Rory McIlroy/Quail Hollow | The Boneyard

Rory McIlroy/Quail Hollow

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Rory 2 up going to 17- looking to win his 3rd title at the Wells Fargo Championship. Is he all the way back?

Drew

Reaction Score
Rory 2 up going to 17- looking to win his 3rd title at the Wells Fargo Championship. Is he all the way back?
And now just pulled it left on 18 right next to the creek (possibly in)?? Wow.

Drew

Reaction Score
Rory salvages bogey and wins by a stroke.

I love his game and am glad to see him back playing well. He drove it incredibly well this week- will be a guy to watch with the PGA in Kiawah starting in 2 weeks

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Quail Hollow is set up for the big hitters. No real penalty for being long and in the rough compared to short and in the fairway.

No shocking analysis here- If Rory is hitting fairways off the tee and his putter is even average he is a threat on any course.

Ancer had a nice finish today and his game translates well to so many courses. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win the PGA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure if I should be surprised or not but Rory the favorite in Kiawah now:

For the money I'd take Berger, Cantlay, Schauffele, and Morikawa.

Anyone who puts a penny on Koepka is a fool.

Also fools will throw down on Zalatoris. As much as I like him long term, don't like him at Kiawah. Not yet at least.

Drew

Reaction Score

Also fools will throw down on Zalatoris. As much as I like him long term, don't like him at Kiawah. Not yet at least.
Hovland 25/1 is intriguing as is JT

VCE

Reaction Score
I think it was Mitchell at 18 putting when something surfaced in the water behind him. Anyone catch it? And what was it?

Drew

Reaction Score
I think it was Mitchell at 18 putting when something surfaced in the water behind him. Anyone catch it? And what was it?
Saw that too. It was Mitchell after the par putt he missed on 17. It was the head of a turtle- Charlotte is inland and Quail has that pond that runs along the last 6 or so holes. Still looked pretty cool, definitely made our group chuckle.

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
Favorite story of the week has to be Bryson being so far back from the cut after his 2nd round that he flew back to Dallas and then landed and realized he was going to have to fly back. Left Sat at 2:45 AM to go back and ends up finishing top 10.

Reaction Score
Rory has switched from a draw to a high cut off the tee. All the bombers now play that shot shape with driver.
For Kiawah, gotta assume it will be windy and it plays linksy, right? I'm going with guys who can chip and putt it. My initial thought is Pat Reed

Reaction Score
Was rooting for Rory, he supports the Travelers.
There was a great quote from Rory about the Travelers Championship from an article recently. Said something about how when you tee off on Thursday at River Highlands at 7am you get a big crowd and how you don’t get that at other non major tournaments. Good stuff!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Rory has switched from a draw to a high cut off the tee. All the bombers now play that shot shape with driver.
For Kiawah, gotta assume it will be windy and it plays linksy, right? I'm going with guys who can chip and putt it. My initial thought is Pat Reed

Course is unique with its layout.

Most pros have a driving 2-iron they can out in their bag and hit low burners that roll out to 275-280. They don't all carry it every week but expect to hear plenty about it at Kiawah.

Reed isn't a bad pick.

Also, grass is a newer strain that grows straight up. It's on the fairways which will give nice fluffy lies and on the greens. Greens will not have much grain on them. The greens will roll true all day long. Real cool stuff for ocean courses which require a very hearty strain to deal with salt water, sand and wind.

Paspalum.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I should be surprised or not but Rory the favorite in Kiawah now:

Interesting to see Gary Woodland so far down the list at 80-1. He's one of the best there is at that low stinger kind of wind-cheater shot. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him do well at Kiawah.

Reaction Score
Quail Hollow is set up for the big hitters. No real penalty for being long and in the rough compared to short and in the fairway.

No shocking analysis here- If Rory is hitting fairways off the tee and his putter is even average he is a threat on any course.

Ancer had a nice finish today and his game translates well to so many courses. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win the PGA.
Maybe not long enough for some venues, but he’s been hanging around s lot lately.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Last time PGA was at Kiawah in 2012, top 10 was five guys from UK, two Swedes, and three from US (Bradley, Adams, Stricker). Only McIlroy and Bradley had previously won a major (Rose won his later).

Suggests to me that if not McIlroy, then it'll be someone who's never won a major before, which is common for PGA anyway. And probably a Euro.

I think it bodes well for Hovland, Ancer, Fleetwood and Rahm.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Anyone who bets on a golf winner is a fool. Way, way too many variables. No Nicklauses or Woods these days. A whole bunch of top 10 talented players anyone of whom can have a week and several others who aren’t unimaginable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone who bets on a golf winner is a fool. Way, way too many variables. No Nicklauses or Woods these days. A whole bunch of top 10 talented players anyone of whom can have a week and several others who aren’t unimaginable.
That's why you get odds.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bookies love you.
I hit a NASCAR race at 30-1. I can lose my next 27 NASCAR bets and still be up. Admittedly, besides the odd pool, I don't bet FB anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom