Roscoe on espn 2 | The Boneyard

Roscoe on espn 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Roscoe gives his all out there. He absolutely stuffed Aaron Gordon on one play and he totally sacrifices his body to get rebounds. He also moves his feet very well to get into defensive position (regrettably, his teammates often don't follow suit). UNLV is hanging tough with U of AZ in the first half.

For offensive rebounds, he plays possum that he isn't going anywhere and then times a quick sprint to get into position for the OR. Reminds me a lot of Rodman.

Then he just stuffed Tarczewski, the 7 footer

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
wish we still had him. Would be perfect for this year.

Reaction Score
wish we still had him. Would be perfect for this year.

Yep perfect....then DD would never play and we couldn't score because Roscoe's offense blows.......one or the other? I'm good with where we are now! I'm sure we couldn't be better than 9-0 with Roscoe now could we?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Roscoe bailed. He had ten toes out. He took the down escalator. He couldn't hang for 24 hours. He sleeps. He's just going through life. He stopped trying at UConn. He brought some sugar but apparently doesn't like hot sauce.

He gone!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Roscoe bailed. He had ten toes out. He took the down escalator. He couldn't hang for 24 hours. He sleeps. He's just going through life. He stopped trying at UConn. He brought some sugar but apparently doesn't like hot sauce.

He gone!

I can certainly understand that sentiment and as a fan it's tough to back a kid who leaves your team. These things happen though - sometimes you leave one place when you think you have a better opportunity elsewhere. I think Roscoe was upset about the way he was put on hold for DD and while I don't like what he did, I can understand it.

I can't say that I know Roscoe Smith as such, but I have met him and briefly spokenwith him and he's a hell of a nice guy. That's what makes it tough for me not to root for him. Equally important is the fact that he never threw UConn or the coaching staff under the bus unlike another guy who shall remain nameless. He's the only guy to transfer out who I wish had not done so.

My apologies on the "spokenwith" my computer is on insert mode and doesn't seem to want to get off.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Well he's the second guy to transfer (or maybe not just transfer, but leave the team, I don't know the exact situation) that I wish hadn't done so. I miss Brendan Allen and having my son do the Carlton Dance whenever he checked into the game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yep perfect....then DD would never play and we couldn't score because Roscoe's offense blows.......one or the other? I'm good with where we are now! I'm sure we couldn't be better than 9-0 with Roscoe now could we?

Honestly, I'd play Roscoe and DD as a 4/4 combo instead of a normal 4/5! I'm not so much thinking about our record, but what we could be as a team.

I don't have much faith in that (5) position yet, and am hoping one or more guys comes around. The downside is that it would cut into developing guys minutes, but the plus side on the energy, rebounding, defense would be too much to ignore. He'd give up height/weight, but he's strong and quick and aggressive.

None of this matters of course....as it's not relevant in the least. Just a bit of harmless speculation.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd play Roscoe and DD as a 4/4 combo instead of a normal 4/5! I'm not so much thinking about our record, but what we could be as a team.

I don't have much faith in that (5) position yet, and am hoping one or more guys comes around. The downside is that it would cut into developing guys minutes, but the plus side on the energy, rebounding, defense would be too much to ignore. He'd give up height/weight, but he's strong and quick and aggressive.

None of this matters of course....as it's not relevant in the least. Just a bit of harmless speculation.
Roscoe was guarding zonas biggest big most of the time, very effectively. It's a shame him and birch are the only ones who defend. Would love to have him, but we also have to understand him leaving directly lead to giffeys and daniels improvement tenfold.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Roscoe was guarding zonas biggest big most of the time, very effectively. It's a shame him and birch are the only ones who defend. Would love to have him, but we also have to understand him leaving directly lead to giffeys and daniels improvement tenfold.

Oh absolutely. I'm not pining away for him, and his inclusion on the team definitely could have hurt other parts.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We'd be a a year-long top 5 team with Roscoe at the 4, DD at the 3 (his true position), and a rotation at the 5. Giff and Omar off the bench. We would get 12+ rebounds a night from Roscoe and it would let DD play more aggressively.

We'd definitely be better, but that's water over the dam. That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.

Reaction Score
We'd be a a year-long top 5 team with Roscoe at the 4, DD at the 3 (his true position), and a rotation at the 5. Giff and Omar off the bench. We would get 12+ rebounds a night from Roscoe and it would let DD play more aggressively.

We'd definitely be better, but that's water over the dam. That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.

Deandre's success on offense is pretty directly attributable to his playing the 4. I don't know why you'd think it would be beneficial to the team to basically remove him as an offensive threat by putting him at the 3, where'd he be matched up with guys he simply can't take off the bounce. (We've seen him, Stanley, Rudy, et al. struggle at the wing - at a certain point people might start to recognize a pattern.) Not only that, while his "true position" at the next level (hypothetically) is as a wing, it's just not in college. Put him and Roscoe at the 3 and 4 and all of a sudden 3/5 positions on the court cannot handle the ball at all.

I would love to have Roscoe on this team to rebound, but I don't know how anyone who actually watches these players could suggest that they'd be better with Deandre at the 3.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Deandre's success on offense is pretty directly attributable to his playing the 4. I don't know why you'd think it would be beneficial to the team to basically remove him as an offensive threat by putting him at the 3, where'd he be matched up with guys he simply can't take off the bounce. (We've seen him, Stanley, Rudy, et al. struggle at the wing - at a certain point people might start to recognize a pattern.) Not only that, while his "true position" at the next level (hypothetically) is as a wing, it's just not in college. Put him and Roscoe at the 3 and 4 and all of a sudden 3/5 positions on the court cannot handle the ball at all.

I would love to have Roscoe on this team to rebound, but I don't know how anyone who actually watches these players could suggest that they'd be better with Deandre at the 3.
DeAndre should be playing the 3, that's his natural position. And he rarely takes people off the bounce and drives. Mainly shoots 3's or posts a man up down low. Either that or catch and shoot jumpers. I've never seen him drive this season.

Him at the 3 would benefit him the most, the team? Not sure. Nobody can prove they can rebound.

Reaction Score
We knew Alex O was leaving; Roscoe's exodus came as a complete surprise and left us in a jam that we've yet to rebound from. No pun intended.

Reaction Score
DeAndre should be playing the 3, that's his natural position. And he rarely takes people off the bounce and drives. Mainly shoots 3's or posts a man up down low. Either that or catch and shoot jumpers. I've never seen him drive this season.

Him at the 3 would benefit him the most, the team? Not sure. Nobody can prove they can rebound.
It would also eliminate the quickness advantage he has against most college PFs and would likely force him to shoot more 3-pointers ... something that definitely would not benefit the team.

I'm not sure why people are dead-set on UConn playing traditionally sized lineups. We now have a +40-game sample size that proves DeAndre (and the team) is at his best at the 4. Why change that?

Reaction Score

#1 no one can say we'd be better than 9-0....#2 who would still be here if Roscoe were here? Giff may have stayed in Germany and we all know DD was thinking about leaving and he may have.....#3 Kromah would not be no open spot on the roster!

No we wouldn't be better and we're just fine as is, Roscoe was Roscoe vs Arizona. Let's not even think that 10 and 6 is anything special for 35 minutes vs a very good Arizona team. That's when you rise - he didn't@...sorry CT!! He may have had 20 rebounds against Maine?

Reaction Score
There's a difference between what position DD would hypothetically play in the NBA and what position he should be playing on our team, this year, in college.

He is a prototypical NBA 3, in the mold of Kevin Durant. However, that type of player almost exclusively plays the 4 in college, unless coached by Jim Calhoun and paired with two stud big men (which never happens).

Reaction Score
There's a difference between what position DD would hypothetically play in the NBA and what position he should be playing on our team, this year, in college.

He is a prototypical NBA 3, in the mold of Kevin Durant. However, that type of player almost exclusively plays the 4 in college, unless coached by Jim Calhoun and paired with two stud big men (which never happens).

I agree with the whole DD is better suited at the 4 in college viewpoint, but JC isn't the only who played NBA sized SFs as SFs in college. Boeheim has been doing it for awhile now(Melo played SF & PF) and currently does it withh CJ Fair and Jerami Grant, who both split time between the 3/4, UNC also did it with Harrison Barnes, and Kansas is doing it with Wiggins now. Also, the prototype you compared him to, Durant, also played SF at Texas with Damian James at PF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom