Roster Thoughts (my inner dogmania) | The Boneyard

Roster Thoughts (my inner dogmania)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
by Napier- from everything we have read/heard he is the leader/floor general. He has big onions! That was obvious from the first Maui game when he got on the court. Seems like he put on some muscle and is a legit 6ft. his court vision is great. i tend to see it as almost Jason Kidd like. When he drives he puts his body in great position to make a dish but also leaves himself room to finish when needed. I am really thinking 7ast per game is not a stretch. He can make the three and i think he will get to the line some with his driving abilities through the pick and roll. His def is great but with just boat on the roster as the backup, he will have to watch his reach in fouls. We’re going to want him on the court for 30 minutes a game.

Boatshow-he is very important for those minutes where Bazz is on the bench. From the videos we have seen he has great hops and looks like he has a good shot on him. With all the weapons we have it will be key for him to develop chemistry in the passing game. He will not have to carry the load off the bench but were going to need him to have confidence in his ball handling at times. It may be exciting to see him and Bazz play together, but I don't think we will see much of it due to our depth at the 2/3/4 and our lack of depth at the 1. I think we may see JC let boat really push the ball up tempo when he is in. his speed and hops make me think he might be deadly to cover in up tempo fast breaks. If our big can hit the boards well and push the outlet passes quick, we may be off to the races with boat. Let’s see how the length of this team reflects on him and his passing/def capabilities.

Lamb Chops-kid developed into a shooter in the post season, my gosh. He has a pretty floater and I look for him to finish more aggressively around the rim this year. Some of those floaters/layups I think will turn into dunks/and 1's. He has length for a 2g that 99% of cb doesn't have. He is our go to guy late i think to start the season at least.

Gif- I think we’re going to see him more at the 2 then the 3. He can handle the ball good which would make me think that he could help Bazz/Boat more than Lamb/Scoe/DD. it’s really hard to put #'s on him but his "glue" type game is really obvious as JC talked about last year. He makes the right passes and isn't afraid to risk his body. He boxed out well last year also. He seemed to take a while to adjust to the speed of the game here across the pond but he was quality minutes all day. He missed some development time when Jamal Coombs-McDaniel made a playing time push last year but look for him to be our 8th man I think. I hope his shot is there, it was a little sketchy last year at times. No doubt he doesn't hurt us on the court, but with this stacked roster he may struggle for time if others are filling it up. Having a glue guy like him is important for the long haul this season but I feel he may not get a lot of time when our rotation becomes a solid 8.

Scoe-kid plays great d and boards well. Good length for the 3. His shot was hit or miss at times last year. I look for him like lamb to finish more aggressively around the rim this year. He also likes to set up in the corners when guards are driving. I’m thinking he gets a lot of kick out shots from 3 in the corners. We will probably see him at the 4 some with DD at the 3 and Lamb at the 2, that lineup will be deadly on O if his shot improves. His ball handling is average to above for a 3 and he is a quality passing guy as well. He is my pick for exploding on the scene this year as everyone watches Bazz/Lamb/DD/AD.

DD-man oh man, what a great add late in the game. Just unreal, and people don't even think about it because of the AD situation. This kid is a stud in the making. I keep thinking a future mix of Rip/Rudy. It’s hard not to, right? His body looks like a Lamb/Scoe fresh year though. He may be a monster after a year here in the weight room. I expect him to be our 6th man this year. You can plug him in at the 3 and move whoever else is in and still have a great lineup. If a big gets in foul trouble look for Scoe to the 4 and DD to the 3. Look for him to just replace Scoe or Lamb even at the 2 at times. He may kill a lot of gif's minutes but that will be because he has earned them seeing the quality glue guy gif is. His shot seems good from videos/reports and he could be another great wing to come though Storrs when it’s all said and done.

Oface- I think he is going to get the same amount of playing time as last year, just in a different role. I don’t see him starting but I see him as our first big off the bench because of his versatility. We know from reports that he hit the weight room hard which will help because he struggled at times to handle other big men last year on the boards. He has a great mid range shot on him and he can stretch it to the 3, this team really doesn’t need him to be out there much though. I most look forward to him with Bazz working the pick and roll. That may be one of our go to plays when both of them are on the court together.

AO- kid is a beast, no doubt. He will play a lot more 4 which is where he would be at the next level. I think we need to see those foul line shots out of him but I’m not sure he has them in him. His shooting hasn’t really been there yet. I can in vision him looking more like a bigger Jeff Adrien over time this year. AO brings amazing chemistry to this team, it can’t be said enough. He passes well for a big out of the post and his d/boarding is great. I look for 10/10 out of him this year. At times last year he struggled with foul trouble. With AD next to him and length at the 2/3 I think that won’t be a big issue. I look for 30+ minutes out of AO this year.

Brad- a ? From reports and my own thoughts I see this. I see an AO body in the making with some good skills that are still being developed. He may not get much time this year but when he plays I will watch with excitement to see how the future may look with him. I’m not sure if he will be much of a contributor this year with the depth we have. He will battle for 4th big man minutes with wolf.

AD-holy cow! Yea he is a game changer. From everything seen/heard he is the real deal. Looks like he loves to pass which is crazy for a big like him and he aggressively finishes at the rim. His length just adds to our crazy wingspans. Come BE play we will quickly see how far he has come with BE bigs trying to post him up. I expect teams to go after him for foul trouble to try to get him out of sync. I can envision many Bazz alley hoops, can you? His ball handling also looks good in videos but he won’t need to be handling the ball outside at all. I could see where we work with him using the pick and roll like Oface but I’m not sure he has a shot on him yet like Oface. The big question with him seems to be how his body and inexperience come BE play will matchup in the rebounding game for us.

Wolf-looks like he hit the gym hard. Lost fat and gained some muscle. I put him in the same shoes as Bradley. Him and Bradley are in a tough competition in my opinion. If one is clearly better than that person will get the 4th big man minutes which will be a couple to none in most games and in some blowouts will be 15mins game time wise. The 4th big man will also be seen for a game like vs Pitt where both teams are in brutal foul trouble. I think I have seen wolf with an ok shot on him, but I doubt we will see much of it. Kid is big so he may get the nod over Brad based on size but how tough is he really underneath; I expect brad and wolf are in a battle for slim pickings of minutes this season.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Starting Lineup-SN/JL/RS/AO/AD
6th man-DD. His game will speak for itself and his size/versatility will make it easy to pull anyone from the starting lineup in the 2/3/4/5 and yet still have a solid lineup out there with size.
7th man-Boat. He will get important minutes as the floor general for this team when Bazz sees time on the bench. How quickly he grows into the role is the?
8th man- Oface, he will be the 3rd big as I see it right now and will gives us some quality minutes and a spark off the bench with his hybrid playing style, it fits this team well.
9th man-Gif, he will see some wing time 2/3 when its needed for a glue guy. DD kills his pt somewhat but he will earn his minutes and be solid when in there.
10/11man- Who ever win the battle for 4th big man will see more than the other. Usually early in the season we will see a 10man rotation.
I expect later in the season for JC to make his core lineup of 8 guys, the starting 5 I mentioned with Boat/DD/Oface as the key players off the bench. I think we’re going to see a lot of running the floor and AO/AD/TO are very good rim runners, look for us to push the tempo a lot this season. No matter who we plug in from player 1 to 11 on the roster, we have length that other teams don’t have. Maybe we don’t have a Thabet or Ok4 shot blocking wise but we have several guys who will be monsters down low, our D should be top 5 in the nation without a question. Playing Cuse this year will give us our best look at how good and important our length is. Not just because they play zone but because they may be 1 of 2 teams in the nation that has length like us, UNC being the other.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Starting Lineup-SN/JL/RS/AO/AD
6th man-DD. His game will speak for itself and his size/versatility will make it easy to pull anyone from the starting lineup in the 2/3/4/5 and yet still have a solid lineup out there with size.
7th man-Boat. He will get important minutes as the floor general for this team when Bazz sees time on the bench. How quickly he grows into the role is the?
8th man- Oface, he will be the 3rd big as I see it right now and will gives us some quality minutes and a spark off the bench with his hybrid playing style, it fits this team well.
9th man-Gif, he will see some wing time 2/3 when its needed for a glue guy. DD kills his pt somewhat but he will earn his minutes and be solid when in there.
10/11man- Who ever win the battle for 4th big man will see more than the other. Usually early in the season we will see a 10man rotation.
I expect later in the season for JC to make his core lineup of 8 guys, the starting 5 I mentioned with Boat/DD/Oface as the key players off the bench. I think we’re going to see a lot of running the floor and AO/AD/TO are very good rim runners, look for us to push the tempo a lot this season. No matter who we plug in from player 1 to 11 on the roster, we have length that other teams don’t have. Maybe we don’t have a Thabet or Ok4 shot blocking wise but we have several guys who will be monsters down low, our D should be top 5 in the nation without a question. Playing Cuse this year will give us our best look at how good and important our length is. Not just because they play zone but because they may be 1 of 2 teams in the nation that has length like us, UNC being the other.
Agree with all except the 8 man rotation. I think we go 9 deep. Going to be hard to keep gif and to off the court given hwo they accounted themselves last year in clutch situations.

Reaction Score
The length of your post brought tears of pride. :)

I don't have time to read it over now, but will when I get a chance. It's fun reading these types of posts, especially this time of year when there isn't a lot going on.

Reaction Score
The length of your post brought tears of pride. :)

I don't have time to read it over now, but will when I get a chance. It's fun reading these types of posts, especially this time of year when there isn't a lot going on.

LOL.....DogM...."I don't have time to read it now..."

Do you know how many times I've cut and pasted and printed off one of your posts figuring it would be the perfect length to read during lunch or breakfast???

Reaction Score
Very insightful post! I think we never got to see Wolf last year because of his knee problem, and coming in the 2nd semester. Less than two weeks!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good post!

Reaction Score
Pretty good stuff. DD does tend to be a forgotten addition in this class. What a huge get for us and reading posts like this make me very excited about the upcoming season. If this team gels and plays well together I wouldn't want to face us down the stretch. I feel like it might take some time for this team to play well together and we could see some struggles early in Big East play, but I have good faith that Calhoun can get the job done, like he has before.

Reaction Score
Nice post. It's great to have so much to be excited about. I hope the fans that are lucky enough to go to games this year really give these players some love.

Reaction Score
When I saw the length of this post, I assumed it was Dogmania under a pseudonym carried over to this site. Not so, now we have two. But these thorough discussions are always welcome, particularly pre-season. Now I am waiting for a later synopsis of player /team talent following some scrimmage efforts and maybe exhibition games from our Zyburg.(sp?) Always enjoy his in-depth team evaluations. Bring it on - I can almost see opening day of practice.

Reaction Score
LOL.....DogM...."I don't have time to read it now..."

Do you know how many times I've cut and pasted and printed off one of your posts figuring it would be the perfect length to read during lunch or breakfast???
I got a chuckle out of that too alex. How ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom