Rothstein on Hawkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Hawkins

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He didn't really say anything. But I hope that's the assistants way of hinting that Hawkins will beat expectations.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
so it's agreed all around to just give him tyler's minutes and roll the dice?
me too. sometimes, shooters get cranky on the floor when the ball just doesn't seem to come their way, so they take matters in their own hands, and just go get it, like a rebound, for example. or, to increase the sharing wonderfulness on the floor, they make the right pass, like an assist, for example.
boatright averaged over 4 boards pg his last season.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Akok was ranked higher than both, wasn't he? That injury set him back a year. I think he's gonna be that pleasant surprise folks forgot about
Akok’s ratings varied widely. One service had him as a 5 star at one point, another had him barely inside the top 100. Kind of a unique prospect that people were guessing on.

Reaction Score
The mindset that “the plan” now for an incoming player is one or two and done is concerning to Chief.
Chief has known and seen all the great ones and the thing about the really great ones coming in is that their “plan” is to win a National Championship and the draft slotting takes care of itself. Sure, draft lottery is their dream, but Coach use to say to the young guns, take care of business first.
The one year during the Calhoun era that did not happen was 2006 when too many players were focused on the draft, and we know the results. But, even given that, Rudy changed his mind and wanted to come back to win one but it was too late.
Drummond made $130M plus but Chief still believes 2 more years of college would have built the foundation for an even better pro career, but I also understood the unique circumstances with the Ban Year ahead.
With James, we discussed the situation and it was good MJ had the talk with him in Vegas about certain things that can remain private. Chief is hoping that MJ can give him some of the on/off court advice that another year of college maturity would have brought.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ignore the Rothstein aspect of this. The coaches are leaking that they are impressed with Hawkins. He's going to play a lot.

But probably 15 minutes to start, maybe 25 minutes a game by mid December, and 30+ by season's end. The Bouknight path. Maybe he gets to 20-25 minutes a game quicker since he hopefully won't have the pre-season incident.

But keep expectations reasonable. He's still a non-top 30 freshman. He's much more likely to be a guy who shows flashes on offense, makes some shots, and plays solid defense, than someone who takes over games or is a go-to guy.

No chance outside of significant injuries Hawkins averages 30 mpg over any five game stretch of the season. He may get 2-3 games total this season where he plays 30 mpg.

Which, by the way, may be true of every player on this roster. If there was a season long over/under on any player on UConn averaging 30 mpg and the over/under number was one, I'd take the under.

pj

Reaction Score
Akok’s ratings varied widely. One service had him as a 5 star at one point, another had him barely inside the top 100. Kind of a unique prospect that people were guessing on.

Akok in high school reminded me very much of Ajou Deng, another kid with great talent and great upside but also high development risk.

Didn't work out for Ajou, hopefully Akok does better. Injuries can be a huge factor for players like that, both through impairing athleticism and limiting playing experience.

Reaction Score
No chance outside of significant injuries Hawkins averages 30 mpg over any five game stretch of the season. He may get 2-3 games total this season where he plays 30 mpg.

Which, by the way, may be true of every player on this roster. If there was a season long over/under on any player on UConn averaging 30 mpg and the over/under number was one, I'd take the under.
As a freshman Bouk averaged 32 min over a 9 game stretch to close the year, but you're more likely right than wrong. This team is a lot deeper, although the 2 is where we are the least deep.

Reaction Score
Nah, the rankings varied a bit but nowhere near that dramatic. From #21-#39. His composite ranking was #30 when he committed to UConn.

The weird part of Akok's ranking was that it was basically based on one 5 game stretch during July (I think). He was terrible the rest of that AAU season...played more like that 70-100 rank he had before that.

He's inconsisteny with crazy high upside. We should have known it coming in but got excited by the ranking #s.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The weird part of Akok's ranking was that it was basically based on one 5 game stretch during July (I think). He was terrible the rest of that AAU season...played more like that 70-100 rank he had before that.

He's inconsisteny with crazy high upside. We should have known it coming in but got excited by the ranking #s.
His early season play didn't help with the hype either.

Reaction Score

The staff wanted Akok, which matters more to me than rankings. The thing about Akok is that only one chapter of his book has been written. I'm looking forward to him this season. We might, just might, see extraordinary things from him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The staff wanted Akok, which matters more to me than rankings. The thing about Akok is that only one chapter of his book has been written. I'm looking forward to him this season. We might, just might, see extraordinary things from him.
Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV

Reaction Score
Him and AJax feel like huge XFactors. Their develpement seem tied to our ceiling. We have some known experienced talent and we think Cole, Sanogo and Hawkins will be major factors. Akok and Ajax feel like the guys that could make a major difference or be major enigmas. I am hopeful for major difference but want to see it with my own eyes against real competition.

Reaction Score
He'll be our second leading scorer on a pretty balanced team, imo...

Reaction Score
The mindset that “the plan” now for an incoming player is one or two and done is concerning to Chief.
Chief has known and seen all the great ones and the thing about the really great ones coming in is that their “plan” is to win a National Championship and the draft slotting takes care of itself. Sure, draft lottery is their dream, but Coach use to say to the young guns, take care of business first.
The one year during the Calhoun era that did not happen was 2006 when too many players were focused on the draft, and we know the results. But, even given that, Rudy changed his mind and wanted to come back to win one but it was too late.
Drummond made $130M plus but Chief still believes 2 more years of college would have built the foundation for an even better pro career, but I also understood the unique circumstances with the Ban Year ahead.
With James, we discussed the situation and it was good MJ had the talk with him in Vegas about certain things that can remain private. Chief is hoping that MJ can give him some of the on/off court advice that another year of college maturity would have brought.
While I don’t disagree with the sentiment of taking care of business here as the number one objective times have certainly changed in the relatively short time since Calhoun left. If you don’t have a plan for how you are getting players to the league you most likely won’t be involved with most of these kids. I think we have to see how hurleys strategy plays out before we knock it too much. The two and done case only has one example right now.
Another two and done example for Calhoun was Caron. He probably could have cut the nets down if he came back as well. He had Calhouns blessing

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He'll be our second leading scorer on a pretty balanced team, imo...
So he's going to outscore either Sanogo or Cole in your mind? Which one? Because I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
I agree, most knowledgable obseververs recognize that last year was basically a write off recovery year given his injury. However, he will now be playing in a more crowded front court with Johnson in the mix.

Reaction Score
While I don’t disagree with the sentiment of taking care of business here as the number one objective times have certainly changed in the relatively short time since Calhoun left. If you don’t have a plan for how you are getting players to the league you most likely won’t be involved with most of these kids. I think we have to see how hurleys strategy plays out before we knock it too much. The two and done case only has one example right now.
Another two and done example for Calhoun was Caron. He probably could have cut the nets down if he came back as well. He had Calhouns blessing
If you take care of business, the draft takes care of itself. Caron’s Maryland game was exactly that type of effort despite the team losing.
Calhoun was always very candid and honest regarding if a player was ready.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom