Roster and Depth | The Boneyard

Roster and Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am guessing the starting lineup will consist of Brimah, Miller, Hamilton, Purvis and Gibbs. Adams should get big minutes as a freshman and Facey could log significant minutes as well. That leaves Cassell, Omar, Nolan and Enoch competing for the remainder of playing time.

Thoughts as to depth and minutes? Looking forward to the replies.

Reaction Score
With **good team chemistry** you would be shocked to what extent "competitive depth" has on a team's overall success. Withstanding the typical injuries and still being in strong position to field a dynamic team on game days, and being able to have VERY intense practices that greatly improve the level of play for every player each and every day. This team does have the capability of utilizing depth to their advantage.

Reaction Score
Gibbs will start at PG with Adams backing him up. They should see some time on the court together.
Purvis will start at SG with Cassell backing him up.
Hamilton will start at SF with Omar backing him up.
Miller will start at PF with Facey backing him up.
Brimah will start at C with Nolan backing him up.
Enoch I'm not too sure about.

My guess for minutes and (points)--
Purvis: 30 (15)
Gibbs: 25 (16)
Hamilton: 25 (12)
Brimah: 25 (10)
Adams: 25 (7)
Miller: 20 (8)
Facey: 15 (5)
Cassell: 10 (4)
Omar: 10 (4)
Nolan: 10 (2)
Enoch: 5 (1)

Reaction Score
Gibbs will start at PG with Adams backing him up. They should see some time on the court together.

i think this is wrong. First, Hamilton will play atleast 30 mpg probably 33-35, Gibbs around the same. Miller around 25-30 as well. And their points will be allocated according to their difference in PT. I think Hamilton leads our team in points with about 15, Purvis and Gibbs with 14, Miller with 12 and Brimah with 11-13 range.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling Adams will be tough to keep off the floor. Starters are gunna need to play well.

Reaction Score

I think you are too low on the minutes that Gibbs, Miller and Hamilton will play. Also, you have the team averaging 84 points before the walkons ever score a bucket. I would be happy with an average of 75-78 points per game.

One final note, I would be shocked if Hamilton only averaged 12 ppg.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Sorry - it never works out with numbers like that. Purvis, Gibbs and Hamilton will all see 32+ minutes. You don't leave a Hamilton or a Gibbs on the bench for 15 minutes a game. They get a 3 or 4 minute breather per half - same with Purvis. 7 guys almost always dominate the minutes played - occasionally 8.

Cassell, Omar and Nolan do not get 30 minutes between them - one could carve 7 or 8 minutes if they really excel.

Just going on quick numbers without putting too much work in:
Purvis 32
Gibbs 32
Hamilton 32
Brimah 28 (if he can stay out of foul trouble)
Miller 30
Adams 20
Facey 15
Cassell/Omar/Nolan/Enoch combine for 10.
Walkons combine for one minute average per game.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
Gibbs will start at PG with Adams backing him up. They should see some time on the court together. Purvis will start at SG with Cassell backing him up. Hamilton will start at SF with Omar backing him up. Miller will start at PF with Facey backing him up. Brimah will start at C with Nolan backing him up. Enoch I'm not too sure about. My guess for minutes and (points)-- Purvis: 30 (15) Gibbs: 25 (16) Hamilton: 25 (12) Brimah: 25 (10) Adams: 25 (7) Miller: 20 (8) Facey: 15 (5) Cassell: 10 (4) Omar: 10 (4) Nolan: 10 (2) Enoch: 5 (1)

No chance we have 10 players averaging double digit minutes and we will not average 82 ppg as a team (although that would be nice)

Reaction Score
I don't know how the minutes will be distributed but it could change a lot from game to game. There will be some surprises and disappointments. Players like Cassell and Omar could end getting more minutes than projected especially if Purvis is inconsistent.
By the end of the season we could see Adams and Enoch playing more than Miller and Gibbs. It really is a crap shoot with so many talented players but it is a nice problem for KO to have.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Sorry - it never works out with numbers like that. Purvis, Gibbs and Hamilton will all see 32+ minutes. You don't leave a Hamilton or a Gibbs on the bench for 15 minutes a game. They get a 3 or 4 minute breather per half - same with Purvis. 7 guys almost always dominate the minutes played - occasionally 8.

Cassell, Omar and Nolan do not get 30 minutes between them - one could carve 7 or 8 minutes if they really excel.

Just going on quick numbers without putting too much work in:
Purvis 32
Gibbs 32
Hamilton 32
Brimah 28 (if he can stay out of foul trouble)
Miller 30
Adams 20
Facey 15
Cassell/Omar/Nolan/Enoch combine for 10.
Walkons combine for one minute average per game.

I would generally agree with this, but would increase Jalen's minutes and Nolan's minutes (while subtracting some for Facey). I wonder who the surprise will be.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I think you are too low on the minutes that Gibbs, Miller and Hamilton will play. Also, you have the team averaging 84 points before the walkons ever score a bucket. I would be happy with an average of 75-78 points per game.

One final note, I would be shocked if Hamilton only averaged 12 ppg.
Well maybe he was taking into account the b-dubs promo for free wings 84 points would mean less booing at victories, haha.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know how the minutes will be distributed but it could change a lot from game to game. There will be some surprises and disappointments. Players like Cassell and Omar could end getting more minutes than projected especially if Purvis is inconsistent.
By the end of the season we could see Adams and Enoch playing more than Miller and Gibbs. It really is a crap shoot with so many talented players but it is a nice problem for KO to have.
Can't see any way Enoch gets more minutes than miller at any point of the season barring injury.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I can guarantee there will be that one surprise. It could be maybe Gibbs gets demoted to a backup role to Adams (although they will likely be on the floor together), or Facey takes over Miller's spot, or even Purvis gets demoted depending on his consistency. I think the only guaranteed significant minutes are going to come from Hamilton and Brimah. They are the most important players, and the meat of this team. Hamilton is going to be the best player on the floor this year. Then again, I was high on Jeremy Lamb after his freshman year (and I think Jeremy Lamb was perpetually high himself). Although we will probably see plenty of small ball this year with Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Ham and Miller, Brimah is an irreplaceable force.

Either Cassell or Calhoun will be the odd man out. Likely Cassell.

Reaction Score
Either Cassell or Calhoun will be the odd man out. Likely Cassell.
Agreed. Guy does not have the speed or talent to get significant minutes. In the first 7 games last year, he averaged over 20 minutes a game. In 7 of his last 11 games, he played 8 minutes or less. That was on a team that had only one ball handler and was desperate for scoring. If he couldn't carve out more than 8 minutes on that team, where does he find minutes on a team with a hopefully improved Purvis, a wizened veteran sharpshooter in Gibbs, a dynamic freshman in Adams, and so on? Answer - he does not.
Calhoun has the athleticism and scoring ability to play. On this year's team, which I expect to win many games going away, Calhoun has the chance to be a 10 minute a game guy who comes in, no pressure, knocks down open looks, battles for boards, and plays stiff D.
200 minutes total, right?
For the rest, Gibbs, Purvis (if he continues where he left off), Hamilton, Brimah, Miller all play at least 25 minutes a game. That's 125 minutes right there. At least. That leaves 75 minutes, max, for Adams, Nolan, Facey, Calhoun, Enoch. Figure 20/10/5/10/5. 25 minutes left up in the air, but likely to go to the starters.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a team with a definite starting 5, a definite 6th man off the bench (Adams or whomever he replaces in the starting line up), and then 3 guys who play very limited minutes to give breathers and help with foul trouble.

This team has sleeper written all over it.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If he couldn't carve out more than 8 minutes on that team, where does he find minutes on a team with a hopefully improved Purvis, a wizened veteran sharpshooter in Gibbs, a dynamic freshman in Adams, and so on? Answer - he does not.
I guess it all depends on how much you buy into the narrative that his stress fracture was becoming increasingly prohibitive last year. If it was holding down his shot % and his speed on the floor down who knows what we missed out on last year. I keep thinking of that early season spin down the lane finish in traffic Sam II am flashed last November. I wonder if that guy is still lurking.

Reaction Score
Miller 20 minutes a game? Please. The one thing not factored in is injuries which will ultimately get a lot of players that you wouldn't think more floor time. I hate them but it will happen, especially as hard as KO pushes them. Until I see with my own eyes, I don't buy the early word on Sam being Chris Paul.

Reaction Score
Miller 20 minutes a game? Please. The one thing not factored in is injuries which will ultimately get a lot of players that you wouldn't think more floor time. I hate them but it will happen, especially as hard as KO pushes them. Until I see with my own eyes, I don't buy the early word on Sam being Chris Paul.

Maximum velocity strawman

Reaction Score
Miller 20 minutes a game? Please. The one thing not factored in is injuries which will ultimately get a lot of players that you wouldn't think more floor time. I hate them but it will happen, especially as hard as KO pushes them. Until I see with my own eyes, I don't buy the early word on Sam being Chris Paul.[/
I don't buy the Chris Paul comparison either. Also not sure about Miller, he has as much to prove at this level as Cassell. Miller has to rebound well or he may get less than 20 mins. per game. Except for Brimah and Hamilton, the starters are going to be pressured for PT by some very good players on the bench. This is going to be one of those interesting years where the team could look quite different at tourney time than the team that starts the year.

C

Chief00

I expect this every preseason when we have a deep rooster - posts about depth and all the benefits of it and how due to it we will win all these games.

I am sure all well intentioned posts by fans however Chief00 needs to reiterate again - basketball is about a superstar and 2 very good players - with an additional 5 players who play their roles well - then throw in the intangibles that add up to great team chemistry.

Sure coaches love having a lot of bodies in practice who play decent - but to win games the above is what it takes.

But to all you fans I give you credit for learning about all the players on the team - and respecting them for their commitment of time and passion. That's a good thing!

And for the record, I think we will become very good at some point this season. However, as previously posted most of our toughest games are in 2015 - so we need to hit the ground running and that's not always easy with so many new key guys such as Adams, Miller and Gibbs.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
I expect this every preseason when we have a deep rooster - posts about depth and all the benefits of it and how due to it we will win all these games. I am sure all well intentioned posts by fans however Chief00 needs to reiterate again - basketball is about a superstar and 2 very good players - with an additional 5 players who play their roles well - then throw in the intangibles that add up to great team chemistry. Sure coaches love having a lot of bodies in practice who play decent - but to win games the above is what it takes. But to all you fans I give you credit for learning about all the players on the team - and respecting them for their commitment of time and passion. That's a good thing! And for the record, I think we will become very good at some point this season. However, as previously posted most of our toughest games are in 2015 - so we need to hit the ground running and that's not always easy with so many new key guys such as Adams, Miller and Gibbs.

Despite the condescension, I generally agree.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Despite the condescension, I generally agree.
We're projecting things with so many unknowns. Really appreciate people putting in their opinions but in a manner that recognizes this.

I'm not worried about minutes or scoring. More hopeful the team comes together at some point in the season although obviously sooner is better. Rather than projecting who gets and does what I'm hoping KO has lots of options because players can adapt to different roles and different groups that KO chooses to put on the floor. That will allow KO to exploit advantages against opponents

I'm not in the camp that believes the AAC is as bad as last season. South Florida certainly but I think many of the teams will be improved over last season. I think the OOC performance by the AAC members will surprise a lot of people this season.

C

Chief00

We're projecting things with so many unknowns. Really appreciate people putting in their opinions but in a manner that recognizes this.

I'm not worried about minutes or scoring. More hopeful the team comes together at some point in the season although obviously sooner is better. Rather than projecting who gets and does what I'm hoping KO has lots of options because players can adapt to different roles and different groups that KO chooses to put on the floor. That will allow KO to exploit advantages against opponents

I'm not in the camp that believes the AAC is as bad as last season. South Florida certainly but I think many of the teams will be improved over last season. I think the OOC performance by the AAC members will surprise a lot of people this season.

Sometimes too many options of roughly equal ability creates nothing but confusion, unhappy players and poor chemistry.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sometimes too many options of roughly equal ability creates nothing but confusion, unhappy players and poor chemistry.
I agree. That's where a good coach comes in. I am confident with KO.

Reaction Score
I expect this every preseason when we have a deep rooster - posts about depth and all the benefits of it and how due to it we will win all these games.

I am sure all well intentioned posts by fans however Chief00 needs to reiterate again - basketball is about a superstar and 2 very good players - with an additional 5 players who play their roles well - then throw in the intangibles that add up to great team chemistry.

Sure coaches love having a lot of bodies in practice who play decent - but to win games the above is what it takes.

But to all you fans I give you credit for learning about all the players on the team - and respecting them for their commitment of time and passion. That's a good thing!

And for the record, I think we will become very good at some point this season. However, as previously posted most of our toughest games are in 2015 - so we need to hit the ground running and that's not always easy with so many new key guys such as Adams, Miller and Gibbs.
What an ' idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky