Rothstein on Sanogo | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Sanogo

C

Chief00

I think everyone’s offensive game is going to benefit by better movement and more offensive options.
The shooter’s job is to position in a sweet spot and be ready with hands, feet and eyes. The distributor’s job is to get it to the right guy, at the right time with an accurate pass that flows into a shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The shooter’s job is to position in a sweet spot and be ready with hands, feet and eyes. The distributor’s job is to get it to the right guy, at the right time with an accurate pass that flows into a shot.

That duo of fhooter positioned and ready in triple threat and PG delivering on time in the right spot was what directly corresponded to Bouk's offensive improvement. Also corresponded to a true PG, Gaff, delivering it to Bouk.

No different than a QB and WR relationship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bouknight, Cole and Polley are our only proven outside shooters. The minutes for everyone will depend on who else can knock down shots. You can’t spread the court, if you can’t knock down shots. My hope is that guy becomes Jackson. If no one really emerges early Martin will get more time than some think.
I do agree that a team needs a backstop to be able to play aggressive defense. Akok and Brown (due to length) are our shot blockers. Sanogo can be a backstop from a physical horizontal perspective.
With improved ball movement there should be more open perimeter looks. I see Jalen Gaffney stepping up as another reliable three ball shooter, and looking to score in other ways also. Jalen's going to put some points up this year. Hurley has stated that his play is really a vital part of this team's overall offense.

C

Chief00

That duo of fhooter positioned and ready in triple threat and PG delivering on time in the right spot was what directly corresponded to Bouk's offensive improvement. Also corresponded to a true PG, Gaff, delivering it to Bouk.

No different than a QB and WR relationship.
Totally agree on that. Mr. Gaffney.

Reaction Score
With improved ball movement there should be more open perimeter looks. I see Jalen Gaffney stepping up as another reliable three ball shooter, and looking to score in other ways also. Jalen's going to put some points up this year. Hurley has stated that his play is really a vital part of this team's overall offense.
With defenses wanting to take Bouk "out of the game".. Focusing on him.. There will be plenty of opportunities for the other four guys on the floor to have shots.. Their ability to make them will dictate game flow/strategy by opposing teams.. Once they're making their shots.. Can't focus on Bouk..Bouk can then do his thing.. Off to the races..Ball movement sets the table for everything on offense.. Thought Gaff did an excellent job of being coachable and doing what the coach wanted done on the floor.. Unlike some of our other ballhandlers in 2019 season..

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This. Lots of times especially early last year we over penetrated and when we did dish it was the guys who weren’t in a position to shoot. We had to create on the fly and chuck up low percentage shots. This year, I think, we are going to be much more efficient in running our offense delivering the ball to shooters in the right spot and delivering it in a place that makes the shot easier. If that happens, everyone becomes a better shooter this year.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With defenses wanting to take Bouk "out of the game".. Focusing on him.. There will be plenty of opportunities for the other four guys on the floor to have shots.. Their ability to make them will dictate game flow/strategy by opposing teams.. Once they're making their shots.. Can't focus on Bouk..Bouk can then do his thing.. Off to the races..Ball movement sets the table for everything on offense.. Thought Gaff did an excellent job of being coachable and doing what the coach wanted done on the floor.. Unlike some of our other ballhandlers in 2019 season..

Can't wait for the first "Hurley should use Bouk as a decoy because other teams will be focusing on Bouk" analysis from this board.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the first "Hurley should use Bouk as a decoy because other teams will be focusing on Bouk" analysis from this board.
Not going there.. He's too good/too smart.. We have more offensive weapons than in the recent past so I can't see a sustained focus on Bouk being successful.... Understand Yarders concerns about 3 pt shooting.. We will have plenty of ways to put the ball in the basket.. However...If I was an opposing coach.. I would want my 5 guys to know where Bouk was at all times.. Stating the obvious ..Of course..

C

Chief00

This. Lots of times especially early last year we over penetrated and when we did dish it was the guys who weren’t in a position to shoot. We had to create on the fly and chuck up low percentage shots. This year, I think, we are going to be much more efficient in running our offense delivering the ball to shooters in the right spot and delivering it in a place that makes the shot easier. If that happens, everyone becomes a better shooter this year.
AG would only pass in these circumstances if he couldn’t get a shot off or was stumbling after losing his dribble. Then it was a matter of getting it to anyone anywhere without any deep thoughts about the shot. True, given all this, shooters checked out and if they inexplicably actually got a decent pass - they were not prepared.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not going there.. He's too good/too smart.. We have more offensive weapons than in the recent past so I can't see a sustained focus on Bouk being successful.... Understand Yarders concerns about 3 pt shooting.. We will have plenty of ways to put the ball in the basket.. However...If I was an opposing coach.. I would want my 5 guys to know where Bouk was at all times.. Stating the obvious ..Of course..

Wasn't accusing you of it. There is a large delta between saying "Hey, there's an Arby's" and "Hey, let's go eat at that Arby's".

Reaction Score
Not specifically as a decoy, but establishing other options early in the game opens up opportunities for Bouk as the other team compensates and wears down.

Reaction Score
Wasn't accusing you of it. There is a large delta between saying "Hey, there's an Arby's" and "Hey, let's go eat at that Arby's".
Speaking of Arby's..Will the Dunkin'Donuts Center be renamed now that Arbys-Buffalo Wild Wings has bought Dunkin'Donuts??Maybe Buffalo Wild Wings Center of Providence??

CL82

Reaction Score
Speaking of Arby's..Will the Dunkin'Donuts Center be renamed now that Arbys-Buffalo Wild Wings has bought Dunkin'Donuts??Maybe Buffalo Wild Wings Center of Providence??
Lol I just posted the same thing. My guess is the name will be “the Arb.”

Reaction Score
PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouk (30), Adams (5), Gaffney (5)
SF: Martin (20), Jackson (20)
PF: Polley (20), Akok (15), Whaley (5)
C: Whaley (15), Sanogo (15), Carlton (10)

Totals:
30- Bouk
25- Cole
20- Gaff, Martin, Jackson, Polley, Whaley
15- Akok, Sanogo
10- Carlton
5- Adams

Reaction Score
What it is

Reaction Score
I look at the immense improvement of freshman to sophomores over the years at UCONN. I take a jaded view of optimistic impressions of freshman because they always have seemed to underperform the first year from expectations. I see Adama as the first sub for Carlton in the beginning. I am hopeful that Josh can show some improvement with the weight loss because we will need him and Adama to play well otherwise opposing defenses will collapse and put too much pressure on our guards.

Reaction Score
PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouk (30), Adams (5), Gaffney (5)
SF: Martin (20), Jackson (20)
PF: Polley (20), Akok (15), Whaley (5)
C: Whaley (15), Sanogo (15), Carlton (10)

Totals:
30- Bouk
25- Cole
20- Gaff, Martin, Jackson, Polley, Whaley
15- Akok, Sanogo
10- Carlton
5- Adams
Springs?
Brown?

and in my humble useless opinion...
Stop sleeping on Badams

Reaction Score
Springs?
Brown?

and in my humble useless opinion...
Stop sleeping on Badams

Hurley loves Brendan Adams. He played more than expected in his first 2 seasons. But he’s been injured and the team has much more talent overall so my guess is that he doesn’t play as much in the beginning of the season but will play more later on.

Reaction Score
Hurley loves Brendan Adams. He played more than expected in his first 2 seasons. But he’s been injured and the team has much more talent overall so my guess is that he doesn’t play as much in the beginning of the season but will play more later on.

I view Badams/Gaffney as the glue to this team. Bouk is the leader, but I think Badams/gaff will keep the train on the tracks so to speak.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think everyone is sleeping on Carlton. Expect a big year from him especially when expectations are so low. He had a lot of pressure to perform last year imo
#thinjosh

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think everyone is sleeping on Carlton. Expect a big year from him especially when expectations are so low. He had a lot of pressure to perform last year imo
Someone has to get cut out of the front court rotation. All indications are that Sanogo is dominating in practice and will play major minutes. Snow, who is one of the better insiders, predicts he will be Big East freshman of the year. Those minutes will come from Carlton for sure. I think he may be the odd man out.

Reaction Score
Someone has to get cut out of the front court rotation. All indications are that Sanogo is dominating in practice and will play major minutes. Snow, who is one of the better insiders, predicts he will be Big East freshman of the year. Those minutes will come from Carlton for sure. I think he may be the odd man out.
My two cents and am not an insider..Until Akok returns to the lineup.. Between AS and IW..Can either of them give us productive minutes at the 4 position? The answer to that question will spill over into the number of minutes JC will get from game to game.. Allowing JC and one/or both of them to play the 4(at different times) while JC is playing the 5.. Akok's return will create more challenges for DH re: PT..Think Sanogo's challenger for Freshman of the Year might be one of his teammates.. Times have certainly changed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom