Roster Hopes | The Boneyard

Roster Hopes

Reaction Score
Thoughts have been expressed in many threads so I thought it might be useful to have a dedicated thread to minimize sidetracking threads on individual recruits.

We currently have 9 players
Guards: Diarra, Nowell, Ball
Frwds: Stewart, Ross, Abraham
Ctrs: Johnson, Reed, Singare

My Keys To a ThreePeat run
1. Karaban returns as 10th player
2 Diarra for sure stays (both Alax & Hassan are most important to culture, Hassan to shutdown defense)
3 McNeeley joins team (gives us the highest ceiling of all available players IMO) = player #11
4. Add an impact guard

McNeeley showed himself as a 5 star stud at Jordan Brand. He brings more versatility than I thought. I think both he and Stewart could play time at the 2 if we needed to matchup to a big 2, or if Hurley wanted to create an in game mismatch vs another team.

Nolan Traore's highlight clips impressed me. Great speed, deep shooting, clearly imposing his presence on the court, 6'3, reported as the equivalent of a 5* rating, and, his clips have me convinced that he is legit. If we can actually get involved, I suspect he would really help pursuit of #7. Recruiting this kid would be as important as McNeeley if we somehow lose Diarra.

Brea as a 6'6 50% shooter has to help and his importance elevates if we lose out on McNeeley.

The St Mary's guard would add to having a solid rotation

I think the initial starting lineup will be veterans, given how much there is to learn offensively to be totally in the flow and the right positions from the get go. Diarra, Ball, Johnson, Karaban, Stewart. Any of Reed, McNeely, or Nowell could become starters after they become totally immersed in the system. We played 9 going for #5 with Clingan, Calcaterra, Diarra, and Alleyne, coming off the bench. I think a ninth will get spot minutes this year as well, and maybe a 10th will be necessary to cover a few games missed due to injury/illness.

I think today and tomorrow are actually the most important days in the pursuit of #7

Reaction Score
Didn’t diarra say he was staying as reported by Fanta?

Reaction Score
I saw Borges indicating that Diarra was expected to stay but may have missed Diarra himself making that commitment. I may have missed Fanta reporting that affirmation.

Reaction Score
Do we feel that getting both McNeeley AND Traore is possible? If McNeeley were to commit first, do we think that Hurley would be looking for a significant contributor capable of getting and playing 20-25 minutes a game? Or more someone in the Greek Freak mode?

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Dear Santa,

Johnell Davis
Koby Brea
Kasean Pryor
Nolan Traore
Liam Neely
Boogie Fland

Any two, plus are current roster, with AK.

Reaction Score
Karaban + McNeeley + guard with (ideally) handle and shooting = great chance at 7.

For the guard, I'd love Traore but don't know if we have an "in" there or not. He'd be my first choice, but the others we've been connected to would fit the bill as well, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent than Traore would.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I want McNeeley, AK and a guard.

If I had to choose any available somewhat realistic guard, I’d say Traore and Mahaney would top my list.

Diarra, Nowell, Traore/Mahaney
McNeeley, Ball, Ross, Stewart, Karaban, Abraham
Reed, Johnson, Singare

I think we’re a top 5 team there.

Reaction Score
I've been saying we should add McNeeley and someone like Koby Brea but I feel like it'll be either or at this point. Hopefully it's McNeeley but either one would be really productive for the 1 year we'd have them

Would like Karaban back, if not Kasean Pryor or TJ Power (if there's even still mutual interest there) would be a nice fit.

Would like Diarra back, if he's not then bring in an experienced PG. We haven't been connected to anyone in that area so doesn't seem like that'll be needed

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I know our offense is pretty positionless, but I have a hard time seeing Stewart as a 2 next year (which I’ve seen suggested a lot) with 2 other forwards / non ball handlers on the floor.

I’d assume we would almost always have 2 of Diarra, Ball, Nowell or transfer guard on the floor at the same time together. Similar to how we were set up with Newton, Spencer, Castle and Hass this past year.

I see Karaban and Stewart playing together a lot, but not them plus another forward and only 1 guard… maybe Stewart is better with the ball in his hands than I give him credit for…

Reaction Score
this is what i'm referring to. altho i can't confirm the content of the link no one contradicted aburks
“One last one for the evening: Hass has communicated that he's coming back.” Straight from Jared Thomas who runs the BBFG NIL Collective.

He followed up saying “He's doing a podcast as we speak where that might become common knowledge so may as well share it now.”

Reaction Score
Nolan Traore's highlight clips impressed me. Great speed, deep shooting, clearly imposing his presence on the court, 6'3, reported as the equivalent of a 5* rating, and, his clips have me convinced that he is legit. If we can actually get involved, I suspect he would really help pursuit of #7. Recruiting this kid would be as important as McNeeley if we somehow lose Diarra.
great post. Traore, the more I watch, impresses the hell out of me. Has a feel for the game thats rare. You can watch Cam or Luka with high iq, but this guy seems to have it but with great quickness in his change of speeds. If he is coming to the US for a year before the pros, a fiba/Carril offense with a coaching staff like we have that preaches defense is exactly what he would need. Feel the same way about McNeeley. Super heady high IQ guys who could use a yr of toughness and D to get to the lottery.

Reaction Score
To realistically repeat next year, we would need to bring in more proven studs. Need guys that are candidates for best player in the country at their respective positions.

Being honest, who on next year’s roster besides Karaban meets that criteria?

2 years ago we had 3-4 such players (Sanogo, Hawkins, Jackson)

This year we had 4-5 (Clingan, Newton, Spencer, Karaban)

Next year we have a ton of great pieces, but I view it as more of a development year for 2026. Which is honestly fine with me.

Reaction Score
To realistically repeat next year, we would need to bring in more proven studs. Need guys that are candidates for best player in the country at their respective positions.

Next year we have a ton of great pieces, but I view it as more of a development year for 2026. Which is honestly fine with me.
I don't really disagree except we can also point to 2014 with 2 undersized guards, no all american frontcourt players, and we still won it all. It just means it isn't automatic to be an odds on favorite all year. Giffey & Daniels were the type of guys that would fit this run we have now. Giffey & Karaban would be off the IQ chart

Reaction Score

You forgot Castle

Reaction Score

I think it's a stretch to say two years ago we had 3-4 guys who were candidates for best at their position in the country. I see two possibly in Sanogo and Hawkins. Clingan was awesome but didn't play enough minutes to be in any argument for best player at his position, Jackson was great but I wouldn't try to argue he was the best at his position.

Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Karaban, McNeeley, Samson would be a pretty awesome core and five guys with national championship experience. Plus Ross, Hoss, Nowell, Abraham, Singare and whoever else we bring in.

Reaction Score
I want McNeeley, AK and a guard.

If I had to choose any available somewhat realistic guard, I’d say Traore and Mahaney would top my list.

Diarra, Nowell, Traore/Mahaney
McNeeley, Ball, Ross, Stewart, Karaban, Abraham
Reed, Johnson, Singare

I think we’re a top 5 team there.
Maybe Flagg decommits from Duke. The meltdown of all meltdowns. Lol

Reaction Score

i agree. if AK comes back and we get Liam i'd be happy w/ a sweet 16 after going back to back. Let's see if we get another starting quality G in the portal.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Karaban, McNeeley, Samson would be a pretty awesome core and five guys with national championship experience. Plus Ross, Hoss, Nowell, Abraham, Singare and whoever else we bring in.
No argument that it would be a great core. But when you have what we had this year, five of the top 20 or 25 players in the entire country, it's going to be a comedown when they leave.

Reaction Score
Thoughts have been expressed in many threads so I thought it might be useful to have a dedicated thread to minimize sidetracking threads on individual recruits.

2 Diarra for sure stays (both Alax & Hassan are most important to culture, Hassan to shutdown defense)
3 McNeeley joins team (gives us the highest ceiling of all available players IMO) = player #11
4. Add an impact guard

McNeeley showed himself as a 5 star stud at Jordan Brand. He brings more versatility than I thought. I think both he and Stewart could play time at the 2 if we needed to matchup to a big 2, or if Hurley wanted to create an in game mismatch vs another team.

Brea as a 6'6 50% shooter has to help and his importance elevates if we lose out on McNeeley.

I think the initial starting lineup will be veterans, given how much there is to learn offensively to be totally in the flow and the right positions from the get go. Diarra, Ball, Johnson, Karaban, Stewart. Any of Reed, McNeely, or Nowell could become starters after they become totally immersed in the system. We played 9 going for #5 with Clingan, Calcaterra, Diarra, and Alleyne, coming off the bench. I think a ninth will get spot minutes this year as well, and maybe a 10th will be necessary to cover a few games missed due to injury/illness.

I think today and tomorrow are actually the most important days in the pursuit of #7
You willed Karaban onto the team and for that you'll forever be part of Boneyard "lore" and may even be granted a waiver of the Five Year Rule for early entry into the Boneyard Hall of Fame.

Having said that, there are some sticklers that are resisting the waiver but could be swayed if you deliver McNeeley..........ball's in your court and many of us are rooting for you!

Reaction Score

4. Add an impact guard

If AK comes back and we get Liam, aren’t we overly forward centric? Or can Ross or Liam play the 2? If not, and we bring in another G, will Ross/Abraham be ok with minimal playing time?

Reaction Score
No argument that it would be a great core. But when you have what we had this year, five of the top 20 or 25 players in the entire country, it's going to be a comedown when they leave.
Agreed, it's likely we'll never again see what we saw here this past season. That was the best UConn team ever and the most dominant tournament team of the modern era.

Reaction Score
If AK comes back and we get Liam, aren’t we overly forward centric? Or can Ross or Liam play the 2? If not, and we bring in another G, will Ross/Abraham be ok with minimal playing time?
It makes us wildly versatile. A bunch of guys who can play 2-4 with shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom