to turn the corner AFTER season ending injuries to two starters on a roster that only went into the season with ten bodies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Creighton is really good. Losing Alexander to the pros hurts a lot, he was a productive player for them. But they basically return their entire team. They have the preseason Big East POY and possible All American in Marcus Zegarowski. We’ve seen over the years what having an elite guard can do. Every time he suits up, he is likely the best player on the court. They have other really good shooters like Mitchell Ballock who is a sniper.

Other than UConn, I watch Creighton play the most as one of my buddies went there, so we watch a lot of their games. They can really shoot it. They shot nearly 39% from 3, they’re deadly from there. Don’t get me wrong, they can be beaten. But they’re considered the second best for a reason, we’ll need to play very sound defense and close out well from 3 if we want to beat them.

Reaction Score
My dad used to say “ wait till they get on the court” when I got hyped preseason. We need chemistry- we need everyone healthy -and we could be really good. But there are teams like Creighton ( can we find a BY approved abbreviation for this school?) have chemistry and are a known quantity. Besides I like coming in under the radar.
Fair enough, can’t argue that.

If Creighton fans are reading this, I mean no disrespect to your team in my previous statement. I fully understand that Creighton is legit and I’m genuinely excited for our matchup. I’m certainly not comparing them to Tulsa, Tulane or ECU.

It’s a breath of fresh air to be in the same conversation with competitive Big East schools again, rather than teams in the “rising” AAC dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
I think Seton Hall is being overrated. Losing McKnight, Powell, and Gill is huge.

Reaction Score
My point is we've been picked in the top 5 of the conference pretty consistently. The Big East is getting 5 teams in. So he hasn't upped the ante on us from any other pundit.

Right but only we as UConn fans follow where UConn is being picked in preseason. Rothstein has a major following so it may seem like old news to us but his audience of college basketball enthusiasts probably are hearing for the first time that UConn is BACK.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Right but only we as UConn fans follow where UConn is being picked in preseason. Rothstein has a major following so it may seem like old news to us but his audience of college basketball enthusiasts probably are hearing for the first time that UConn is BACK.
Understand you better now, thanks.

Reaction Score
I’m confident we’re going to be really good. Idk why but this team just feels different.

The team is loaded with talent and we have a very good coach. Of course it feels different.

Reaction Score
Unless I am missing something, coach Hurley's highest national ranking was 16 with RI. Is it possible that this team potentially is the most talented that he has ever had? Might there be a period this season that we are ranked higher than 16? How would we stack up against his RI team?

Reaction Score
Unless I am missing something, coach Hurley's highest national ranking was 16 with RI. Is it possible that this team potentially is the most talented that he has ever had? Might there be a period this season that we are ranked higher than 16? How would we stack up against his RI team?

This is definitely the most talented team he has ever coached 1-15. He coached JR Smith and some other studs in HS that have higher ceilings but this team is for sure more talented than his RI squads.

I think at some point this year we will be sniffing the top 10-15 range

Reaction Score

If you’re talking a combination of talent and potential, then yes, the current roster is probably the best. He had a couple of guys from Rhode Island get some minutes in the NBA but none were projected like a few of the current guys. The 17-18 team was ranked higher, but the 16-17 URI team, once it got healthy, was really good... a deep, well-rounded team that was so close to beating eventual Final Four team Oregon. That team had veteran talent (Iverson, Martin, Matthews, Terrell), while the current roster will primarily go as far as the younger talent takes them.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think at some point this year we will be sniffing the top 10-15 range
I think we have enough talent for this. I also think if things don't mesh we way we want them to we could live the season outside the top 25. It's going to be interesting!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This team has more individual talent than that URI team had. Whether it will be a better team, however, remains to be seen. We played well below our talent level for a number of years now, the second half of last year being an exception.'

Reaction Score
BACK isn’t getting the 5th bid. And a 12 seed in a 5 bid legacy league. BACK is kicking the heck out of everybody and being talked about as a tournament favorite. But given our years in the wilderness we look to be making our way back to relevance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom